Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Steve SI wrote: »
    Redux: Dark Matters shmup coming to Steam/XBLA/PSN AND Dreamcast :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/kickstart-steam-xbla-psn-shmup-redux-to-get-a-dreamcast-version/

...featuring legendary video game composer Chris Huelsbeck (Turrican, R-Type)...

If this doesn't get funded I'm going to be bitterly disappointed. And if it does get funded waiting 'til December is going to be murder.

(So murder me already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Why don't they just make a remake of Turrican and Turrican 2 repackaged
    Don't these folk see there is money to be made,fools
    XBLA...PLEASE..BILL GATES, NOW.
    And while your at it..Panzer Dragon Zwei,Orta and Saga.
    OHHH and Nights...Rant over
    BILL...BIIIIIILLLLLLL
    kill-bill-gates.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,878 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thing is, it's not a lousy game, the trilogy is good fun in fact, it just isn't SMW.
    So, taking SMW and SMB3 out of the equation, is DKC better than Yoshis Island?
    Yoshis Island was nowhere near as clever as SMW or SMB3, relying on gimmicks like transforming into vehicles to add interest into levels.
    While it looked nice it was a definite step backwards behind the great Snes and Nes titles, even though it was one of the last of a series of AAA titles released on the Snes here in Europe.
    So, is DKC, or any of it's sequels, better than Yoshis Island?

Another question, are the Donkey Kong Land games on the Gameboy better than the Super Mario Land titles?
    Here I think it's much closer, with the technological feat of the DK titles outshining the compromises of the SML games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Holy ****, that looks amazing on the Gameboy!
    It's like watching a donkey kong film in monochrome!

Seriously impressive port of the game! :eek:

Here I think it's much closer, with the technological feat of the DK titles outshining the compromises of the SML games.

To be fair though there's a 6 year gap between the 2 games posted,

so it's inevitable DKL is going to be pushing the technical limits a lot more than SNL.

Which kind of brings us back to the debate of SMB vs DKC!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,878 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yoshis Island was nowhere near as clever as SMW or SMB3, relying on gimmicks like transforming into vehicles to add interest into levels.
    While it looked nice it was a definite step backwards behind the great Snes and Nes titles, even though it was one of the last of a series of AAA titles released on the Snes here in Europe.
    So, is DKC, or any of it's sequels, better than Yoshis Island?

Are you taking the piss? There's not even an argument there, Yoshi's Island is far superior... and to say that the game isn't inventive.... You're either trolling or I need to find my facepalm.jpg

The DKC games are competent platformers with great music but nothing more.
    Another question, are the Donkey Kong Land games on the Gameboy better than the Super Mario Land titles?

Better than Super Mario Land yes but Mario Land 2? Get out of here.

Good day to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

All the fun of my daily commute but without the smell of hash coming from the back:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Finally got around to playing Shinobi on 3DS.. god damn it's difficult, proper side scrolling ninja action:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DinoRex wrote: »
    All the fun of my daily commute but without the smell of hash coming from the back:

Doors are on the wrong side. How am I meant to get immersed in the otherwise scarily photorealistic simulator with such a grievous error!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

DinoRex wrote: »
    All the fun of my daily commute but without the smell of hash coming from the back

But that's the best part!

Doors are on the wrong side. How am I meant to get immersed in the otherwise scarily photorealistic simulator with such a grievous error!

It seems it's actually as mod for a bus simulator set in 1980's West Berlin...

And who says hello to a bus driver... you just say thanks when you're getting off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

pdbhp wrote: »
    Finally got around to playing Shinobi on 3DS.. god damn it's difficult, proper side scrolling ninja action:)

Yeah, but it's EXACTLY the same as Strider..... or so the experts say....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Yeah, but it's EXACTLY the same as Strider..... or so the experts say....

Not a bad thing though:rolleyes:

Just after giving up battery wasted and am too lazy and hung over to get up and plug it in so playing the Wii now, NSMBWii.

This game looks good, though the dude talking is defo a total knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,551 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, and we thought Jack Burton was bad with his tayto offers. Check out this offer on a cab on adverts -

lizards.jpg

Lizards or snakes?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Lizards', or 'snakes and cash'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pretty sure thats also against Adverts T&C's, no aminal sale/trading. At least, it used to be...

EnterNow wrote: »
    Pretty sure thats also against Adverts T&C's, no aminal sale/trading. At least, it used to be...

Sure it's a jungle out there.
    Forgiveness please.

EnterNow wrote: »

I don't think it should tbh....

there's plenty of snakes on adverts that should be used as currency.... ;)

• Advertisement

What next?
    Iguana's for Naomi's?
    Komodos for G-Nets?

Field Mice for CDi's? (with cash, natch)

What next?
    Iguana's for Naomi's?
    Komodos for G-Nets?

Field Mice for CDi's? (with cash, natch)

Ciderbabies for rare vectrex items!

What?

I'd trade a few waveybabies for them if I possessed them! ;)

lol!

i_love_cider_bib.jpg?color=SkyBlue&height=460&width=460

3510251673_8b53068d1d_z.jpg?zz=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

i'M BEGINNING TO LOSE PATIENCE WITH ADVERTS.

Seriously worth subbing / checking out the videos on the VintageCG channel

Some glorious computer graphics reels from various 80s production companies, japanase commercials etc...

Check out these lovely vector graphics, especially in the Philips commercial!

Some Japaneseyness!

There's also videos on the history of computer graphics and things!

Master of the Universe

Jesus lads, I just came out of a 5 hour game of that DayZ zombie mod I was on about - one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had - ever.

Its a rogue like FPS RPG. So if you die, that's it. Everyone can kill everyone. But by some chance in this game I teamed up with two random guys and we went exploring the place.

Just to note, the servers are real time. So if it's dark in reality it's dark in the game. Literally pitch black. You have to use flares to see.

Luckily one of my team mates found a glock 17 with a torch about 2 hours in. So we were able to use that to see a bit.

But yeah, the attachment and bond you form after the trauma you go through. We took a break a few hours in, found an abandoned building high up and had a beer and a chat :)

It all ended though when I took a bullet to the face. :(

Can officially say I'm hooked. I'd go back into another game but it's 3am!

That sounds fantastic man, tempted to buy Arma II for it alone!
    o1s1n wrote: »
    It all ended though when I took a bullet to the face. :(

Was it one of the guys you teamed up with or different survivors?

Master of the Universe

We'd come out of a difficult situation with a load of zombies. Came across another team of guys. We were low on ammo and health supplies, so we made a decision to take them out and steal their stuff.

It went really wrong though and I died. The other two lads on my team survived though and avenged my death :D

Added them both on steam so we're going to try and hook up again some other time.

I bought Arma 2 for it too by the way. Definitely 100% worth it. If you do want to get it, remember to get the Combined Operations version.

I'd give it a go if a) I had a computer that could run it and b) could get over my only semi-rational repulsion of any game that features zombies.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Been hearing good things.

Where's the best place to buy a copy of Arma 2? You just need the standard copy to apply the mod?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement