Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The general consensus seems to be that you should temper that excitement somewhat. As far as I can gather, the unreasonable expectations are what are disappointing in an otherwise visually impressive if narratively unambitious film.

Still, I look forward to discovering for myself in a few hours.

I have much lower expectations than the experts over on the Film forum though. Spaceships, explosions and aliens of some sort usually keep me happy (except MIB sh1te). I liked all four of the previous Alien films so I'm probably sorted. Just hoping this Odeon (sp?) cinema is ok, never heard of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I have much lower expectations than the experts over on the Film forum though. Spaceships, explosions and aliens of some sort usually keep me happy (except MIB sh1te). I liked all four of the previous Alien films so I'm probably sorted. Just hoping this Odeon (sp?) cinema is ok, never heard of the place.

Sorry to have to correct you but this is the 4th film in the series. We have Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and now the prequel (sort of) Prometheus. There have been no other Alien movies, I have researched this and know it to be true ;)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Sorry to have to correct you but this is the 4th film in the series. We have Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and now the prequel (sort of) Prometheus. There have been no other Alien movies, I have researched this and know it to be true ;)

:pac:

So you can see how my lowly expectations will most likely be met with Prometheus then. Probably a good thing I didn't include the first AvP film in there as a 5th Alien film I liked. :D

:pac:

So you can see how my lowly expectations will most likely be met with Prometheus then. Probably a good thing I didn't include the first AvP film in there as a 5th Alien film I liked. :D

It's been a while since I used it, but now is the time :)

1156151_o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I love that meme! It's such a bonus that it p1sses off someone here, can't remember who :p

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I love that meme! It's such a bonus that it p1sses off someone here, can't remember who :p

Haha yeah.
    In fairness I'm not a big fan of animated gifs in forums, but sometimes they just work so well you have to use them.

EnterNow wrote: »

Aye it's brilliant.

Steve, you might need to get ready with it again; Fargo is a sh1te film! Yep, I weren't there. I can just picture Mr. Ultimate now:

misc-jackie-chan.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Haha yeah.
    In fairness I'm not a big fan of animated gifs in forums, but sometimes they just work so well you have to use them.

Here's one I love using whenever some tit uses my most hated emoticon, rolleyes my bastard face.

MdL3j.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Steve, you might need to get ready with it again; Fargo is a sh1te film! Yep, I weren't there. I can just picture Mr. Ultimate now:

An innaccurate visualisation. To continue the meme war, my expression is more:

facepalm.jpg

:p

(that said, it did take me a second viewing to really appreciate Fargo and its place within the Coen canon)

An innaccurate visualisation. To continue the meme war, my expression is more:

facepalm.jpg

:p

(that said, it did take my a second viewing to really appreciate Fargo and its place within the Coen canon)

Ah here, now you're at it!! Isn't that right o1s1n... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Aye it's brilliant.

misc-jackie-chan.svg

fargo09.jpg

In all seriousness I'm no movie expert or connoisseur and can turn off my brain when I need to and just enjoy most films. Except Twilight, never twilight.

Aye it's brilliant.

Also, why weren't you there? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Copies of Typing of the Dead for all!

Finally somebody noticed that deliberate typo! ;) (always making them :o)

Copies of Typing of the Dead for all!

Haha, we'll all be running our forum posts through the spell/grammar checker before posting if this keep up.

/checks previous sentence for mistakes, fails to spot any

edit:
    /Checks again and finds one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

From the very little I've seen of the Twilight films ... Not comically bad, just ridiculous.
    It's one of the funniest films I've ever seen, don't be such a snob! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One of the most disappointing films I ever saw was Leprachaun In Space. I mean it shoudl have been amazing with a premise like that but it was so boring. I think I was way too sober when I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I managed to track down a copy of this gem on DVD recently:

Looks like Ireland's answer to The Room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up a PSP Go this morning, no charger though.
    Any ideas if a bricks and mortar shop has the cables?
    Looked in GS, Smyths, Harvey Norman, PC World/Currys and HMV but to no avail.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ok, I leave and go to work and ye all start talking about twilight. Thought we had mods here for a reason. But heres my 2 cents anyway.

Twilight 1 is the only film I saw and although I liked the score to the film the rest is pure comedy gold. The film is as deep as a frisbee and that young wan in it, i forget her name, is utter rubbish in it. Funny thing is that I thought that was her character but I saw snow white the other day and she cannot act in any way shape or form. The rest is just hilarity all over the shop. Have to give it props though, it managed to tear down vampires to a parody of themselves....sparkly pricks....we need another lost boys!

And how didnt they do this joke

carlisle.jpg

Dr. Acula???!!!.............COME ON!

Going to see Promethus tonight though so that will cleanse my soul

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Picked up a PSP Go this morning, no charger though.
    Any ideas if a bricks and mortar shop has the cables?
    Looked in GS, Smyths, Harvey Norman, PC World/Currys and HMV but to no avail.
    Any ideas?

Online would be your best bet I'd say. Unfortunately it's a proprietary connection and you'll need the little power brick if you want to charge it from the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Found one on fleabay for 8.99 posted, USB cable with proprietary thingy, power brick and so on.
    Then I'll find out if I bought a €55 bricked PSP Go, or I have my new goto device for emulation, only for use when I'm away from my physical copies of the games, to be played on proper hardware, natch!

Nice little short doc on SNK.
    Nothing ground breaking in it but definitely worth a gander.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing some God of War 3 and learning a lot about Greek Mythology. For example the area I'm in now is new to me and I never knew that first person shooter land existed in greek mythology. Well that's what I'm calling it because it's either that or the art team had an off day and designed a level made out of crates.

There was a lot more dodgy women making out with animals who turn out to be that horny so and so Zeus in the stories, as if just being the ruler of Olympus didn't guarantee getting laid, he figured he'd need to turn up as a bull or something....
    No wonder no one believes in them any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No wonder no one believes in them any more!
    the-end-of-all-ice-giants.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Apologies for the Prometheus spoiler but he ends up bound to a rock with his liver being eaten by an eagle only for it to grow back and be eaten again the next day!

Saw Prometheus. A mess but a fascinating one. Easily the most interesting blockbuster to come out of Hollywood from a while, although also a deeply flawed one. Well worth a watch nonetheless though.

Controversial poster quote: "Better than The Avengers!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Been taking a lot of notice of how much Youtube sucks for keeping up with social interaction with other users lately.

There are absolutely no on screen notifications of new messages, replies, video responses etc....

Instead you're forced manually to click the drop down button next to your name,
    click inbox -> click messages etc...

It's an absolute joke.

Even the "Send message button" on profiles has been done away with it,

and you have to click a drop down arrow for that.

Why the **** do you keep hiding things on me youtube!

Does anyone know of a better way of managing your account?

I've just downloaded the Rockmelt browser now in the hope that it will give me notifications.

I'm not a fan of e-mail notifications either every time someone replies to a comment, either so I have those disabled.

If anyone knows some other kind of application, extension or whatever that improves the experience, i'd love to hear!

The site is really going backwards community wise.

fffuuu.png

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Been taking a lot of notice of how much Youtube sucks for keeping up with social interaction with other users lately.

There are absolutely no on screen notifications of new messages, replies, video responses etc....

Instead you're forced manually to click the drop down button next to your name,
    click inbox -> click messages etc...

It's an absolute joke.

Even the "Send message button" on profiles has been done away with it,

and you have to click a drop down arrow for that.

Why the **** do you keep hiding things on me youtube!

Does anyone know of a better way of managing your account?

I've just downloaded the Rockmelt browser now in the hope that it will give me notifications.

I'm not a fan of e-mail notifications either every time someone replies to a comment, either so I have those disabled.

If anyone knows some other kind of application, extension or whatever that improves the experience, i'd love to hear!

The site is really going backwards community wise.

fffuuu.png

Have you tried and firefox or chrome addons?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flibklaafojpejofncfljlnmmfoolnjd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement