Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Then there's that bit halfway through Valkyria Chronicles. It was manipulative as hell but it got to me :'(
    War...
    ... war is hell. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Most things featuring young people, with good hair, having fun make me upset and wondering where I left my rifle....
    Hipsters will die first, just train my sights on the front door of a Starbucks and let the games begin...

Didn't anyone shed a wee tear at Spocks alleged demise in Wrath of Khan??

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhnnn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

lion-king-mufasa-death.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I cry when the demon gets kicked out at the end of the Exorcist, I was rooting for him the whole way through....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I cried a little watching the Muppets movie today

Really brought me back to my childhood

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »
    I cried a little watching the Muppets movie today

Really brought me back to my childhood

wuss-baby-300x260.png

This tearful bloke thang is getting out of hand!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just when you thought Sonic couldn't humiliate himself more, Sega whores him out to Nike.

Click on the pink shoe that occurs around two-thirds of the way through this video for one button Emerald Hill Zone: http://www.youtube.com/nikefootball

mark155shoe.png

Still: better than any of the recent games :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The worst is still him selling insurance for some reason:

Still: better than any of the recent games :P
    Sonic Generations isn't bad, there's as much classic sonic as there is modern and I find modern sonic manageable that way. It's pretty cheap too, got it recently for 18 or so euro

• Advertisement

Sonic really should just give up, no more, leave it for Sega to periodically want to milk the cow some more and release a new "Best of Sonic" collection.
    It won't need to be very big, given how long it's been since there was a good Sonic game...
    Just re-release Sonic Jam, the one from the Saturn, every console generation and just face facts,

There will never be a good Sonic platformer again.

Now, maybe there will be Kart games or fighting games where he features, maybe wrestling or tennis, who knows, and that's fine.
    But no more attempts to shoehorn 3D into Sonic games please!
    Just leave the franchise alone, please?

Or Sega could try do a Mega Man 9 with Sonic and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sonic really should just give up, no more, leave it for Sega to periodically want to milk the cow some more and release a new "Best of Sonic" collection.
    It won't need to be very big, given how long it's been since there was a good Sonic game...
    Just re-release Sonic Jam, the one from the Saturn, every console generation and just face facts,

There will never be a good Sonic platformer again.

Now, maybe there will be Kart games or fighting games where he features, maybe wrestling or tennis, who knows, and that's fine.
    But no more attempts to shoehorn 3D into Sonic games please!
    Just leave the franchise alone, please?

Meanwhile at an office in Japan:

"I know! :eek: Amy Rose 3d FPS adventure! With Kinect and only for iPad!"

":pac: BRILLIANT!"
    "This is totally going to work!"
    "Great idea boss!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The Wii U tablet is looking slightly nicer now:

http://i.imgur.com/gt10c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

DinoRex wrote: »
    The Wii U tablet is looking slightly nicer now:

http://i.imgur.com/gt10c.jpg

Y U NO ASLEEP!

Been looking up about flight simulators again, and just discovered the F-15 Strike Eagle cabinet from 1991 which had excellent graphics for it's time.

225000102.jpg

MOAR STUFFZ IN DIZ THREAD HUURRRR:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?8069-slightly-ot-1980s-military-flight-simulator-with-flat-shaded-polygon-graphics

Seriously worth clicking all the links in that thread. Plenty of history in there.

Virtua Racing eat your heart out, here's a Namco arcade game called "winning run":

And the most astonishing thing of all was that it was released in 1988, :eek:

That's 4 years prior to Sega's Virtua Racing!!!

Continental Circus is only 1 year older!

Amazing!

1054233174.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well someone has taken a fierce dislike to retrovia.ie and I'm getting hit with a DoS attack as well as a SQL server code injection attack.

Fun times and stuff :0/

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well someone has taken a fierce dislike to retrovia.ie and I'm getting hit with a DoS attack as well as a SQL server code injection attack.

Fun times and stuff :0/

Sorry to hear that mate. :(

I wonder who the hell targeted and why.

In my sleep deprived state, I just heard your voice for the first time totally unexpectedly! :pac:

Scary Stuff!

I was watching hyperspin videos on youtube, and yours came up in the related vids:

Having a hyperspin setup, must be extremely dangerous to ones health!

When you have almost every game for almost every games system, just one click away, there's a huge risk you'll stay there and play it til you die of dehydration! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

waveform wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that mate. :(

I wonder who the hell targeted and why.

In my sleep deprived state, I just heard your voice for the first time totally unexpectedly! :pac:

Scary Stuff!

I was watching hyperspin videos on youtube, and yours came up in the related vids:

Having a hyperspin setup, must be extremely dangerous to ones health!

When you have almost every game for almost every games system, just one click away, there's a huge risk you'll stay there and play it til you die of dehydration! ;)

All seems to be under control now with the site, for the moment.

Ah yes, that vid I made when I was setting up Hyperspin(don't think I had the candy yet), someone had asked me to stick it up on youtube.
    It does look very well in 1080p but realistically if I want to play an emulator on windows I just use the normal emulator without a front end.

Steve SI wrote: »
    All seems to be under control now with the site, for the moment.

Ah yes, that vid I made when I was setting up Hyperspin(don't think I had the candy yet), someone had asked me to stick it up on youtube.
    It does look very well in 1080p but realistically if I want to play an emulator on windows I just use the normal emulator without a front end.

Without a front end is great if you know a specific game you're going to play,

but for platforms like the c64 with about 20,000 titles, a launcher and database like Gamebase 64 is a good way to find new games to play, by genre, release date etc...

I have still yet to set it up though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Virtua Racing eat your heart out, here's a Namco arcade game called "winning run":

And the most astonishing thing of all was that it was released in 1988, :eek:
    It is pretty amazing , bear in mind though , I Robot came out in 1983

3D hardware games were doable , but were really too expensive to make and maintain when you compared it to the 2d stuff of the time..

Sonic Generations isn't bad, there's as much classic sonic as there is modern and I find modern sonic manageable that way. It's pretty cheap too, got it recently for 18 or so euro

Nah, the 'classic' Sonic plays nothing like actual classic Sonic. The only thing I like about Generations is the revisited music. The graphics are nice too, but the level design & 'feel' to the controls is all off [as usual].

Sonic is dead, long dead, the crap today is the stuff of zombie hedgehog nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Check out Marvel's Zombie Sonic

Dr Bob wrote: »
    It is pretty amazing , bear in mind though , I Robot came out in 1983
    Before I was born!

Just came across Ultimate Air Combat for the NES which was released at the end of it's life:

Some impressive looking polygons and audio playback from the nimble little beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Any guesses as to why polygon graphics games took so long to catch on?

Did difficulty porting em to home consoles make them look less profitable overall for a long time? Or were they plain expensive and risky because of they were just harder to make? Or was it some other reason?

Winning Run looks stunning. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

a5y wrote: »
    Any guesses as to why polygon graphics games took so long to catch on?

Did difficulty porting em to home consoles make them look less profitable overall for a long time? Or were they plain expensive and risky because of they were just harder to make? Or was it some other reason?

Winning Run looks stunning. :eek:

Quite simply it took a long time until PC's had the power to run them and hardware acceleration became cheap enough to put in consoles.

Saying that the brits were well ahead of the game with 3D graphics. Stuff like the Freescape engine games, Elite etc. were doing 3D on the 16 and 8 bit micros while the rest of the world was still messing around with sprites. The exception to that was Atari who had been planning a polygon racer for years but didn't have the hardware.

Before I was born!

Just came across Ultimate Air Combat for the NES which was released at the end of it's life:

Some impressive looking polygons and audio playback from the nimble little beast.

My eyes must have been fierce blurry when I posted that last night!

There's no polygons, just sprites made to look like them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nah, the 'classic' Sonic plays nothing like actual classic Sonic. The only thing I like about Generations is the revisited music. The graphics are nice too, but the level design & 'feel' to the controls is all off [as usual].

Sonic is dead, long dead, the crap today is the stuff of zombie hedgehog nightmares.

I'd agree mostly, I wanted to like it so much, but figured a game not being entirely-broken/mediocre/gash isn't a good enough reason to label it great.

Just back from the 70mm showing of Terminator 2 in the IFI. Absolutely epic. I'd never seen it in the cinema before, & boy does it impress.

Thankfully it was so loud because for the people in my row it seems T2 is some kind of comedy film. I know there's some black humour in it, but jeez the things people laugh at :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just back from the 70mm showing of Terminator 2 in the IFI. Absolutely epic. I'd never seen it in the cinema before, & boy does it impress.

Thankfully it was so loud because for the people in my row it seems T2 is some kind of comedy film. I know there's some black humour in it, but jeez the things people laugh at :confused:

That guy was really annoying. Apparantly a red laser dot on the back of Miles Dyson's head is hilarious.

He was also cracking up when John's step dad gets impaled by the T-1000. :confused:

Aside from the few random oddballs, what a great show. The 70mm print was the best I've ever seen the film and the sound, wow. Blow your head off.

I'm just sad it's over :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement