Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

lasersquad wrote: »
    Hell, lol, what? I`m 39 and what is this?
    Sorry, I don`t really follow the news. I`m still at the stage of being fond of owning the physical. Did they manage to come up with some new diabolical scheme?

Are we back to the arcade model? ;)

Basically with PSN+ you pay a 'subscription' and get access to discounts and free stuff (in fairness, often pretty great free stuff, from Burnout Paradise to Trine 2). However, if you stop subscribing, you no longer own the games (except for the discounted ones you have paid for).

So Trine 2 is free at the moment. If you stop paying at the end of this year, say, you will no longer have access to that copy of Trine 2.

It's probably worth it these days, but I'm just not fond of the model. Especially when it denies me Journey for a few days.
    DinoRex wrote: »
    Holy sh*t... if you created your character in Mass Effect 1 then you can't import it's face into ME3!

How f*cking stupid is that?

Yeah, supposedly. Some glitch. Like honestly, how do you mess up one of the most significant features of the game? Anyway, I'm off to start it now. It'll be a shame to say goodbye to old square chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Had to try my best to recreate my Ron Perlman lookalike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lasersquad

If you pay a "subscription", the stuff`s not free, eh ;) Not for me...still, sounds better than Bill`s deal.

But, how did ME3 managed track me down here? I`m trying to hide from it, is the first part considered retro these days? :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Holy sh*t... if you created your character in Mass Effect 1 then you can't import it's face into ME3!

How f*cking stupid is that?

Are you serious! what a load of ****. I want my emo pale faced female shepard :(

lasersquad wrote: »
    If you pay a "subscription", the stuff`s not free, eh ;) Not for me...still, sounds better than Bill`s deal.

But, how did ME3 managed track me down here? I`m trying to hide from it, is the first part considered retro these days? :/

Oh this one thread is sort of an anything goes jobbie... also I don't like posting elsewhere on the site.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Are you serious! what a load of ****. I want my emo pale faced female shepard :(

Looks like paleness is out the window altogether pretty much... You just have to look like someone of Jersey Shore and like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like paleness is out the window altogether pretty much... You just have to look like someone of Jersey Shore and like it.

Seriously, this really pisses me off, I've become quite attached to my female shepard and made her look like an uncaring hard ass as much as possible and totally succeeded, and now they won't even let me have pale skin so I might even get close to a facsimile of what she looked like before?

Ah well all is forgiven because instead of working that niggle out for the fans that have been with the series from the beginning we have bolted on multiplayer instead.

G10CK.jpg

My next cosplay:

33784_453697370851_553645851_5720198_6321207_n.jpg

Leeloo Dallas Multipass!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My next cosplay:

33784_453697370851_553645851_5720198_6321207_n.jpg
    it's uncanny
    429668_3478840971244_1277863976_3526137_332318326_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Doge

Gum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

waveform wrote: »
    Gum?
    Gum, you should be ashamed for not knowing
    215px-Gumjsr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Doge

lulzerskates

For some reason my comms officer in ME3 sounds uncannily like Ricky Gervais if he was a woman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I managed to recreate my Shepard without much hassle. A pain in the arse, of course, but luckily I seemed to have based him around one of the presets so no biggie!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just beat Phantasy Star 2. A very interesting game, plenty of flaws like the horrible dungeon design and loads of grinding but so far ahead of its time. It makes a pretty decent stab at some social commentary and it actually succeeds surprisingly well. Also despite the simplistic storyline and storytelling it had an absolutely cracking ending. I'd read that it had a surprise ending that was really brave especially for a game from 1989 but I really did not see it coming. Pity some of the gameplay is so archaic. You can really see how final fantasy, especially VII took a lot from the game.

Makes me really want to see a new single player entry in the franchise.

Ah come on lads... a bit of health and safety on the Normandy wouldn't go amiss. How hard would it be to run that cable along the wall?

5GUrQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Would it make sense to buy a Supaboy, instead of buying an NTSC snes? Just looking at the prices here, kinda half tempted. They have video out & joypad ins so it could function as a console aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Advertisement

Some nice thoughts on Sonic 1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Would it make sense to buy a Supaboy, instead of buying an NTSC snes? Just looking at the prices here, kinda half tempted. They have video out & joypad ins so it could function as a console aswell...

Personally I'd probably stick with the original hardware, I'm always a bit skeptical about 3rd party products like this. If you're going to use it mainly as a handheld then how will the build quality hold up? What's that d-pad like to use for any length of time? Is it true there's only a couple of hours battery time when fully charged? Will it be compatible with all your games etc?

Here's an honest enough video about it:

If you're going to use it as a console then can you get RGB out of it. I think we've been spoiled with the Nomad, for handheld Snes fun I'd tend to stick with a DSLite + emu.

Never thought of battery life, that's a killer right there. I'm the same re 3rd party variants, it's just the cost of getting a US snes over here is not very appealing.

How about a Retron 2, killing two birds with one stone. I'd have a 60hz NES in it to boot. It's just can you get RGB outta them, god knows :o

Do I really need a US Snes though? Arrghh its never easy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/130659334230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1180

There's one in the UK.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Too expensive, I'm not after a boxed one or anything. I'd quicker buy an egg yellow one for all the use it'd get. How the seller maintains an NTSC Snes is rare is beyond me also

Too expensive, I'm not after a boxed one or anything. I'd quicker buy an egg yellow one for all the use it'd get. How the seller maintains an NTSC Snes is rare is beyond me also

Way too high a starting bid, he doesn't ship abroad anyway.

What has you yearning for an NTSC one anyway, the US carts are cheaper or something?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Way too high a starting bid, he doesn't ship abroad anyway.

What has you yearning for an NTSC one anyway, the US carts are cheaper or something?

Yeah I've been on ebay a fair bit & noticed the carts tend to be a lot cheaper. Also handy to play 60Hz optimised games that may not have language friendly JAP counterparts. Mostly the potential savings on carts though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Cheapest one I can find. There's an unboxed egg yellow one for nearly over 100
    Can't seem to find any for a price I'm willing to pay and I've been looking for the last three months.
    I'm very cheap when it comes to buying the games and I still havent got over the shock of Earthbound.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Cheapest one I can find. There's an unboxed egg yellow one for nearly over 100
    Can't seem to find any for a price I'm willing to pay and I've been looking for the last three months.

Thats the problem I have too. Shipping on average is €40 from the states, add the cost of the console & it really becomes not worth it. I might just wait till I'm over there next.

• Advertisement

Ah fair enough, I actually like the styling of the US machine and carts (at least they're better suited to stacking!).

Another negative point about that Supaboy, bit trivial this but irritating all the same - the Start and Select buttons are reversed. Start is on the left rather than the right, wtf. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement