Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,439 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    This is true... and it doesn't matter how much you might like David Fincher now, Alien 3 is still awful.

Have you seen the Assembly Cut version? Apparantly it makes it a much better film. Haven't seen it myself yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

NOOOoooooo!

I liked Alien 3, not as much as the other two but I really did!
    Charles S Dutton was very good and the cast was fun.
    The special effects let it down, the shoddy CGI.
    Fincher should have been left alone to make it, too much interference from the studio I think.
    He had all sorts of madness in mind, a Wooden planet for example.
    And Ripleys final sacrifice at the end.... but then they had to screw with that too.

Not sure what the drive was to kill off the other two Archeron survivors was, Hicks and Newt, a bit cheap tbh, but then was the objective to give us a new story or just Aliens with more marines and bigger battles?

Aliens Resurrection was enjoyable, really liked it, aside from the naff Alien hybrid towards the end, that looked shockingly poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dr Bob wrote: »
    THERE WERE NO ALIEN VS PREDATOR MOVIES MADE!
    EVER
    AND IF THERE WAS THEY CERTAINLY WOULD NOT BE A RUBBISH PG ONE IN AN ANTARCTIC PYRAMID AND A TURD OF A HORROR MOVIE SET INEXPLICABLY IN A SMALL U.S. TOWN IN THE PRESENT DAY
    I CANT HEAR YOU LALALALALA!

I'm with you there, they should have left that story in the 1990 odd comic book that they lifted the script for AvP from alone.
    And as for the follow up, oh dear....

Predators though, that recent one with Adrian Brody in it, that was pretty good, not sure if it was popular enough to get a sequel though, pity that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    NOOOoooooo!

Fincher should have been left alone to make it, too much interference from the studio I think.
    And Ripleys final sacrifice at the end.... but then they had to screw with that too.

Not sure what the drive was to kill off the other two Archeron survivors was, Hicks and Newt, a bit cheap tbh, but then was the objective to give us a new story or just Aliens with more marines and bigger battles?

Aliens Resurrection was enjoyable, really liked it, aside from the naff Alien hybrid towards the end, that looked shockingly poor.
    There was some really bad Alien 3 scripts knocking about prior to that (theres a great book called the greatest movies never made that goes into a bit of detail as to how bad they were)
    Oddly enough I remember there was a line of Aliens comics (published by dark horse?) that had a grown up Newt in them(and an aged ripley as well).
    All of which instantly became non cannon the second 3 came out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Alien 1 is a masterpiece of tension, terror and claustrophobia. It is easily the best.

Aliens is a highly enjoyable film about space marines. A very well-made and entertaining film about space marines (which, at least, makes some vague attempts at metaphor and context), although its parameters are limited. Still, succeeds admirably through its impressive production values, although introduced the 'Xenomorph in a pack' mentality which TBH has limited the franchise for ever more.

Alien 3 is... sort of weird and grim. Have to watch it again one of these days.

I only watched Alien Resurrection the other day, for the first and last time. It's a steaming turd of a film, and a waste of all the talent on and off screen. Who'd have thought Joss Whedon, Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Ron Perlman could make a bad film, ey?

As for Sofia Coppola? For Virgin Suicides, Lost in Translation and Somewhere I'm more than willing to ignore any nepotism that may have occurred in redundant sequels to iconic films. We don't talk about Marie Antoinette, though.

• Advertisement

I still have the Aliens comics you speak of, yes, published by Dark Horse and written by a certain Mark Verheiden who fans may remember as writing some of the new Battlestar Galactica and Caprica episodes.
    Good stuff, and sadly non-canon, but they were beautifully painted as well, the second series anyhow, the first was in some nice black and white art, very good too.
    The appearance of Ripley in the final frame of the second series made one hope but then out came Alien 3, knocked the comics on their backsides.
    Later the comics were reprinted but with the names changed, Newt became Billie for example, made no sense whatsoever!
    Pity that....

And I though Alien Resurrection was good fun, Michael Wincott as a not so bad guy for once, can't be all terrible now can it???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

NOOOoooooo!

Fincher had nothing to do with the earlier scripts, including the wooden planet one. He was basically thrown into the project and told to turf out a film as quick as possible with the script they currently had.

I watched all the Alien 3 documentaries on the Alien Quadrilogy set and they were far better than the actual film. The Wooden planet script actually sounded like a load of nonsense to be honest, not sure why people liked the idea.

As for the directors cut that people seem to think redeems it into being a good film. I've seen it and it's still a crap film only now it lasts longer.

Crap that lasts longer, I had one of those the other day, must have been all the fibre in my diet... ;)

Lets hope Prometheus is the most awesome thing since Pyongy started collecting Darius underpants or there is going to be a world of disappointment and the sharp knives out for Mr R Scott.

Anyone seen MIB3 yet? I'm hoping against hope it's fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone seen MIB3 yet? I'm hoping against hope it's fun!

There's a new Wes Anderson film out tomorrow, no time for threequels! I loved MIB as a child, but cannot suffer a second redundant sequel.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I watched Alien 3 about two weeks ago on the telly (probably the first time in 10 years or more) and to be honest, dispite all of it's flaws, kind of enjoyed it.

A lot of it is absolute garbage, (end relay race especially), but there's a horrible sense of doom to the whole thing which I think was a fitting way of ending the Ripley story - The happy family ending of Aliens was a nice little dream escape for her - but in the end, she was destined to die at the hands of a xenomorph.

Shame they just didn't script, film and cast the thing better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I loved MIB as a child, but cannot suffer a second redundant sequel.

Your kids are gonna love you :D

As Cidey will profess I'm sure, when watching things like this with your offspring, you kinda watch them as if through childs eyes again...it's weird. Had I not have had a son, I'd have no interest in the world in MIB3...but because I do, I'm dying to watch it with him. Go figure.

That applies to everything except Cars 2. Shudder.

As long as you buy your ticket to Moonrise Kingdom, you can watch MIB3 as many times as you want ;)

As long as you buy your ticket to Moonrise Kingdom, you can watch MIB3 as many times as you want ;)
    In 1965, a pair of young lovers (Kara Hayward, Jared Gilman) flee their New England island town, prompting a local search party led by the Sheriff (Bruce Willis) and the girl's parents (Bill Murray, Frances McDormand) to fan out to find them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonrise_Kingdom

Sounds wild. Am I missing something?

Edit - I see Bill Murray is in it, reason enough

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »

Edit - I see Bill Murray is in it, reason enough

I am still convinced he has never topped his role in 'What About Bob?'!

Moonrise Kingdom looks superb, same palette as Mr Fox I see, no bad thing.
    Slight Lolita thang going on in the trailers if I'm not mistaken, the better half twigged it and once seen makes one kinda uncomfortable. But it looks like some fun and I can't wait, should be seeing it over the weekend, along with MIB3!
    Actually, I'd prefer to see Lockout, the B movie scifi action picture with Guy Pearce channeling Snake Plissken, looked like fun, but went to see Avengers instead (I refuse to say the Assemble bit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Its cold outside

no kind of atmosphere.

Master of the Universe

The Avengers was absolute fluff, but great craic. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Oh look at that....

There's actually a films forum on boards.ie!

I'd never have thought that.....

:p:p:p

Master of the Universe

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Oh look at that....

There's actually a films forum on boards.ie!

I'd never have thought that.....

:p:p:p

And, you're point is???

I guess you are not here as long as some, and forget some of the great off topic treks over the years...
    Some of those were epic, and not everyone made it back...

Good times!

So, to give those off topic haters some closure, how about that new Colonial Marines game, looks like it'll be de ja vu all over again, could this type of military/alien shooter genre be all done and dusted now?
    Will this be the PS3's only chance to have a decent FPS after years of floating Fail Boats downstream?
    The HMS Haze,
    USS Killzone,
    rubber dingy Fracture,
    all floaters all right....

Off topic haters...the cyclists of arcade & retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Might be of interest to some peeps here.

"Thumb Candy" documentary made by Channel 4 back in 2000. I tried to clean up the video a bit as it was very blurry and the aspect ratio was all over the place.
    So it's not my vid really as I got it from another source, I was just on clean up duty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_Candy
    Features interviews with:
    • Steve Russell - creator of Spacewar.
    • Nolan Bushnell of Atari
    • Al Alcorn - creator of Pong
    • Toshihiro Nishikado - creator of Space Invaders
    • Ed Logg - creator of Asteroids
    • Tōru Iwatani - creator of Pac-Man
    • Clive Sinclair discussing the ZX Spectrum
    • Matthew Smith on Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy
    • Shigeru Miyamoto on Donkey Kong
    • Alexey Pazhitnov on Tetris
    • Toby Gard on the Tomb Raider video game series
    • Steven Poole, author of Trigger Happy

Steve SI wrote: »
    So it's not my vid really as I got it from another source, I was just on clean up duty.

Sure, we'll see how that holds up in a court of law!

(couldn't resist :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sure, we'll see how that holds up in a court of law!

(couldn't resist :P)

50234_116349068391131_494_n.jpg

:D

I actually think people would be much more willing to steal cars if it was easy as downloading a movie.

Just look at GTA! People will do anything if they perceive there to be negligible consequences!

I'd download a car!
    What is this?
    Netflix doing automobiles now??
    Do you get Corvettes with a US XBLA account and Fiestas with a Euro one??

Steve SI wrote: »
    50234_116349068391131_494_n.jpg

:D

Apparently the whole soundtrack to that ad was essentially stolen.
    The terms of the deal were strict: the song was only for that one anti-piracy video at that one film festival. However, Rietveldt later discovered that the anti-piracy ad was being used all over the place -- a fact he discovered when he bought a Harry Potter DVD and noticed the video... with his music.

After determining that the music had been used tens of millions of times in such an unauthorized manner, he contacted the local music collection agency, Buma/Stemra, asking them to seek somewhere around $1.3 million owed from BREIN. Buma/Stemra ignored him. Eventually, however, apparently a Buma/Stemra board member, Jochem Gerrits, reached out, and said he could help Rietveldt get paid... but with some questionable conditions.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111201/17275016947/anti-piracy-group-caught-pirating-song-anti-piracy-ad-corruption-scandal-erupts-response.shtml

Tossers

And, you're point is???

I guess you are not here as long as some, and forget some of the great off topic treks over the years...
    Some of those were epic, and not everyone made it back...

Good times!

So, to give those off topic haters some closure, how about that new Colonial Marines game, looks like it'll be de ja vu all over again, could this type of military/alien shooter genre be all done and dusted now?
    Will this be the PS3's only chance to have a decent FPS after years of floating Fail Boats downstream?
    The HMS Haze,
    USS Killzone,
    rubber dingy Fracture,
    all floaters all right....

Off topic is the new on topic tbh.

• Advertisement

Damn enternow with his tbh tbh virus!

tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement