Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Blandness is worse than badness in many cases. Nothing worse than an uninventive game that simply bores: at least a bad game can be a failed experiment or ironically enjoyable (Superman 64 anyone? :P I'd say Dinorex but we all know that's misunderstood genius). There's just absolutely nothing to Doom 3 IMO, and couldn't suffer anymore than a few hours with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Blandness is worse than badness in many cases. Nothing worse than an uninventive game that simply bores: at least a bad game can be a failed experiment or ironically enjoyable (Superman 64 anyone? :P I'd say Dinorex but we all know that's misunderstood genius). There's just absolutely nothing to Doom 3 IMO, and couldn't suffer anymore than a few hours with it.

Largely agree with this, but maybe there's an actual game in Doom 3 ya know, if ya could actually see stuff? Here's hoping anyway :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yup, that's why I hate Legend of Dragoon so much. There are much worse games that are laughably bad or incredibly buggy. You can get a good laugh out of them and they are a curiosity. Legend of Dragoon isn't a badly made game. It just ticks all the boxes for what a JRPG and does none of them well.

Also:

8k35N.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

CD Projekt Red summer conference live now:

http://www.gog.com/news/see_our_summer_2012_conference_live

That aquarium is a complete want

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    Largely agree with this, but maybe there's an actual game in Doom 3 ya know, if ya could actually see stuff? Here's hoping anyway :p

All you're going to see is a **** load of corridors and the occasional hellspawn :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DinoRex wrote: »
    CD Projekt Red summer conference live now:

http://www.gog.com/news/see_our_summer_2012_conference_live

More Dungeon Crawlers please!
    I'd say Dinorex but we all know that's misunderstood genius

Ray Barnholt agrees:

http://scroll.vg/blog/arcade-games-that-time-forgot-dino-rex.html

All you're going to see is a **** load of corridors and the occasional hellspawn :P

I fear your right, I've just watched the trailer & it's a light-blinking squint fest. No thanks

Retr0gamer wrote: »

In all fairness, I know Dinorex is a cult A&R classic...but as an actual game, it's absolute muck :D

In all fairness, I know Dinorex is a cult A&R classic...but as an actual game, it's absolute muck :D

It takes a while to get used to it but once you master the controls and combo system and the depth of the cross up, parry and knock down system become apparent it's a very deep game that rivals Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike for complexity.

• Advertisement

Cyberpunk the video game!

Witcher 2 is just $29.99 on Gog this week as well. Everyone should get it... much better than Mass Effect.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It takes a while to get used to it but once you master the controls and combo system and the depth of the cross up, parry and knock down system become apparent it's a very deep game that rivals Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike for complexity.

Too cool for school :cool::D

The words of someone who hasn't witnessed The Twist (The twist! The twist!). The final moments transfrom the game from a bat**** insane fighting game with odd side-scrolling bits into The Interactive Allegory of Our Times (caps purposeful).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The words of someone who hasn't witnessed The Twist (The twist! The twist!). The final moments transfrom the game from a bat**** insane fighting game with odd side-scrolling bits into The Interactive Allegory of Our Times (caps purposeful).

I've yet to witness the "twist" either so still under the impression it's utter scutter. Does it have a comparison in the film world I wonder? Something so bad that manages to change your mind if you can stick it til the end.

Or is my sarcasm detector broken and you're still extracting the urine? :pac:

It's kind of like Signs in reverse. That's a creepy, interesting alien story until the ****ing dreadful ending that makes you regret ever liking it in the first place (see also: The Village). DinoRex's ending, on the other hand, makes you wonder why you ever doubted it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It's kind of like Signs in reverse. That's a creepy, interesting alien story until the ****ing dreadful ending that makes you regret ever liking it in the first place (see also: The Village). DinoRex's ending, on the other hand, makes you wonder why you ever doubted it.

Hah knew I should never have asked the film question. Love Signs and The Village (thought Pheonix and Howard were very good in that)! No hope for me says you. :pac: Please don't tell me you have the same dislike towards Lady in the Water? The Happening had a good story but nothing else, tripe.

Back to Dinorex - it can only redeem itself if the ending is actually some other good game hidden inside it, SFII or something.

Well we never seen the ending.... yet. Many A&R regulard were felled by the final bosses cheapness and even my OCD which saw me to the end of Ghouls n'Ghosts that night could not fell the beast. So we only saw the twist before the final boss but the ending remains elusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

123reg are offering 99p .eu domains. Offer expires tonight so get in quick!

https://twitter.com/123reg/status/207909327942590464

Enter EU99 in the checkout cart.

Grabbed pinkbullets.eu for my troubles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    123reg are offering 99p .eu domains. Offer expires tonight so get in quick!

https://twitter.com/123reg/status/207909327942590464

Enter EU99 in the checkout cart.

Grabbed pinkbullets.eu for my troubles. :D

Cheers, grabbed retrovia.eu.
    Cant go wrong for that price I suppose.

Was just trying out the preview for Resonance. It's very nice. Story really pulls you in from the get go... But going to stop now and wait till the full game is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Must be a very different version of "Game of Thrones" they get over in China :D

imagegameofthrones05301.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Mamma mia!
    :D

Google Translate in Chrome is pretty great.

Currently trying to navigate through the Japanese website to sign up for the open beta for PSO2.

Have reached block with a Katakana based captcha though.

Another amazing trailer for the GotY:

TOOOOKKKYYOOO JJJJUUNNNNGGGLLLLLEEE!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Out next week isnt it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Out next week isnt it?

:eek: is it really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

:eek: is it really?!

Listed as June 7th on play asia

Was just trying out the preview for Resonance. It's very nice. Story really pulls you in from the get go... But going to stop now and wait till the full game is released.

Now that, looks like my kinda game :cool:

If you haven't already played them then try out the Blackwell games.

They're just $8.99 for all four on GOG right now.

• Advertisement

If you haven't already played them then try out the Blackwell games.

They're just $8.99 for all four on GOG right now.

Played them? I hadn't even heard of them - cheers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement