Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why play Diablo 3 when DayZ exists?

Someone speaking sense! How anyone has time for retro gaming or any other games while DayZ is about I don't know. /legs it :pac:

Do you play it much o1s1n? Don't notice you on mumble with the other boardsies?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Why play DayZ when so many other hundreds of equally great games also exist?

You see what I'm getting at here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hmm, something to do with trilbys?

But they're not equally great. Although as all games are ultimately repetitive clicks and button presses with no real importance, why bother playing them at all, waste of time they are eh? Bit like watching films I guess...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You're right: all games are just button pressing simulators! Kinect or nothing! *flails arms wildly in the hope my input will register*

The real question though: why listen to Guns n Roses when good music exists?

(they should rename this thread General Trolling Discussion)

• Advertisement

You're right: all games are just button pressing simulators! Kinect or nothing! *flails arms wildly in the hope my input will register*

The real question though: why listen to Guns n Roses when good music exists?

(they should rename this thread General Trolling Discussion)

Tut tut, feeble attempt Ultimate. I seen you in the IFI tapping your foot to the beat of You Could Be Mine during T2. You failed miserably in the eyes of your fellow hipsters that day man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you play it much o1s1n? Don't notice you on mumble with the other boardsies?

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get into the server all the boardsies were playing on. So just played on others instead.

Trying to get at lest an hour or two in each night, absolutely love it. One of the best games I've played..well..ever really.

Was off sick from work yesterday so tried to spend some time configuring it to run better. I'd been getting very choppy framerates which seriously impacted my ability to shoot anything. Got it running lovely now, nice and smooth.

The new version is mental though with the temperature/having to heat yourself/catching a cold. It suddenly made rainfall dangerous too!

In all honesty, if there's one single game you're going to play this year for an experience which will make you reconsider the whole medium in itself, DayZ is it. Pass it up at your peril :p

Pass it up at your peril :p

Zombies are not a genre Sir Ultimate seems to enjoy, I think he feels it's overdone. He's right I guess, but that doesn't mean something isn't gonna come along & blow the competition away resulting in a damned good game, as in this case.

Maybe they should put in Asian zombies, with a bizarre rhythm based theme tune, strip out all the English language, remove the guns too & use tentacle based weapons...& top it off with a box cover thats been Instagram'd....a hipster hit there for sure :D

EnterNow wrote: »

Tut tut, feeble attempt Ultimate. I seen you in the IFI tapping your foot to the beat of You Could Be Mine during T2. You failed miserably in the eyes of your fellow hipsters that day man :D

I thought Terminator 2 was the Algerian four hour experimental film of the same name. Took an imdb visit to prove otherwise.

I thought Terminator 2 was the Algerian four hour experimental film of the same name. Took an imdb visit to prove otherwise.

Surely you knew by the crowd? All the fedora hooks on the edge of the seats were empty.

hipster+in+fedora.jpg

• Advertisement

I just presumed the T1000 was a metaphor for France, selfishly destroying all in its way. While John Connor was a symbol of Algerian independence. Reminiscent of Michael Haneke's Cache, but subversivelly realised through the genre tropes of science fiction.

I also presumed the fedora hooks were being dry cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

TF IS DIS ****!

I think i remember the adverts for it, or at least something similar.

A gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

In all honesty, if there's one single game you're going to play this year for an experience which will make you reconsider the whole medium in itself, DayZ is it. Pass it up at your peril :p

I don't use a computer outside of work these days so it's a non-starter for me, but would like a shot at it for the sake of it. Journey is still shining brightly as the most unique gaming experience this year for me; my favourite use of online multiplayer ever, with Demon's/Dark Souls after that.

Im the same - even if I could get over my dislike of zombies, I have not the tech to play DayZ.

Journey and Dear Esther are, combined, the two 'games' that have really helped redefine my expectations this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's not really a Zombie game though. That's like calling GTA a driving game.

If you took the zombies out it would still stand on its feet as being an absolutely amazing game. The zombies just add another element of fear and difficulty in looting.

Unfortunately it does seem to require a beefy enough PC. Has to be the insane draw distances in Arma 2 and the foliage. Other than that, that visuals are very sub anything current gen and it should theoretically run on a far less powerful system.

Is Journey PS3 only? It's high on my list, I just have the same problem as you guys do in that I don't have the hardware to play it on.

Dear Esther looks a bit too hipster for my liking :P

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get into the server all the boardsies were playing on. So just played on others instead.

Trying to get at lest an hour or two in each night, absolutely love it. One of the best games I've played..well..ever really.

Was off sick from work yesterday so tried to spend some time configuring it to run better. I'd been getting very choppy framerates which seriously impacted my ability to shoot anything. Got it running lovely now, nice and smooth.

The new version is mental though with the temperature/having to heat yourself/catching a cold. It suddenly made rainfall dangerous too!

Would be good craic to roam the hills with you in the group. The coughing is brilliantly done - there were 5 of us in a group last night and one had a cold. Nobody wanted to stand near him incase we caught it. It's also fairly noisy so gives away your position to zombies and other players alike. Not being able to fill your water bottle at the sea is also a big change for me - much more nervous having to trek miles to a pond or water pump in case I get sniped.
    It's not really a Zombie game though. That's like calling GTA a driving game.

If you took the zombies out it would still stand on its feet as being an absolutely amazing game. The zombies just add another element of fear and difficulty in looting.

Unfortunately it does seem to require a beefy enough PC. Has to be the insane draw distances in Arma 2 and the foliage. Other than that, that visuals are very sub anything current gen and it should theoretically run on a far less powerful system.

Is Journey PS3 only? It's high on my list, I just have the same problem as you guys do in that I don't have the hardware to play it on.

Dear Esther looks a bit too hipster for my liking :P

Very true. Other players are more of a worry in the game - nobody trusts anybody. :pac: Should be able to run fairly ok on most machines these days I would have thought, my PC is ancient - intel quad core thing, 8GB RAM and NVidia GX280 or something - dinosaur. Game runs fine though.

Downloaded Dear Esther from Steam the other day because it was cheap and had glowing review comments - loaded it up, walked up to the house at the start and turned it off. Never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Cool. The Science Gallery's next exhibition is going to be a gaming one with retro gaming components.

LINK:

http://www.sciencegallery.com/game

http://www.livestream.com/makelive/video?clipId=pla_ffc1d80a-5540-4ef9-a756-5488a7b6a6f1

50 seconds in.

Female + c64 + guitar + FPGA speak + Valve employee = Instaboner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »
    The Science Gallery's next exhibition is going to be a gaming one with retro gaming components.
    My friend's sister was supposed to be part of that :3 glad it worked out
    we should make a beers out of it!

• Advertisement

Video Games Live concert on TV
    On Friday night Sky Arts and Sky Arts HD will be showing a full concert recorded at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans.

Sera wrote: »
    On Friday night Sky Arts and Sky Arts HD will be showing a full concert recorded at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans.

So basically only Mr. Ultimate Hipster need apply. :(

Is that the same concert some folks here went to in town that time?

Joking aside, how did Sir Ultimate happen to become tagged as a hipster? Is it his tastes in apparel? His strong dislike of Zombies? His love for rubbish films [troll mode engaged :p]? Enlighten me, how did we create a hipster?

Joking aside, how did Sir Ultimate happen to become tagged as a hipster? Is it his tastes in apparel? His strong dislike of Zombies? His love for rubbish films [troll mode engaged :p]? Enlighten me, how did we create a hipster?

Thank goodness he's drawing attention away from my Wang t-shirt!

IbhQP.jpg

Pantry Lad and Mountain Lodge Man are obvious enough but not sure how Mr. Ultimate got tagged as a hipster. Does attendance at that T2 film now exclude him from Hipster membership or have the Hipsters got two new members in you and Pantry Lad - he could have been on a secret recruiting mission! :eek: :p

Pantry Lad and Mountain Lodge Man are obvious enough but not sure how Mr. Ultimate got tagged as a hipster. Does attendance at that T2 film now exclude him from Hipster membership or have the Hipsters got two new members in you and Pantry Lad - he could have been on a secret recruiting mission! :eek: :p

The ankle area of my jeans is currently in excess of 5cm, thats automatic expulsion from hipsterdom.

Dinorex seems very protective of hipsterism, I reckon he's a closet one

Sera wrote: »

YES! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Is that the same concert some folks here went to in town that time?
    I wasn't there but wasn't that Anamanaguchi ?

The ankle area of my jeans is currently in excess of 5cm, thats automatic expulsion from hipsterdom.

Dinorex seems very protective of hipsterism, I reckon he's a closet one

For the last time I wear a fedora and dress like a geography teacher because I'm horribly old fashioned...

I go to a lot of burlesque... don't know if that's hipster or something else...

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    For the last time I wear a fedora and dress like a geography teacher because I'm horribly old fashioned...

I go to a lot of burlesque... don't know if that's hipster or something else...

I think I know what you mean, technically your not a hipster because, even though your tastes are admittedly old fashioned, they are tastes notheless.

The burlesque thing is more a role play thing yeah? Just be careful, you know what happened to Retr0 for getting caught role playing...he's now an internet meme sensation :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement