Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sera wrote: »
    did that even happen anyone here?

My second console was a PS2, first was the recently discovered Audiosonic pong thing . Kinda took a twenty year break between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

My first console was a Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Atari 2600 was my first console. the wooden one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Atari ST for me (well really my sisters but I commandeered it. Fcuking Dizzy again -_-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

C64 for me... I wanted an Amiga :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Game Gear.

Because Gameboy was too mainstream.

[/hipsterorigins]

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

My first was a GBA SP :o then quickly followed by ps2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

First owned a C64, briefly, then a NES.

Anyone remember their first impressions of having to look up a code in a hard to read page of the manual to just to play their blasted game?

Well, that's why my C64 ownership was brief. :( Still kinda pining for one though. :P

Never knew anything about Tokyo Jungle until today. WTF, but want.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Andrew?76 wrote: »
    Really? Maybe this is a bad trailer but it looks sh1te to me (unless you're into some panda love :pac:). Wandering about as an animal trying to survive against other animals? Looks like a PS1 game from the action shots too. Meh.

Just checked, nope, nobody p1ssed in my cornflakes this morn...
    Is that seriously a PS3 game? :p your'e right, it looks incredibly dated, but I love the concept. Nothing gets my blood rushin' like forced small to medium sized animal bloodsport :cool:

do I see a giraffe?

a5y wrote: »
    First owned a C64, briefly, then a NES.

Anyone remember their first impressions of having to look up a code in a hard to read page of the manual to just to play their blasted game?

But the potential for ripping games was so massive. (if you owned a ghetto blaster with 2 tape decks in it :D)

My first was a Vic-20, then I got a NES, and that pretty much kicked off my gaming addiction. I was hooked on tetris, mario, power blade, zelda, and a bunch of others i still play today.

Playing back now through some of the raft of third party shovelware on the nes, man were we being ripped off. I seem to remember paying up to IRL£50 for games, some of which weren't fit to be used as doorstops :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My first was the Spectrum, but I got to spend a lot of time playing my mates Atari 400, also my cousins Vic 20.
    The Spectrum was great, I got a couple of very happy years there, then there was a hiatus before picking up a C64, Spectrum +3 and then a Gameboy.
    After that there was a Megadrive, Snes and the rest is history!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My Very first console was a pong game, my uncle was a bin man and he found it and gave it to me haha.. it worked perfect.

I got Astro Wars then..

after that i got a c64 for my commuinion! followed up with a NES a few years later. loved the c64 played it for years, Batman the caped crusader, gangster, army days.. had a yogi bear game too that i loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Doge

a5y wrote: »

Well, that's why my C64 ownership was brief. :( Still kinda pining for one though. :P

I remember the little code sheet section of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Galactic Gardener alright!

Just managed to find the TMHT one! It's like looking at a log table or something except worse!

http://www.sfodb.com/scans/301/000343001276000006.jpg

These seem to be the best sites for C64 scans, i.e. game manuals, covers etc...

http://www.sfodb.com/index.php?page=browse&function=recent

http://www.c64games.de/phpseiten/spiele.php

http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/games/

Definitely worth bookmarking those.

I wonder if gamebase automatically downloads them, I still haven't installed it.

SAhDV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Game Gear.

Because Gameboy was too mainstream.

[/hipsterorigins]
    I got mine after my gameboy, I think my cousin gave it to me when I made my communion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Doge

DinoRex wrote: »
    SAhDV.gif

I have no idea what's going on there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fallout 1 free on GoG for 48 hours.

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

My first was a gameboy. Megaman 2, tetris and marioland. Doesn't get any better than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just saw on Gaygamer that the pokemon/koei hardcore strategy game mashup is getting a US release, not seen anything about Europe, in June or July. I'm sold!

It's called Pokemon Conquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement

Disproved a fun little retro gaming myth today :)

A bit of background, although some of you may already know this...

a. The opening live action sequence of Resident Evil 1 has a somewhat mysterious history. What is known is it was directed by Mr. Mikami himself in Japan, and is by most accounts hammy as ****. Most of the actors are uncredited: Jill Valentine, for example, is played by someone known only as Inezh.

b. Una Kavanagh is an Irish actress best known for her roles in the Clinic and Fair City. She's also a sculptor.

Anyway, how do these two link up? Somewhere along the line, internet rumour and conjecture determined that Una Kavanagh was in fact this anonymous 'Inezh'. There's rather lengthy threads on the Internet about it, including ones here and another here on boards. Even her IMDB profile lists her as Jill Valentine in Resi 1. However, anyone who has contacted her in relation to this has 'supposedly' (this being the unreliable internet) received denials about it, as you can see in the threads below.

She's currently starring in a film we're making as part of our masters, so decided to approach her about it today and see if I could get a response about it. The result was a very clear video response from Una Kavanagh hereself that she is not in fact Jill Valentine, and that no she has no idea how the rumour started. Hopefully will be able to get said video proof up at some point :)

Anyway, just think it's a very funny and unusual little story, and one I hadn't heard about until earlier this week. Was nice to get a relatively definitive answer on one bizarre gaming myth!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    My first was a gameboy. Megaman 2, tetris and marioland. Doesn't get any better than that.

2 player head to head tetris on the original gameboy was GDLK. I wonder if you can still get game link cables? They were rare enough even back then, but worth it for that game alone.

It was pretty much disproven years ago but that rumour just never seems to die. The actors in Resi 1 were all just whatever western interns capcom could find in their offices to play the parts and looked similar to the game models.

waveform wrote: »
    I have no idea what's going on there!

It's about the wonderful Journey on the PS3.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was pretty much disproven years ago but that rumour just never seems to die. The actors in Resi 1 were all just whatever western interns capcom could find in their offices to play the parts and looked similar to the game models.

You wonder why anyone would want to disassociate themselves from such emotive, captivating performances.

You wonder why anyone would want to disassociate themselves from such emotive, captivating performances.

'Joseph!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well after a self imposed exile for the last few weeks, I haven't even been playing any games I'm back and badder than ever.

Anywho I have a broken Gameboy case and am going to make it into a sweet case fr my 3DS like this one.

3ds_in_gameboy.gif

Now what I need is some small hinges, would I try some place like B&Q?
    I also need to print out of a screen shot from a Gameboy game, I wonder what the best type of printing for the most authentic look would be, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well after a self imposed exile for the last few weeks, I haven't even been playing any games I'm back and badder than ever.

Anywho I have a broken Gameboy case and am going to make it into a sweet case fr my 3DS like this one.

3ds_in_gameboy.gif

Now what I need is some small hinges, would I try some place like B&Q?
    I also need to print out of a screen shot from a Gameboy game, I wonder what the best type of printing for the most authentic look would be, any suggestions?

Perhaps print it on a transparency and put that over some greeny yellow paper or plastic???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Steve SI wrote: »
    Perhaps print it on a transparency and put that over some greeny yellow paper or plastic???

Good idea, never even thought of a transparency.

Gotta cut the guts out of it first and clean it as it's yellow as a tramps teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

pdbhp wrote: »
    Good idea, never even thought of a transparency.

Gotta cut the guts out of it first and clean it as it's yellow as a tramps teeth.

You might be able to just keep the original screen and put the transparent over that??
    That would be about as authentic as you can get I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement