Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Posted in YLYL - A Hipster Trap :D:D

out?f=838&url=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZmYmNkbi1zcGhvdG9zLWEuYWthbWFpaGQubmV0JTJGaHBob3Rvcy1hay1zbmM3JTJGMjk2NDI0XzE2MjM0Nzg2NzE5MjE0OF8xMDAwMDI1MDgwNjk5NTFfMjg5MzMyXzI2MzU2NzIwNV9uLmpwZw==&h=46f58

Does owning an SLR camera quantify Hipsterness? If so, Steve...step up man :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

EnterNow wrote: »

Operating a Holga toy camera from the 80's might! A Holga 120s in the picture above I believe*

*Wikipedia can make you look like an aficionado in seconds these days...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's more those novelty / old-fashioned cameras you get in the likes of Urban Outfitters. Fisheye lenses, 35mm film, high-contrast settings etc... Like Instagram, but in physical form.

I'm not going to lie; I quite like instagram. Mainly due to the search function, being able to see photos of places that were taken only minutes ago. For example there's a couple of users from kamakura who take unbelievable shots daily so always nice to just quickly open the app and see what they've seen today...sort of like watching them discover their own area

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's more those novelty / old-fashioned cameras you get in the likes of Urban Outfitters. Fisheye lenses, 35mm film, high-contrast settings etc... Like Instagram, but in physical form.
    ghostchant wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie; I quite like instagram. Mainly due to the search function, being able to see photos of places that were taken only minutes ago. For example there's a couple of users from kamakura who take unbelievable shots daily so always nice to just quickly open the app and see what they've seen today...sort of like watching them discover their own area

You guys, you know, I don't like slagging you off for being hipsters, but you really do give me no option :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I haven't actually seen too much of Instagram, and have no problem with it (what I have seen looks rather nice). Does seem rather big in Japan actually. Just used as a comparison - first time seeing it I was reminded of the stuff those Holga cameras produce.
    You guys, you know, I don't like slagging you off for being hipsters, but you really do give me no option

Don't own any of the cameras, nor do I have any intention do. I am just aware of their existence. EnterNow needs to be educated of these things, after all. He once thought a hipster was a type of trouser, after all :p

Master of the Universe

EnterNow needs to be educated of these things, after all.p

Is this some kind of hipster indoctrination?

Enternow! Run for your life! They wont be able to give chase in their restrictive skinny jeans!

o1s1n wrote: »
    You guys, you know, I don't like slagging you off for being hipsters, but you really do give me no option :(

A couple of my friends joke that I'm a hipster, solely due to the fact that I collect and play old video games...they don't even mention the fact I use a single-speed bike :P So we're all in this together, at least in their eyes!

I don't think I could look like less of a hipster if I tried though...unless they've had a serious change in dress sense in recent times :)

He's too distracted by ****ty cheese rock and 80s action movies! Quick, hit him with a Bright Eyes vinyl before he notices us!

Master of the Universe

the fact that I collect and play old video games...

Ah!!!!!

Now I'm being indoctrinated too!!!!

/hyperventilates

• Advertisement

Enternow! Run for your life! They wont be able to give chase in their restrictive skinny jeans!

Of all the things I'm geeky about, running is the biggest these days, so there's no escape!...now if you'll just give me about 40 minutes to change out of these jeans...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Posted in YLYL - A Hipster Trap :D:D

out?f=838&url=aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZmYmNkbi1zcGhvdG9zLWEuYWthbWFpaGQubmV0JTJGaHBob3Rvcy1hay1zbmM3JTJGMjk2NDI0XzE2MjM0Nzg2NzE5MjE0OF8xMDAwMDI1MDgwNjk5NTFfMjg5MzMyXzI2MzU2NzIwNV9uLmpwZw==&h=46f58

Me! A hipster? This is umpossibles.

Although I do need new glasses and was looking at some hipster 5 inch thick frames the other day :)

Edit:
    I suppose I should come clean about owning a Holga camera and its various cousins :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Girls became too popular after their second album.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, BF3 is worth getting. I enjoy it more than the COD games although I've not played it in a while now.
    You need to get in on this DayZ mod for Arma 2 that a few of us are playing, its the shizzle :D
    I'm on day 3 of a life now and it's tough going but worth it.

I'd love to but I just don't have the time to invest.
    Talk of 5 hours sessions to a man who maybe squeaks in an hour here or there, plus the multiplyer commitment, not going to happen!

I have a few things to finish here, including Red River and LA Noire, the latter not even started.

You know that you need to get to them when you have unwrapped titles with GAME stickers on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

That PBR stuff is muck as well.

I tried it when I was in LA. They serve it to you in the can and sometimes give you a shot of whiskey with it for some reason.

It's pretty much on par with Dutch Gold.

Operating a Holga toy camera from the 80's might! A Holga 120s in the picture above I believe*

*Wikipedia can make you look like an aficionado hipster in seconds these days...

Oh I agree. Henceforth Ghostchant officially joins the ranks of hipsterdom :p
    He once thought a hipster was a type of trouser, after all :p

Ah yeah, back when I was innocently unaware of the hipster subculture. I miss those days ha

Pah, hipsters. All I have to do is throw some organic vegan biscuits with Kanji designs at them...that'll have them scurrying & buy me time to escape
    He's too distracted by ****ty cheese rock and 80s action movies! Quick, hit him with a Bright Eyes vinyl before he notices us!

Oooh, nice try trilby boy...not this time though :P

Another 'memories' video by Rolfe. Not as good as the Contra one

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I've decided to perform an experiment on an unknowing volunteer. Sounds shifty right? Don't worry. Firstly they're a Legend of Dragoon fan and secondly they're the kind of person who'll get into an argument on YouTube. So they're a lost cause on 2 counts.

Anyway, this experiment: Rather than simply be a troll, fire my laser and kick their hugbox over, I'm going to see if I can make one of em fall out of love with LoD.

Impossible, right? Probably, but what the hell. Even if it fails it could be rather amusing to try. A couple of failure conditions need to be identified for our purposes:
    • LoD fan just resorts to wild name calling
    • I resort to the same
    • LoD threatens to kill me
    • I resort to the same
    • LoD fan commands me to perform sex acts (including bizarre, dangerous or unenjoyable ones)
    • I resort to, or indulge in the above with the LoD fan (even if I do a good job or rationalising it).
    • LoD fan stops responding to replies
    • LoD fan discovers this post (The cat is out of the bag)
    • I get bored and stop
    • I decide to try LoD (CRITICAL FAILURE)

I think that covers the most likely failure scenarios, but I may revise they list.

Unfortunately I can't think of any credible victory conditions. If they do just say "LoD sucks!!1!" or similar it look sarcastic or be a sign that they found out exactly what I was up to ("The cat is out of the bag"). So, instead take a Dwarf Fortress approach and maybe between mouthfuls of popcorn bet among yourself how I'll fail.

So, let's begin:

205523.png

I've already replied, so hopefully this important research can continue in a few days time. :pac:

In this I'm a short rectangle of #aabbff and our new acquaintance is the longwinded username hidden under #ff0000. If LoD fan's name is anything to go by, I will have my work cut out for me. The pointless censorship, that's just to minimise the possibility of White Knight goodie two shoes, and this user was simply the first one to come along and take the bait, I've had no interaction with theme before.
    • Additionally I'd appreciate if anyone looking for the original posts didn't dump links, either from here on there; or to the original YouTube comments on here, as they'd definitely interfere with this hopefully Stanley-Milgram-esque experiment. Please co-operate with the nice man in the lab coat.

This is just a debate with a subtext: I'm not trolling (hell, if I insult I lose. I'm stuck speaking nicer to this fan than I am my own mum, whether I like it or not... :mad: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

4JRY3.jpg

• Advertisement

I've yet to watch The Iron Giant...is it Toy Story 3 material?

Master of the Universe

I've yet to watch The Iron Giant...is it Toy Story 3 material?

Toy story 3 was great, but the iron giant is a much better film. One to watch with the young lad definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Love The Iron Giant.
    Its on Netflix actually. Goody gumdrops!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

a5y wrote: »
    I've decided to perform an experiment on an unknowing volunteer. Sounds shifty right? Don't worry. Firstly they're a Legend of Dragoon fan and secondly they're the kind of person who'll get into an argument on YouTube. So they're a lost cause on 2 counts.

Anyway, this experiment: Rather than simply be a troll, fire my laser and kick their hugbox over, I'm going to see if I can make one of em fall out of love with LoD.

Impossible, right? Probably, but what the hell. Even if it fails it could be rather amusing to try. A couple of failure conditions need to be identified for our purposes:
    • LoD fan just resorts to wild name calling
    • I resort to the same
    • LoD threatens to kill me
    • I resort to the same
    • LoD fan commands me to perform sex acts (including bizarre, dangerous or unenjoyable ones)
    • I resort to, or indulge in the above with the LoD fan (even if I do a good job or rationalising it).
    • LoD fan stops responding to replies
    • LoD fan discovers this post (The cat is out of the bag)
    • I get bored and stop
    • I decide to try LoD (CRITICAL FAILURE)

I think that covers the most likely failure scenarios, but I may revise they list.

Unfortunately I can't think of any credible victory conditions. If they do just say "LoD sucks!!1!" or similar it look sarcastic or be a sign that they found out exactly what I was up to ("The cat is out of the bag"). So, instead take a Dwarf Fortress approach and maybe between mouthfuls of popcorn bet among yourself how I'll fail.

So, let's begin:

205523.png

I've already replied, so hopefully this important research can continue in a few days time. :pac:

In this I'm a short rectangle of #aabbff and our new acquaintance is the longwinded username hidden under #ff0000. If LoD fan's name is anything to go by, I will have my work cut out for me. The pointless censorship, that's just to minimise the possibility of White Knight goodie two shoes, and this user was simply the first one to come along and take the bait, I've had no interaction with theme before.
    • Additionally I'd appreciate if anyone looking for the original posts didn't dump links, either from here on there; or to the original YouTube comments on here, as they'd definitely interfere with this hopefully Stanley-Milgram-esque experiment. Please co-operate with the nice man in the lab coat.

This is just a debate with a subtext: I'm not trolling (hell, if I insult I lose. I'm stuck speaking nicer to this fan than I am my own mum, whether I like it or not... :mad: ).

It's a lost cause. Sure you should see the rage I started up over on the JRPG forum for suggesting that FFVII had a very simple battle system. I wasn't even criticising the game just said that sine the talk was about introducing a newbie to gaming to the game and I was saying it would be a good starting point because it was simplistic. People like that are just delusional and won't listen to criticism, just look what he says about the graphics in LoD. All the reviews said that they were really rough in the game and it was a terrible looking game on release, only rightfully praising some of the nice water effects.

Just remember as Henry Jacobsen once said - 'People would rather be wrong than be different'. In the same way people don't like to admit they are wrong. It takes a very intelligent and mature person to admit they are wrong and youtube isn't the place you'll find them.

If you want some intelligent insight into LoD fanbase then Kat Bailey recently wrote an article about it:

www.joystiq.com/2012/05/02/understanding-the-legend-of-dragoon/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Iron Giant is on in the Lighthouse Cinema on Saturday 16th of June, as part of a kids film festival, but it is open to the public as well.
    It is a must see film, probably one of the most important animated features to come out of the states in the last 20 years, a brilliant well told, beautifully drawn and painted film.
    Plus, it's probably the only Jennifer Aniston/Harry Connick Jr/Vin Diesel film you're likely to see, unless their respective career paths take some tangential paths in the next few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, BF3 is worth getting. I enjoy it more than the COD games although I've not played it in a while now.
    You need to get in on this DayZ mod for Arma 2 that a few of us are playing, its the shizzle :D
    I'm on day 3 of a life now and it's tough going but worth it.

I'm actually getting into the original game, specifcally Operation Arrowhead atm, it's like BF3 on steroids!

I thought the game would be boring tbh, when I first watched gameplay videos on youtube.

You can drive everything from tractors to bombers!

And have full control over how you want to approach a mission, you can command your units, order them to use vehicles and attack the enemy also.

You can call in airstrikes, use artillery weapons.

You can have some serious fun with it, I thought it would be boring when i saw gameplays tbh!

If you go into the Scenarios in Operation Arrowhead, there's a showcase where you can use all the vehicles for the different forces at a base.

There's quads, and scramblers too!

You can have as much fun with it as Mercenaries 2!

Bah! Do you extend that same thinking out to on rail light gun games? You have no taste :p

Was making a reference to this! ;)

http://www.care2.com/causes/did-ted-really-censor-a-talk-for-being-too-political-video.html

I love railshooters, although.....

after playing the likes of Die Hard 2 (Die Hard Trilogy), and Time Crisis BEFORE i tried Virtua Cop on the PC....

i thought Virtua Cop was a snooze fest in comparison.

The Terminal level in Die Hard Trilogy, is my favourite level from any shooting game to this date.

The atmosphere and the music is PERFECT, and you can destroy every tile and set off every fire sprinkler on the ceiling, as well as practially every other square meter of that airport, the destructible detail was amazing for the time, and still ahead of most shooters today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3gsfwh_oyiU#t=143s

While we're on the topic, does anyone know which the best Guns are to buy for the Playstion / Playstation 2?

Accuracy would be the highest priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

waveform wrote: »
    While we're on the topic, does anyone know which the best Guns are to buy for the Playstion / Playstation 2?

Accuracy would be the highest priority.

rocket-launcher.jpg

• Advertisement

i thought Virtua Cop was a snooze fest in comparison.

The virtua cop games are much better games. They might seem boring in comparison because other games like die hard trilogy and time crisis are all flash. Virtua Cop however only shows it's true colours after a few plays. It's an excellent score chaser that requires some very fast and accurate shooting to get a high score.

G-Con really. I much prefer the G-con to the G-con 2 but it's not compatible with later PS2 games. Also be wary, I think early Konami light gun games use their own gun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement