Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought it was the bit where a lad was going mad with a joystick near the start. Can't say I laughed, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

What a horrible time we live in!.
    For the first time in ages I had monies to get a game, went to Gamestop/HMV & Smyths and I saw nothing that got me excited. Considering that usually a crap DS title is enough to get me going.

Very worried indeed that the selection was so poor and in Smyths every game was full price including ones that should have been put in the bin.

Edit: Oh yea I spent the gaming money on beer in the end so it's not all doom and gloom:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Funny enough, I had the opposite effect when I went into Gamestop yesterday. Wanted to buy Metal Gear Solid 3 and Ace Combat 3D. Couldn't justify spending €45 on either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I think I've just fell in love with Akihabara!

Looks like electronic component heaven, and shows a little retro gaming in the second half also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's one for y'all Mononoke fans...

1332359187_BOTTOM_20.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

nuxxx wrote: »
    Heres a nice triniton and sound system going for free in Dublin http://www.adverts.ie/tv/sony-29-tv/1498969

Best damn TV there is, well, aside from some insano-vision HD CRT you can get from some arcane store in Akihabara.

Oh, and no posting links to auctions or sales here!
    It's already sold so it doesn't matter but please use the appropriate thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I picked up that CRT in the end, I've been looking for one for ages, pretty sure it's the same model as yours Ciderman if I recall correctly.

Only one slight problem, there seems to be vertical white/gray lines on the LHS of the screen, it's only very visible on black screens and motion reduces it's noticability. As I don't have the remote on me at the moment (left it in a friends car), is this something I can fiddle with or is it just the tube dying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

waveform wrote: »
    I think I've just fell in love with Akihabara!

Looks like electronic component heaven, and shows a little retro gaming in the second half also.

3 months from today I will be on my way there!

turtle-litebox.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    3 months from today I will be on my way there!

Are you getting a JR Pass thing before you go?

You can only buy it outside of Japan and collect it when you get there as far as I know(they give you a voucher of some sort before you travel and you redeem the pass at the rail station in Japan). It will save you a fortune in transport if your going to be using the rail networks.

http://www.uniquejapantours.com/japan-travel-guide/japan-rail-pass

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

JR Pass is great, but if you're only going to Fuji (which I believe was Pyongyang's plan last we heard) you'd be better just getting the bus which is dirt cheap from Tokyo, and leaves just across from the Yodabashi Camera in Shinjuku.

But yeah, if you're getting shinkansen or going anywhere further afield, J-Pass is a lifesaver. Just don't ****ing lose it, like one of my travel companions once foolishly did despite the plethora of warnings that there'd be no reissues.

Just starting Dead Space 2, decided that it's sat, glaring at me from the shelf for long enough.
    Going to play it in the day time, to save on underpants changes.

What's a fair price for a boxed sega 32x??
    I'm on the look out and they seem to go for over £100 sterling on ebay not inc postage.
    Seems high or is that the norm these days?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just starting Dead Space 2, decided that it's sat, glaring at me from the shelf for long enough.
    Going to play it in the day time, to save on underpants changes.

Dead Space 2 was a real disappointment. It opens well, but soon degrades into an endless series of repetitive corridors (including one really, really long one) and predictable monster closets.

Still, I'm not going to risk it, I nearly ran out of spare pairs of underbeneaths during my play through of Silent Hill 2.

Monster Closet you say?
    Ikea is it?
    Monsteropolis branch?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Still, I'm not going to risk it, I nearly ran out of spare pairs of underbeneaths during my play through of Silent Hill 2.

Monster Closet you say?
    Ikea is it?
    Monsteropolis branch?

It's actually not all that scary - more gruesome than creepy.

The Alien > Aliens contrast is similar to the Dead Space > Dead Space 2 one. The originals rely on creeping dread. The sequels rely on **** blowing up and stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    What's a fair price for a boxed sega 32x??
    I'm on the look out and they seem to go for over £100 sterling on ebay not inc postage.
    Seems high or is that the norm these days?

Best price is not to buy one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

But then how do you play Cosmic Carnage?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Yeah, save up for a CD-i instead :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

Is it just plain wrong to find this video hilarious to this very day?

I blame it on the pure epicness of the highly infectious Guile Theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Pain and suffering, just went to play my DS and the hinge is yet again broken. My sons DS is also broken cracked the hinge and cracked right across the touch screen face:(

Pee'd off over it cos I wanted to play DS, yes I know I have a 3DS but I want to play games on original hardware.

542907_287806804627364_111701752237871_649648_482972328_n.jpg

O_o

Major redesign of the man cave going on today. 3D home design apps and everything :D
    Looks like I'll be keeping IKEA busy for the next week or so. They do have some great storage and shelving options if you have a load of consoles and stuff you want on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Im buying a gun to shoot this bastard:mad:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boulder%20dash

Wow, Boulder Dash = Sh1t.
    Why didn't anyone tell Sparks before now?
    Was it meant to be a secret? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

DinoRex wrote: »

f**k! :(

What a hero. RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBvbsPNBIyk

My favourite part of the interview is when he tells about when Bill gates wanted 10% (iirc) of the profits for each c64 sold, for the BASIC license.

Jack tells him he has a wife to pay for and Bill settled for a 5 figure some!

Wasn't a happy a man I'd say afterwards, but sure he screwed IBM over when he bought QDos for a tiny sum and sold it for millions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

this makes me very sad :( carving up a development xbox to make *that*

I normally hate when people hack apart perfectly good NES systems to put together a poorly cooled shoddy PC in the case, but this is about 1000 times worse. Just too stupid to comprehend :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement