Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck Africa, the Dune soundtrack is where it's at!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm pretty sure that that megadrive adapter would be a complete disaster. It probably has the MD internals on the cart, cheap Chinese knock off components. My guess is it's just receiving power from the SNES and running a cheap knock off MD, not exactly high tech. If the game is running through the SNES video hardware it would lead to all sorts of problems since the SNES runs at two weird resolutions, both of which are completely different to the MD's output. I guess those composite cables plug into the cartridge. There's another problem, composite only I'm guessing. You'd be better off getting a megadrive clone and even then you are wating your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

So all the SNES is doing is providing power to the cart? :pac:

Couldn't see the video earlier so didn't know you had to plug the AV cables into it!

At least it has better sound that other ****e MD clones though!

Would have been cool a cool accomplishment if it really played through the SNES.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

waveform wrote: »
    So all the SNES is doing is providing power to the cart? :pac:

Couldn't see the video earlier so didn't know you had to plug the AV cables into it!

At least it has better sound that other ****e MD clones though!

Would have been cool a cool accomplishment if it really played through the SNES.

As I mentioned it wouldn't be possible since the SNES outputs in two resolutions both or which are completely different to the MD resolution. Also the clock speed of the SNES chip is extremely slow compared to the MD and it's a belongs to a completely different family. It's not possible at all.

As for it having better sound than most MD clones, I heard that about loads of MD clones in youtube videos. Youtube reviews are mostly conducted by people that don't know what they are talking about, there are exceptions but I highly doubt a chinese clone that is produced as cheap as possible has an authentic sounding sound chip considering how complex the MD sound chip is, from what I read anyway from developers.

The guy in the video mentioned it doesn't have the pitch problems of the firecore clones, so at least thats one aspect of the sound that's better.

Would need to hear the sound in other games though to get reach a decent conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Having a very retro few weeks - the last games I've played are

Final Fantasy VIII - PSOne
    Rad Gravity - NES
    Metroid: Fusion - GBA
    Metroid: Zero Mission - GBA
    Super Metroid - SNES (still on this)

I think Zelda: Link to the Past is going to be next. Been a while since I played it.

Dear god, the RetroGen is compatible with the Retro Duo portable NES + SNES clone, and is being sold as an accessory for it: (left hand

http://retroduoportable.com/

Could you imagine actually loading the games in like that,
    you'd almost fall over with the weight of it in your hands! ;)

That interviewer is such a poser!

Edit: To play the NES games you must even use a longer adapter called the Retro Port!

rdp-retro-duo-portable-matte-red_w600_h.jpg

Turns out the Retro Gen Adapter is most similar to the Retron 3 clone, so for the price its pretty decent sound and video wise for a clone.

It uses the same Genesis On A Chip as the Retron 3,
    and also uses the same FM sound chip, the YM3438.

The YM3438 is actually a "bug fixed" version of the YM2612,
    so notes play a bit shorter and it has a slighty different sound.

What's interesting about this 3438, is it's what the 2612 should have sounded like first day.

A bit like the 6581 and 8580 SIDs.

The PSG is louder than the Megadrive's though, and has a different tone,
    although its not as loud as the Retron 3.

There's a very insightful review of it here:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?19959-Retro-Gen-Adapter&p=468660&viewfull=1#post468660

And some pictures of the guts also:

scaled.php?server=268&filename=retrogenadapterfrontchi.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=192&filename=retrogenadapterback.jpg&res=landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What a piece of sh1t, all the snes is doing is functioning as a PSU. Why not just release the thing with a damned 12v adaptor instead

EnterNow wrote: »
    What a piece of sh1t, all the snes is doing is functioning as a PSU. Why not just release the thing with a damned 12v adaptor instead

And control it how exactly? By the power of telekinesis? :pac:

You'll need some controller ports on there too. :P

• Advertisement

And control it how exactly? By the power of telekinesis? :pac:

You'll need some controller ports on there too. :P

It's a Genesis on a chip, the architecture is probably more or less already there. All you'd need is to put the ports on, or hell, mount the bloody thing inside a controller like the modern ones.

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's a Genesis on a chip, the architecture is probably more or less already there. All you'd need is to put the ports on, or hell, mount the bloody thing inside a controller like the modern ones.

I'm only taking the piss! I just pictured the unit as is, with a dc jack and no controller ports! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That interviewer is such a dickhead poser!

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

:eek: Go Google now!

206067.png

Robert Moogs 78th Birthday! :D

After clicking the doodle you can use the keys on your keyboard to play the notes.

Makes it easy to tweak controls with the mouse simultaneously!

The 4 track recorded is sweet to, you can share recordings of your tracks by hitting the link button underneath.

8901.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

safetyboy wrote: »

Was only watching Robocop 2 the other night and cringed at the cabs getting smashed about. Couldn't stick it to the end regardless, crap film. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Was only watching Robocop 2 the other night and cringed at the cabs getting smashed about. Couldn't stick it to the end regardless, crap film. :pac:

Yeah... forget about the child murder... Those poor cabs!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »

Lol at Mr. Morals. Did a child get murdered? Didn't get that far and can't remember from when I saw it originally.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol at Mr. Morals. Did a child get murdered? Didn't get that far and can't remember from when I saw it originally.

Yeah. Most people thought they went too far with that... The kid was an absolute sh*t though.

Can anyone name the Hollywood blockbuster that had a NEC Turbo Express in it as a major plot element?

specials-tgmovie-still11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Enemy of the State?

Yep. That's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yayyyyyyyyyy

Now where my cookie? -_-

video-game-tattoo-080708-katamari.jpg

1265274897_213.jpg?w=600

Katamari.jpg

katamari-damacy-baby.jpg?cb5e28

katamari-pokemon.jpg?cb5e28

game-over-tattoo.jpg

DinoRex wrote: »

The child would have been grand once the scene was over, the cabs though, they wern't acting :(

Having never played Diablo 1 and 2 I was up late last night going over wikipedia articles trying to make sense of what was going on in Diablo 3.

CuouR.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I believe you're simply meant to click your mouse several hundred thousand times? Everything else is inconsequential.

I need to know my motivation for killing the Spanish devil though.

Or it could just be about a hot sauce for all I know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why play Diablo 3 when DayZ exists?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement