Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

waveform wrote: »
    There are absolutely no on screen notifications of new messages, replies, video responses etc....
    it must be just you :P because even I get them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

DinoRex wrote: »
    Apologies for the Prometheus spoiler but he ends up bound to a rock with his liver being eaten by an eagle only for it to grow back and be eaten again the next day!

3pf7tu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Sera wrote: »
    it must be just you :P because even I get them

Maybe there is hope!

Where do you get the notifications for them?

And are they not hidden away?

Currently my inbox is hidden on my profile.

I have to click the drop down arrow next to my username, at the top right corner of the screen, to show the inbox link.

I'm hoping there's away of having it expanded the whole time.

It could really benefit from an icon that goes red, like you'd see on facebook and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just back from Prometheus and it confirmed everything i feared about engineers and jockeys - the evil feckers that can't be trusted.
    Immediately went and bought the Alien Anthology in town then to watch later. Must if been a good film.
    Just got seriously grossed out as well. Walked the dog in the woods earlier today. Just took off my shirt and spotted a tick! on my arm. Tiny little guy gone now but my skin is crawling and watching an alien movie doesn't help!
    Anyone see that new Wes Anderson flick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

WDFBx.jpg

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »

I was only trying that extension out about 10 minutes ago,

but it doesn't notify you of new messages, or comments or anything like that.

Only new videos in subcscriptions and things like that

Same problem with rockmelt.

I'm beginning to think that the youtube API just makes it difficult for applications like these to notify you of new events in social interaction.

My head is actually wrecked from it!

They really ruined the site with this new(ish) dark grey layout that hides everything imo.

Maybe there is hope!
    Where do you get the notifications for them?
    I screen capped and circled, I haven't any at the moment but that's where they go, using Firefox btw

skull_kid_high_detail_custom_doll_by_saddayscrochet-d51bf75.jpg

I screen capped and circled, I haven't any at the moment but that's where they go, using Firefox btw

Thanks for the help Sera! <3

Unfortunately nothing is appearing for me on chrome, or firefox. :(

Here's a screeny of my own:

wtfeK.jpg

I just sent myself a message, and there's no notification on the left.

As you can see I have the drop down thingy expanded at the top right,

and you can see that the inbox has a (1) next to it.

Now if there was some way of keeping that expanded permanently....

I'd really love to meet the people who redesigned youtube, and scream in their face about how much they ****ed it up!

Good oul days when there actually was an on screen notifications for new messages and stuff.

That was a long time ago though.

I'd really love to meet the people who redesigned youtube, and scream in their face about how much they ****ed it up!
    The only I'd a problem with is you can't A - Z the playlists :/
    well you can if you want to add it to a playlist but you've to do it everytime

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Anyone see that new Wes Anderson flick?

Yup, and I really enjoyed the tale... the eternal story of two young kids on an isolated island, running away before finding the key to humanities creation before everyone gets eaten/dissolved/burnt or crushed.... oh hold on, bugger, Prometheus has cross infected every film I try to remember!!!

The only I'd a problem with is you can't A - Z the playlists :/
    well you can if you want to add it to a playlist but you've to do it everytime

What really wrecks my head also, is that you can't put your subscriptions in different categories.

So you just end up with a really long list of channels you're subscribed to.

And then you're trying to figure out which user is which, because there's so many non descriptive usernames!

And I've searched about subscription categories before, and saw it suggested by a lot of people many times on the google group / feedback thingy!

They just don't listen though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saw Prometheus. A mess but a fascinating one. Easily the most interesting blockbuster to come out of Hollywood from a while, although also a deeply flawed one. Well worth a watch nonetheless though.

Controversial poster quote: "Better than The Avengers!"

What mess?
    I am just ignorant?
    I loved it!
    Aside from the steadily more tiresome "quotes" from previous films in the franchise.
    I'm surprised no one offered to "Nuke it from orbit", nor were any bitches warned to stay away from any "hers"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Saw Prometheus. A mess but a fascinating one. Easily the most interesting blockbuster to come out of Hollywood from a while, although also a deeply flawed one. Well worth a watch nonetheless though.

Controversial poster quote: "Better than The Avengers!"

Just back from it myself and found myself enjoying every minute of it. I thought it really raised more questions than it answered but was still a really good watch. Have to watch the original Alien films now during the week. But I'd recommend everyone to go see it.

plus I want to take Noomi Rapace out for dinner and a show

noomi-rapace-prometheus1.jpg

SPOILER
    I felt the tenticle "final boss" was a bit phoned it because its been done is so many other films but then after thinking about it while I was walking out it clicked with me what it was....after all isn't this weekend celebrating the queen :D

Lots of stuff certainly happens in the film, but there's absolutely no real lasting implications for any of it.

Overall it feels like a shoddy remake of the original.

But it does look great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just watching Alien now. Been so long since I've seen it that's it's like the first time again. The jockey is still in his chair in it but in the new one
    he goes after Shaw and gets face hugged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Here are my more in-depth ponderings on Prometheus: http://www.filmhaha.com/2012/06/review-prometheus.html Probably a few hundred words longer than it necessarily needs to be, but screw it! I fart in the general direction of word counts.

Also, Noomi Rapace is boss.

I thought she was f*cking awful.

Her and her boyfriend were just complete and utter idiots!

I hated most of the characters actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The boyfriend deserved to be set alight. And good to see Theron crushed, too. Weyland had the worst make-up I've ever seen.

I don't think it emerges favourably if you analyse it as a 'traditional' blockbuster. However, it has smarts completely devoid in 99% of Hollywood output, and for that I can only praise it.

cPvS9.gif

• Advertisement

This video is cheering me up, he's basically doing all the ranting for me:

I don't think it emerges favourably if you analyse it as a 'traditional' blockbuster. However, it has smarts completely devoid in 99% of Hollywood output, and for that I can only praise it.

Ah yeah. I respect that it's a science fiction film that isn't an action film. It just has too many ideas (most of them not very good, and most of them lifted from the original) and doesn't give them any space to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Been taking a lot of notice of how much Youtube sucks for keeping up with social interaction with other users lately.

There are absolutely no on screen notifications of new messages, replies, video responses etc....

Instead you're forced manually to click the drop down button next to your name,
    click inbox -> click messages etc...

It's an absolute joke.

Even the "Send message button" on profiles has been done away with it,

and you have to click a drop down arrow for that.

Why the **** do you keep hiding things on me youtube!

They're trying to railroad you into using Google+.
    Does anyone know of a better way of managing your account?

I've just downloaded the Rockmelt browser now in the hope that it will give me notifications.

I'm not a fan of e-mail notifications either every time someone replies to a comment, either so I have those disabled.

If anyone knows some other kind of application, extension or whatever that improves the experience, i'd love to hear!

The site is really going backwards community wise.

fffuuu.png
    YouTube messaging is mostly like sending love letters, except

• all the words for love are wordfiltered into equivalent expressions of hate
    • all promises of being together forever swapped with promises to violently murder you as soon as possible
    • any sign of grammar or clever composition replaced with something resembling a furious telegraphing baboon who uses swearwords instead of STOP
    In a sick fascinating gonzo prose way its beautiful I guess; but on the whole burying the portal to this is something I'm OK with.

(I only write this as that LoD fan has shown no acknowledgement of my communiques :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

DinoRex wrote: »
    I thought she was f*cking awful.

Her and her boyfriend were just complete and utter idiots!

I hated most of the characters actually.

They were a right pair of spanners and I hated nearly all the characters, but then again I think that was kind of the point.

I enjoyed it, I'll never eat calamari again mind but over all I felt it was decent. Of course I like H.P. Lovecraft stories and this is quite clearly "inspired" by those.

a5y wrote: »
    They're trying to railroad you into using Google+.

YouTube messaging is mostly like sending love letters, except

• all the words for love are wordfiltered into equivalent expressions of hate
    • all promises of being together forever swapped with promises to violently murder you as soon as possible
    • any sign of grammar or clever composition replaced with something resembling a furious telegraphing baboon who uses swearwords instead of STOP
    In a sick fascinating gonzo prose way its beautiful I guess; but on the whole burying the portal to this is something I'm OK with.

(I only write this as that LoD fan has shown no acknowledgement of my communiques :( )

Dude!

You're insane! :pac::pac::pac:

And quite entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Please, if discussing Prometheus, or any other film, please take care not to spoil it for others, use the spoilers quotes to avoid ruining movies, ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Dude!

You're insane! :pac::pac::pac:

And quite entertaining!

I have no sanity and I must type.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Please, if discussing Prometheus, or any other film, please take care not to spoil it for others, use the spoilers quotes to avoid ruining movies, ok?
    ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

54201110151665919801777.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement