Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ah fair enough, I actually like the styling of the US machine and carts (at least they're better suited to stacking!).

Another negative point about that Supaboy, bit trivial this but irritating all the same - the Start and Select buttons are reversed. Start is on the left rather than the right, wtf. :confused:

I actually like them too, not so much the carts but the console has a big tank look to it.

I noticed the button reversal in the vid you embedded too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats the problem I have too. Shipping on average is €40 from the states, add the cost of the console & it really becomes not worth it. I might just wait till I'm over there next.

Actually I think our problem is solved.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/US-NTSC-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-SNES-/260973551799?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3cc33c60b7#ht_950wt_1180

I'd wait till you went to the states. Get one for dirt cheap then. Bring me back one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah fair enough, I actually like the styling of the US machine and carts (at least they're better suited to stacking!).

Another negative point about that Supaboy, bit trivial this but irritating all the same - the Start and Select buttons are reversed. Start is on the left rather than the right, wtf. :confused:

bartvsaustralia_08.jpg

One of these will sort that out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose the need is for a readily available NTSC Snes, one you can pick up easily on Amazon or Ebay for non stupid money, that'll output a decent picture and accept a standard Snes pad/pads.
    I'd buy one of those myself!
    I could live with the non canon hardware once it was compatible with everything, like the difference between the Nomad and the countless nasty Genesis clones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Actually I think our problem is solved.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/US-NTSC-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-SNES-/260973551799?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3cc33c60b7#ht_950wt_1180

I'd wait till you went to the states. Get one for dirt cheap then. Bring me back one too.

Mother of Jebus that's a tad pricey!
    And he says is been on a shelf for 20 or 30 years! Must be one of those ultra rare 1982 Snes consoles! I wonder if he has the first ever NES as well, what a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Doge

Speaking of pricey...

iPad 3 is seducing me.....

and iNever owned an apple product in my iLife.

and iUsually spend more of iTime ranting about apple than praising them....

but...

iMean if the iDisplay was only 1080p I'd still be just as iImpressed...

but look at it, LOOK AT IT....

features_best_display.jpg

It's so iResolutionary,

I don't even know WTF a GUGGENHEIM is, but iWant one of those now too...

God damnit, what is happening to i!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Samsungs new display will have it beaten in a couple months :pac:
    Although the iPad is much better for magazines -_-

Samsungs new display will have it beaten in a couple months :pac:
    Although the iPad is much better for magazines -_-

Tell me more about this new display.

Save me from the wrath that is apple communism!

938417-halp_large.jpg

Only rumours atm but theyre all pointing to an 11.6 inch 2560 x 1600 display

I think I'm going to take one of these tablets instead and ride it out for now....

533875_73941d8ecec34f18783d1d40b38d9d70.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Didn't realise Kid Icarus Uprising was out so soon!

Really looking forward to it I must say. Despite completely pointless free stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Didn't realise Kid Icarus Uprising was out so soon!

Really looking forward to it I must say. Despite completely pointless free stand.

Nothing pointless about free.

They should have given away the circle pad pro with RE Revelations free that would have been nice.:rolleyes:

Will we need the circle pad attachement for KI Uprising?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,660 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

pdbhp wrote: »

They should have given away the circle pad pro with RE Revelations free that would have been nice.:rolleyes:

It was if you preordered it from Zavi a couple of months ago :p

If you don't have it yet then just bite the bullet and give in. It's a must really. A big ugly black lump of must.

Didn't realize Kid Icarus was out so soon either. Pretty great as I've been looking for a new 3DS game to play after finishing RE.

Kid Icarus will be perfectly playable as is but it will play, possibly better, with the circle pad pro pug-ugly device attached...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

@EnterNow: Just spotted a Digital Foundary article over on Eurogamer that compares the Supaboy to some MegaDrive equivalent. Not a hope I'd touch either, the Supaboy doesn't sound great at all. Link here.

@EnterNow: Just spotted a Digital Foundary article over on Eurogamer that compares the Supaboy to some MegaDrive equivalent. Not a hope I'd touch either, the Supaboy doesn't sound great at all. Link here.

Ugh no thanks. That's that idea dismantled. Cheers man

Just had a lucky escape, nearly bought Metal Slug 5 for the PS2, would have cost about 13 posted, not too much until you realise that Metal Slug Anthology goes for similar money and has far more titles, also on the PS2. Both use a Neo Geo emu to run the original code on the PS2 according to Wikipedia. So, the Anthology it is, or at least it will be as soon as I get the credit card bill under control!

Havent really bought game magazines in years. Might read GamesTM in my friends if its lying around but thats really it. Anyway, bought RetroGamer since it was issue 100 and ye were all talking about it. I think I may have found my new monthly magazine. I basically took today off life to read it :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Havent really bought game magazines in years. Might read GamesTM in my friends if its lying around but thats really it. Anyway, bought RetroGamer since it was issue 100 and ye were all talking about it. I think I may have found my new monthly magazine. I basically took today off life to read it :pac:

It's great, the only magazine worth reading on games at the moment. Just finished the David Crane article which was really interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's great, the only magazine worth reading on games at the moment.

Google Translation: Retr0gamerish to English:

'I still retain a bitterness towards the editorial team of Edge because their predecessors had the gall to give Gunstar Heroes a 6 almost two decades ago. I refute the inherent subjectivity of reviews and instead restate accusations of pretentiousness. Vis a vis, concordently'

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Google Translation: Retr0gamerish to English:

'I still retain a bitterness towards the editorial team of Edge because their predecessors had the gall to give Gunstar Heroes a 6 almost two decades ago. I refute the inherent subjectivity of reviews and instead restate accusations of pretentiousness. Vis a vis, concordently'

;)

Edge's recent 10/10 for skyward sword shows their review staff are still utterly useless. They either tear a game apart for its flaws, which I'm all for, or else completely gloss over them for no reason or criticism, Skyward Sword and Halo being good examples.

At least retrogamer gave it an incredibly low 97% :P

Number ratings are the problem with reviews, in Edge and elsewhere. I actually find the Skyward Sword review quite convincing. While I don't agree with all of it, they do tend to refute the points worth refuting. While I'd say there are are few moments of unnecessary repetition, they do counter that with the suggestion that elsewhere the game makes extremely inventive use out of 'revisited' environments (and it does). It's not a perfect review - what is? - but I find little about it to take umbrage with. Their 7 review of Neverdead, however, maybe not ;)

If they removed numbers entirely - which is where the contention usually boils down to (metacritic keyboard warriors rarely complain about the actual words) - it'd do massive favours for the magazine, where their 9 out of 10 times on-the-money reviews could speak for themselves. Indeed, the refusal of almost every single gaming source of note to do away with review scores is a barrier to a more sensible approach to game reviewing. Numbers matter little, words are far more important.

Getting rid of scores is something they tried in one issue, many moons ago and I think it led to some contention, they are clear enough in their scoring, an average game is a 5, a good game is an 8, I figure if a game in a genre I love gets a 7 I would definitely consider it. A 10 is something everyone should own and a 9 is as near perfect as be damned.
    I prefer to read the review articles anyhow, and if you want the perfect reviews just head for Zero Punctuation! The only games he has adored recently were Portal 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum.

It's all reminiscent of the stupid scores given, back in the day, with gameplay, graphics and audio given percentage scores, one game getting 87% in the visuals and another getting 90%, stupid stupid stuff. C&VG, Crash, Zzap I'm looking at you!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's all reminiscent of the stupid scores given, back in the day, with gameplay, graphics and audio given percentage scores, one game getting 87% in the visuals and another getting 90%, stupid stupid stuff. C&VG, Crash, Zzap I'm looking at you!

Just reminds me of playing magazine top trumps years ago with my cousin when they used to have the massive index of games they reviewed and their scores at the back of magazine. We'd each have different publications and have to pick a game you thought your magazine would give a higher score then the other persons :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Number ratings are the problem with reviews, in Edge and elsewhere. I actually find the Skyward Sword review quite convincing. While I don't agree with all of it, they do tend to refute the points worth refuting. While I'd say there are are few moments of unnecessary repetition, they do counter that with the suggestion that elsewhere the game makes extremely inventive use out of 'revisited' environments (and it does). It's not a perfect review - what is? - but I find little about it to take umbrage with. Their 7 review of Neverdead, however, maybe not ;)

If they removed numbers entirely - which is where the contention usually boils down to (metacritic keyboard warriors rarely complain about the actual words) - it'd do massive favours for the magazine, where their 9 out of 10 times on-the-money reviews could speak for themselves. Indeed, the refusal of almost every single gaming source of note to do away with review scores is a barrier to a more sensible approach to game reviewing. Numbers matter little, words are far more important.
    Numeric scores are basically reviews for the 'TLDR' crowd that sadly make up a contingent of games magazine readers (which sometimes makes me wonder why they bother to buy mags at all? possibly to look at the pretty pictures).Personally I think its been downhill since the days of the ZZap64 thumbs based scoring system.

We seem to be in a Metacritic reading society, where a game is decided to be better than another over a matter of 1% , what a load of balls.
    And then the fanboys turn out in their droves saying that somehow a stream of paid off flunkies giving sh1te like Resistance 2 or Killzone 3 a decent mark somehow precludes them from having to read an actual review at all.
    But these are going to be people that aren't likely to venture into the Arcade&Retro forum so I think we're safe from their sort here, unless it's Psikyo, Raizing or Cave fanboys, you know who you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sean+Roberts+in+Brain+Fungus+Cave.JPG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We seem to be in a Metacritic reading society, where a game is decided to be better than another over a matter of 1% , what a load of balls.
    And then the fanboys turn out in their droves saying that somehow a stream of paid off flunkies giving sh1te like Resistance 2 or Killzone 3 a decent mark somehow precludes them from having to read an actual review at all.
    But these are going to be people that aren't likely to venture into the Arcade&Retro forum so I think we're safe from their sort here, unless it's Psikyo, Raizing or Cave fanboys, you know who you are!

I don't know how anyone lets a reviewer decide if they like a game or not. Most blogger/reviewer types are far too interested in being loud & 'funny' to make what they're trying to say worthwhile.

There's not many who I can bear listening to. Retrogamer I do like a lot though, not not

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi8deIGfbd5nItLczULfso0FeIkucuUycJRGKTyw1LqEgjEk6JHw

but

retro_gamer_74.jpg

Sean+Roberts+in+Brain+Fungus+Cave.JPG

Real life Boulder Dash yo'.........?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thinking more of cave fans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement