Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Might be of interest to some peeps here.

Features interviews with:
    • Steve Russell - creator of Spacewar.
    • Nolan Bushnell of Atari
    • Al Alcorn - creator of Pong
    • Toshihiro Nishikado - creator of Space Invaders
    • Ed Logg - creator of Asteroids
    • Tōru Iwatani - creator of Pac-Man
    • Clive Sinclair discussing the ZX Spectrum
    • Matthew Smith on Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy
    • Shigeru Miyamoto on Donkey Kong
    • Alexey Pazhitnov on Tetris
    • Toby Gard on the Tomb Raider video game series
    • Steven Poole, author of Trigger Happy

:eek:

nowthisicanfaptou18chan.jpg

Finally, a film that is relevent to my A&R interests. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Jayzus, feels like I walked into some film related rival gang turf war. Safer to head back to the zombie infested forests of Chernarus.

Back_away_slowly.gif

(It's great craic to read though! :D)

Fair play Cidey - I also enjoyed Alien3 and Resurrection. Whoever those clowns are thinking about making a film of SOTC, they should give up the day job and go save a rain forest or something. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    but...

shenmue 3!

I want Shenmue 3 like I want a third series of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Sort of, but ultimately if it was made it'd be inevitably anti-climactic.

Take the total disappointment of Duke Nukem forever and dial it down until it just feels a little empty because "it should have been as good as it was in my head". I'd rather no sequel than a mediocre one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Tomorrow I'm heading to see Iron Sky at the Light House.

This is the film with the moon Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,439 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice to see it's getting a cinema release somewhere in Ireland! I didn't think it would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Finally won a snes chrono trigger auction, wasn't easy :)

Master of the Universe

nuxxx wrote: »
    Finally won a snes chrono trigger auction, wasn't easy :)

Nice! Enjoy! Have you played through it before?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice to see it's getting a cinema release somewhere in Ireland! I didn't think it would.

They weren't going to screen it. But they asked on twitter and facebook if anyone wanted to see it and they got a huge response back.

There are only 3 screenings though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    Damn enternow with his tbh tbh virus!

tbh

:confused:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice! Enjoy! Have you played through it before?

I put a few hours into it on an emulator ages ago, long before I started collecting snes games, was never fond of turn based rpgs but after picking up some of them (smrpg,ff6 etc), they're starting to grow on me. :) Plus whats a snes collection without that game :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    :confused:

He's not lying tbh

Master of the Universe

nuxxx wrote: »
    I put a few hours into it on an emulator ages ago, long before I started collecting snes games, was never fond of turn based rpgs but after picking up some of them (smrpg,ff6 etc), they're starting to grow on me. :) Plus whats a snes collection without that game :p

There really is something special about playing a Snes RPG on original hardware - it can't be beat.

Just be careful with them though and the batteries - there'd be nothing worse than playing in 20 hours or so only to have the battery die because it's old. They're easy enough to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I did not know Sony had released something like this. Did this escape anyone else's attention?

I'm both incredibly pleased that something closer to the long prophesied consumer VR headset that is indisputably not rubbish, and yet a bit bothered that it doesn't offer peripheral vision instead of enormous cinema that makes you struggle not to look like an idiot.

Why I'm bothered they didn't design it so it'd be commercial suicide I can't explain. Probably the Sega in me talking.

I really want my cyberpunk revival. Might go watch The Lawnmower Man to take the edge off :D

a5y wrote: »
    Might go watch The Lawnmower Man to take the edge off :D

Once you don't play the game you should be grand :pac:

waveform wrote: »
    :eek:

nowthisicanfaptou18chan.jpg

Finally, a film that is relevent to my A&R interests. ;)

I noticed a few nice candies in some of the background arcade scenes. I guess you could fap to them old chap ;)

Not a bad little documentary actually and well worth a look.

Grab it here if anyone wants to download it in case it gets pulled at some stage.
    http://keepvid.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dzw3_6ZyTTbo

Wow... if you think River Song is annoying in the TV series then wait until you see how f*cking annoying the AI they gave her in The Eternity Clock is.

Ah. 2 pressure plates that we both have to stand on to open the door. I'll just bush a box onto one of the plates, you stand on the other and then I can get through and open things up from the other side... oh... wait... you no longer want to stand on the other pressure plate as you want to stand on top of the box that is already pressing down the switch! Grrrr...

It's actually not that bad a game... it just doesn't feel like it was play tested properly as there's lots of bugs.

When I started playing it last night there was absolutely no dialogue or exposition so the game was totally devoid of a plot. I didn't know what I was doing or why I was doing it... Oh... I failed because I was supposed to be getting to a location before the cybermen... but I didn't know that!!

But I turn it on today and suddenly it's full of dialogue, so it looks like it was just a bug that removed all the speech from the game yesterday.

Just did a stealth section against the Silence where you have to avoid them and yet also keep them in your line of site as if you're not looking at them then you forget why you're there in the first place.

@Pyongy

This might be of interest to you as you're heading over shortly (or anyone else who wants to see how Akihabara actually looks).

Retro Core Akihabara Special:

It's from 2005 but it's still definitely worth a look. I just got the full Retro Core library so am going through all the episodes at the moment. Few interesting ones in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sera wrote: »
    Video Games Live concert on TV
    On Friday night Sky Arts and Sky Arts HD will be showing a full concert recorded at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans.
    this is on tonight started at 9PM :P have it recording
    and there's a repeat on 26 May @ 7:00AM

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

We went to that in the National Concert Hall around two years ago and were very impressed by it - the orchestra were actually the local NCH people. It must of been weird for them getting the sheet music sent over for the first time to practice. "WTF is this bubble bobble song?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Nice one.
    SkyArts Page

Iron Sky was absolutely brilliant.

I was just expecting a bit of a laugh... but there was so many wonderful cinematic references that I don't think most of the audience even got.

Film needs a proper general release. The effects are fantastic and the whole thing was crowd sourced.

The same guys did the Star Trek Versus Babylon 5 movie a few years back:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally beat Xenoblade last night. Monolithsoft couldn't resist having a totally bananas ending just like with Xenogears and Xenosaga. The only difference here is that it was deeply satisfying. So overall great story, gorgeous looking and an amazing battle system. Also characters in a JRPG that act realistically. Shulk in particular and his inability to save everyone should have lead to some existential crisis and Breakdown in lesser JRPGs. Shulk just gets on with it like any normal person.

So overall I'd go out on a limb and say other than Dark Souls it's the best RPG of this console generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sony now specializing in piss-taking.

Sony has patented an application that interrupts game playing to display an advertisement.
    The patent, spotted by a user on NeoGAF, was filed in July 2011 by Sony Computer Entertainment America. It's called "Advertisement Scheme for use with interactive content".
    Here's how it works: interactive content is suspended, an advertisement is displayed, then interactive content is resumed. Sony's patent images go into better detail, and are below.
    First, game playing gradually slows down. You then get a warning that the game is about to stop. You then get the ad. Sony's example is: "BEST BRAND SODA. You've got to try it!" You then get a warning that the game is about to resume. The game resumes. There's mention of rewinding the game after the ad has run its course, too.
    This latest patent is actually a continuation of a patent filed back in 2006, which shows Sony is at least still interested in the tech. But, as with all these patents, it remains to be seen whether ads interrupting gameplay will ever come to fruition.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-25-sony-patents-method-to-interrupt-your-gaming-with-an-ad

Just watched "The 8bit Philosophy" documentary on Commodore 64 music.
    Very interesting stuff for those into that scene. I'm not mad about that side of things myself but still enjoyed it.
    Definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just watched "The 8bit Philosophy" documentary on Commodore 64 music.
    Very interesting stuff for those into that scene. I'm not mad about that side of things myself but still enjoyed it.
    Definitely worth a look.

That must have been very low key to have slipped my radar!

Never even remotely heard of it.

Only 1000 views on youtube too:

Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I reckon the thing to do, if we have to have in game advertising, is stick them in the title and pause screens so they don't impinge on gameplay.
    Like, you are having a good time playing Streets of Rage ( unlikely I know), feel a thirst coming on and pause the game and the console says "Drink Slurm!".
    Of course they could put some sort of statistical engine in there that can predict your reason for pausing it would be even more powerful, knowing your going to take a dump and popping up an Andrex advert!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »
    Iron Sky was absolutely brilliant.

I was just expecting a bit of a laugh... but there was so many wonderful cinematic references that I don't think most of the audience even got.

Film needs a proper general release. The effects are fantastic and the whole thing was crowd sourced.

The same guys did the Star Trek Versus Babylon 5 movie a few years back:

1 day only film releases make me a sad panda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement