Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can't get my c**ting 32X to work. No wonder the system died a death. I'll open it tomorrow & do the ribbon fix :mad:

Retro gaming reminds me of classic car maintenance sometimes. You can't plug in a cart & expect the system to work no sir'ee. Tlc is often needed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nintendo 64 DD or not Nintendo 64 DD, that is the question?

Is it worth getting one, and if so do I go for the Jap or US version? Been wanting one of these for a while so I can take my N64 of the 3DO and stop pretending :rolleyes:

Edit:
    It never made it outside of nippon so its the jap version or nothing.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Nintendo 64 DD or not Nintendo 64 DD, that is the question?

Is it worth getting one, and if so do I go for the Jap or US version? Been wanting one of these for a while so I can take my N64 of the 3DO and stop pretending :rolleyes:

Are they really worth the expense? What software is available for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

EnterNow wrote: »
    Can't get my c**ting 32X to work. No wonder the system died a death. I'll open it tomorrow & do the ribbon fix :mad:

Retro gaming reminds me of classic car maintenance sometimes. You can't plug in a cart & expect the system to work no sir'ee. Tlc is often needed

Let me about it !! I've classic cars as well as a few ancient consoles, stuff just doesn't like being left idle to long..

Are they really worth the expense? What software is available for them?

There is a bit of software available for it. Nothing crazy good but its also the hardware itself that interests me, from a collectors point of view.
    Can't be faking it with a 3DO under the N64 all my life :D
    The F-Zero X Expansion Kit would be something of interest but there isnt a lot out for it really. As i said, a collectors item.

Perhaps the randnet cart could be used in the future for some sort of hack/homebrew or other use.

• Advertisement

There is a bit of software available for it. Nothing crazy good but its also the hardware itself that interests me, from a collectors point of view.
    Can't be faking it with a 3DO under the N64 all my life :D
    The F-Zero X Expansion Kit would be something of interest but there isnt a lot out for it really. As i said, a collectors item.

Perhaps the randnet cart could be used in the future for some sort of hack/homebrew or other use.

I can certainly identify with that, sometimes its the hardware rather than the software that pushes me towards a buy. Do they command big money in Nippon, give your over that way at least you can save on the postage...

I can certainly identify with that, sometimes its the hardware rather than the software that pushes me towards a buy. Do they command big money in Nippon, give your over that way at least you can save on the postage...

They go for the same money in Japanoland as they do on ebay(more or less)and it would be ebay I'd be getting it from(ebay.jp) as I wont be in Japan for a while(new job etc). I've seen them go for between 550-1000 euro so it's not cheap by any means.

Also, I know I use parentheses  way to often but tis proper forum english and such :o

I've seen them go for between 550-1000 euro so it's not cheap by any means.

Ouch, no thanks. Not for that money, I'd quicker by a proto/dev kit...maybe an M2 system or something.

Ouch, no thanks. Not for that money, I'd quicker by a proto/dev kit...maybe an M2 system or something.

I already gots me one of them bad boys :)

I already gots me one of them bad boys :)

Really? In that case N64 DD all d way

• Advertisement

Really? In that case N64 DD all d way

Yeah, a recent purchase(couple months ago).
    I'll look into the 64DD a bit more before deciding.

On a related note, does anyone have or know of any hacks to allow these old consoles that also have a modem to get out to the internet/network using some sort of adapter/device to connect to a more modern network?
    I remember there was something you could do with a dreamcast by connecting it to a modem in your pc and running some software to emulate an ISP.

I've also got a bband adapter for the gamecube, anything cool I can do with it as its just sitting there attached to the bottom of the cube looking pretty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've also got a bband adapter for the gamecube, anything cool I can do with it as its just sitting there attached to the bottom of the cube looking pretty.

You can link other gamecubes and do a LAN party!

You can link other gamecubes and do a LAN party!

I have gamecubes :rolleyes:

Is there some sort of boot disc? I only got the adapter as is, no disc or packaging. If its console to console then I probably need a crossover cable but I can make that myself so no probs there.
    If I can hook it up to my LAN then all the better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No, just use the games that support it. Mario kart for example (supports up to 16 players I think). Only drawback is the other gamecube also needs a broadband adaptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

You can network them via a PC running a programme called Warp Pipe actually. Lets you play Mario Kart over the internet using the broadband modem. Never tried it though.

No, just use the games that support it. Mario kart for example (supports up to 16 players I think). Only drawback is the other gamecube also needs a broadband adaptor.

I grabbed two of them so I'm ok on that front. After a little googling i see you can do a bit of homebrew without a chip using some pc software. Handy stuff indeed :)

DinoRex wrote: »
    You can network them via a PC running a programme called Warp Pipe actually. Lets you play Mario Kart over the internet using the broadband modem. Never tried it though.

Cool, I'll definitely check it out when I get back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I have an adapter as well.

16 MK DD is something of a life long dream.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I have an adapter as well.

16 MK DD is something of a life long dream.

It can be done, we have the technology :pac:

This is the dreamcast pc server software i mentioned earlier. You can connect your DC's modem cable to a PC modem and trick into connecting and using your pc as an ISP.

http://www.maturion.de/dreamcast/mterlouw/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Would I be right to think I heard of people running street fighter III servers and playing DC online, up until recently???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

is someone on here Dabyx Man on FB?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I signed up to the Neo-geo forums since it's the only place with decently price MVS stuff. I've two posts to my name but I still can't access my PM's and can't send any private messages either so I can't deal with people on the trading forums. Does anyone know how the hell I fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I signed up to the Neo-geo forums since it's the only place with decently price MVS stuff. I've two posts to my name but I still can't access my PM's and can't send any private messages either so I can't deal with people on the trading forums. Does anyone know how the hell I fix this?

Post more? They could be limited to a certain amount to stop people who dont contribute. Bit like boards & thanks

Tell them your a Japanese Schoolgirl. Leave out the cosplay element.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I went on a quest to find that retrogamer magazine at lunch, I failed. Is easons the only place that sell it? I was in 3 different shops and none of them had it, or is it too late to even find it at this stage?

The last magazine i bought i think was called Total or something, back before mario 3 was out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Easons is the only place I've seen it. They usually get a few copies in, even my local out in the sticks gets two issues a month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I went to reids, then a place on dawson street (they had no magazines) then a place in stephens green. The nearest Easons to me is on OConnell street, i might take a wander down there tomorrow.

Post more? They could be limited to a certain amount to stop people who dont contribute. Bit like boards & thanks

The threads are so boring though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The threads are so boring though :(

Just do what I did a few times. Pick threads and give generic comments. Youd be surprised how fast it builds up....
    ....>_>

I just realised that its your boards 10th anniversary this month :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement