Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    Angry Video Game Nerd's first reviews....

as a child in the late 80s, early 90's....

They're really having to dig deep on Cinemassacre for filler. Sooner the better he gets back from Cal....iforn....ia

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

There's some ****ing bat**** motion cabs in Joypolis, Sega's odd (and really rather expensive) indoor amusement park in Tokyo. Check out the 360 Storm-G stuff at 7:30 in the video below. Day I was there unfortunately the queues were two hours long for it. Watched an insane and very loud Japanese guy play House of the Dead 4 instead. First time I've ever seen Japanese people laugh at someone rather than with them.

7:30
    Never before have I wanted to know how to shout "Do a barrel roll!" in Japanese so, so badly. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

a5y wrote: »
    7:30
    Never before have I wanted to know how to shout "Do a barrel roll!" in Japanese so, so badly. :D

I really want to know what the loud Japanese woman is shouting all the while. Or perhap the confusing mystery is best kept that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Does anyone have a picture of the time in Gamestop on Henry Street with all the copies of Rayman for Playstation 1? I'll give you 10 internets for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Augmerson wrote: »
    Does anyone have a picture of the time in Gamestop on Henry Street with all the copies of Rayman for Playstation 1? I'll give you 10 internets for it.

Hello stranger!
    Long time no post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Some here might be interested this episode of VGMpire podcast which celebrates the music of Earthbound:
    http://www.vgmpire.com/2012/05/09/vgmpire-episode-21-happy-mothers-day/

VGMpire is a pretty cool podcast and worth checking out. I only really listen to episodes of games I am familiar with but then discovered some great songs in this rpg battle sampler mix:
    http://www.vgmpire.com/2012/02/23/vgmpire-episode-15-battle-sampler/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,551 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any of you here playing DayZ? It's a multiplayer mod for Arma 2 but it's meant to be absolutely amazing.

Apparantly it is by far the best zombie survival game ever made. Good thread about it on boards.

I've just purchased Arma 2 on steam to give it a go. Really can't wait!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056634133

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any of you here playing DayZ? It's a multiplayer mod for Arma 2 but it's meant to be absolutely amazing.

Apparantly it is by far the best zombie survival game ever made. Good thread about it on boards.

I've just purchased Arma 2 on steam to give it a go. Really can't wait!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056634133

Is it a 'game' per se, or just a huge map filled with swearing Americans?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The creepy-as Japanese plant things are coming to 3DS! Nightmares for all!

2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,551 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is it a 'game' per se, or just a huge map filled with swearing Americans?

Hah! I know I know, the same reason I don't really play online games myself.

But just read this, it sounds too interesting to pass up -

http://kotaku.com/5908753/this-might-be-the-greatest-zombie-game-ever-made

It's a bleak, brutal game, playing like some strange hybrid of STALKER, Fallout and Left 4 Dead. There's no map until you actually find one. No prompts showing you the location of other survivors. All you hear is the wind and the birds. Because it's built on such a realistic engine, if you want to go somewhere, you have to walk. If you want to pick stuff up, you can only take what you can carry.

If that wasn't making things hard enough, the mod's developers have added extra survival elements, like the need to eat and drink water. Two things which you'll want to do, since you take the role of a persistent player; leave a game and, if you're still alive, you'll come back in the same spot with the same gear. Die, though, and that's it. The weapons and tins of beans you worked so hard to get are gone.

The creepy-as Japanese plant things are coming to 3DS! Nightmares for all!

I thought you meant that ghost hunting game - WTF is that ****? That's far scarier than ghosts!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I thought you meant that ghost hunting game - WTF is that ****? That's far scarier than ghosts!

Big collectibles in Japan at the moment. Dwarf Encyclopedia seems to be one translation of the name. This should clear things up:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Big collectibles in Japan at the moment. Dwarf Encyclopedia seems to be one translation of the name. This should clear things up:

*Note to self:

Never take LSD in Japan. :/

This was in the related videos:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Anyone else love this show as a kid?

It's sort of like the Crystal Maze, if the producers of the Crystal Maze had dropped a lot of acid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to love that show!
    Brilliant stuff!
    The 70's kicked ass!
    And it made perfect sense, 8 year old kids don't need acid, they're tripping most of the time anyway!

X-Bomber!

Check out the music in this thing!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    8 year old kids don't need acid, they're tripping most of the time anyway!

The 70's, when Pong was only bettered by Ultra Pong....
    I'm sure developers had a slightly easier time coming up with sequel ideas then...
    "Well, for the next one, make the bats smaller blocks of white and make the ball block of white faster!"
    "Give that lad a bonus!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So I'm home from the pub. Not drunk but not sober. A glass of vino should bring me to drunkzville!

Man, your drinking habits are going to reduce you to some sort of Irish stereotype, don't do it!

• Advertisement

How a Dodrio flies:

eby6m.gif

Having just read the into of this I can safely predict the next 11 chapters will be f''king awful.

And I'm talking about Street Fighter 2. I'm even going to pretend SoR could have a coherent storyline. Punching dustbins to remove gold bars and lifesaving christmas dinners from beneath was the series high point for realism.

203290.jpg

Bad signs:

Vega is written in such a way that I dunno if he's Spaniad mask wearing western release Vega or Japanese Thailand resident hat wearing Vega.

Which one of them used a three foot katana to murder a mah jong player, slicing off a finger to steal a ring and stealing blood stained money, (presumably there will be an awful joke about laundering it coming up) and then throwing his head back and laughing evilly?

Wait a minute...

204470.jpg

Also: Chun Li is disguised as a Japanese peasant girl. In the small Japanese village of Mau Lau. Under a bamboo shelter.

Best needless bit: murdered guy is called Snake Eyes (because why not drag GI-JOE into this mess too :pac:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

There was a few of those novels knocking about , I remember having a Road Rash one , other than the protaganist being called Alex Player I cant remember much else...

Dr Bob wrote: »
    There was a few of those novels knocking about , I remember having a Road Rash one , other than the protaganist being called Alex Player I cant remember much else...

Shiva killed him in the end

Dr Bob wrote: »

Alex Player? Maybe it has potential :D(Even has the helmet hair too)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Redux: Dark Matters shmup coming to Steam/XBLA/PSN AND Dreamcast :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/kickstart-steam-xbla-psn-shmup-redux-to-get-a-dreamcast-version/

The Dreamcast - Just gets cooler with age :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Redux: Dark Matters shmup coming to Steam/XBLA/PSN AND Dreamcast :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/kickstart-steam-xbla-psn-shmup-redux-to-get-a-dreamcast-version/

That Kickstarter thing - do you get your money back if the target isn't reached?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That Kickstarter thing - do you get your money back if the target isn't reached?

They only take the money if the target is met. So you pay nothing until then.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement