Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Steve SI wrote: »
    You might be able to just keep the original screen and put the transparent over that??
    That would be about as authentic as you can get I'd say.

There won't be room for the original sccreen, seems to be tight inside, though it would be the best solution.
    I could leave the screen in and use the case for my DS Lite instead.. that might fit a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Question if anyone knows - I'm off to the Philippines next week on a work trip. We're staying in Manila, so I hope to explore the place after work.

My girlfriend keeps telling me all the Filipino kids in her class are mad into their gaming.

I also remember hearing in the past that someone was stabbed to death in Manila over a game of Counterstrike.

If they're killing each other over games, surely they have a decent arcade somewhere?

Anyone ever been and know any good spots like that? Steve_SI - I'm looking at you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Question if anyone knows - I'm off to the Philippines next week on a work trip. We're staying in Manila, so I hope to explore the place after work.

My girlfriend keeps telling me all the Filipino kids in her class are mad into their gaming.

I also remember hearing in the past that someone was stabbed to death in Manila over a game of Counterstrike.

If they're killing each other over games, surely they have a decent arcade somewhere?

Anyone ever been and know any good spots like that? Steve_SI - I'm looking at you :pac:

I was only there the once and it was years ago. I wasn't looking for arcades at that time so I'm not really going to be much help to you(I was travelling the world with my camera and about 50 euro in my back pocket back then).
    They did have arcade machines in pretty much every shopping centre i went to so I'd say you will find a decent arcade if you have a look online.

I'm off to the Philippines next week on a work trip. We're staying in Manila...Anyone ever been and know any good spots like that?

No problem, here you go. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This might be of interest to some people, it's a series of podcasts talking to members of the defunct but excellent Looking Glass Studios. These guys are responsible for classics such as the Thief, System Shock, Flight Unlimited and Ultima Underworld series as well as games such as Terra Nova. Many of them went to form Harmonix:

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought a good few of their games, the Flight Unlimited series were brilliant, flying games for people who didn't want to have to learn to be a pilot to have fun.
    I still marvel at Thief on the Xbox and there is little about System Shock and it's sequel that hasn't been mentioned in these pages numerous times before.
    Pity about some of them shacking up with John Romero, what a tool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Be prepared, the place has two seasons, hot and dry or hot and wet.
    As in VERY hot!
    I work with loads of colleagues from there, a great country made up of countless islands, lots of ferry trips to get around, and don't forget this little tit-bit about the country...

The Filipino lads and I were chatting about the Philippines and I asked one of the lads about the great explorer Magellan,

"Yes", he replied, "we ate him!"

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Be prepared, the place has two seasons, hot and dry or hot and wet.
    As in VERY hot!
    I work with loads of colleagues from there, a great country made up of countless islands, lots of ferry trips to get around, and don't forget this little tit-bit about the country...

The Filipino lads and I were chatting about the Philippines and I asked one of the lads about the great explorer Magellan,

"Yes", he replied, "we ate him!"
    They shouldn't have eaten him really. I hear when you eat Magellan he goes "strait" to your hips :rolleyes::o

Edit:
    I should get a ban for using history/geography joke.
    If you don't get the joke then be happy and move on folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Did anyone see "get your house in order" on channel4 last night? It's a show where horders are helped to sell their collections in order to have money to redecorate their house. There was a guy in last night's episode who had huge collections of electronics, toys and games and had to sell it all... it made for some uneasy viewing especially when the narrator was saying "he has to sell his star wars space ship"... it's the millennium falcon ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

They shouldn't have eaten him really. I hear when you eat Magellan he goes "strait" to your hips :rolleyes::o

Edit:
    I should get a ban for using history/geography joke.
    If you don't get the joke then be happy and move on folks.

The Straits of Magellan? Didn't Ciderman help discover those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Straits of Magellan? Didn't Ciderman help discover those?

No they had age restrictions on on ventures to find new trade routes to the spice islands. Couldn't get insurance on the older sailors. I hear he helped Marco Polo out though. :p
    (my first age related joke about Ciderman there and I hadn't a clue about his age)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    my first age related joke about Ciderman there and I hadn't a clue about his age)

He's 56

trollface_display.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

56?! He could easily pass for early 60's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I still marvel at Thief on the Xbox

Meh, was good but compared to the first two games it was consolised rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Never played the thief games, really must get into them. Plus it gets the award for one of the worst word number rapes ever with thi4f

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

waveform wrote: »
    I remember the little code sheet section of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Galactic Gardener alright!

Just managed to find the TMHT one! It's like looking at a log table or something except worse!

http://www.sfodb.com/scans/301/000343001276000006.jpg

Holy shi*. It was this exact one. The whole x is columns, y is rows thing just went completely over my head - and my older brother's & parents'. And I remember it was TMNT as when I got the NES, it had a Turtles game that didn't have incomprehensible copy protection.

This is the reason I started as a console gamer instead of a computer gamer.

Pity in a way, I'm trying to do CodeYear (its slowly moving along, I've to keep notes since I swear I've forgotten tons) and having a few decades headstart with programming would be a bloody big help. Alas it was not to be.

One day. One day...

199308.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Bizarre, I saw a BASIC set for the PS2 a couple of weeks ago. Entirely Japanese though so of little to no use. Didn't know there was a Saturn one, very cool.

In other news, my wallet is having convulsions. Moments away from a rather prodigious purchase. To click buy or not...? GULP!...

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Bizarre, I saw a BASIC set for the PS2 a couple of weeks ago. Entirely Japanese though so of little to no use. Didn't know there was a Saturn one, very cool.

In other news, my wallet is having convulsions. Moments away from a rather prodigious purchase. To click buy or not...? GULP!...

nike-just-do-it.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

:D

I dunno... What to do! What to do! :confused:

I dunno... What to do! What to do! :confused:

Give more info and maybe the arcade and retro forum brain trust can help.

Undecided.

ESP Ra De [PCB, JPN ver.] - Super tidy board. Super tidy price.

or

New Behringer monitors.

:confused:

Undecided.

ESP Ra De [PCB, JPN ver.] - Super tidy board. Super tidy price.

or

New Behringer monitors.

:confused:

Hmm, If the price is right go for ESP Ra De, you might not find the price as good again.
    You can always grab the Behringer monitors again as they are more or less a set price unless you have a good deal on them as well.

Hmm, If the price is right go for ESP Ra De, you might not find the price as good again.
    You can always grab the Behringer monitors again as they are more or less a set price unless you have a good deal on them as well.

Indeed. You know the score though. I dunno, some beefy Behringers would be nice... :(

edit: Also the 7BITCH DVD box is out. Only available in Japan though direct from Enterbrain, they won't ship international. €77 friggin' Euro for the DVD Box though. Why the feck are DVD's so expensive in Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

a5y wrote: »
    Holy shi*. It was this exact one. The whole x is columns, y is rows thing just went completely over my head - and my older brother's & parents'. And I remember it was TMNT as when I got the NES, it had a Turtles game that didn't have incomprehensible copy protection.

Yeah, and I love the way they had it printed on the darkest possible Wine colour also!

The only logic I see in that, is that if you photocopied the page,
    the contrast of the ink on the copy would be too low to differentiate between the Text and the background!

It's almost like an prehistoric form of CAPTCHA or something haha!

The only fear with carts back then was if some chinese factory started producing knock offs, where as with the tapes every single person who had access to a hifi, no matter what age could easily copy a c64 game!

It makes you think also, how hardcore a geek you would have had to of been in the 80s, before the Internet,
    to disassemble a Cartridge and make a dump from the EEPROM.

I look upto people like that, these days its so much easier to find out about hacking, soldering and electronics with the Internet at our disposal.

I suppose people had BBS back then, but still, you must have had high levels of geekery to be using them at the time.

Watch this video and see if you soil yourself laughing at the exact same time I did. Feel free to post the time on the video where you laughed below. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Heres a nice triniton and sound system going for free in Dublin http://www.adverts.ie/tv/sony-29-tv/1498969

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Watch this video and see if you soil yourself laughing at the exact same time I did. Feel free to post the time on the video where you laughed below. :)

To the end, without laughing :confused:

• Advertisement

To the end, without laughing :confused:

I assume its the 8k a year line.
    Was that a lot in the 1988 ????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement