Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    Its in pre-production already...Ho Aniki its called apparently

And the Christmas edition (where all the weird bodybuilders and penis men wear santa hats): Ho Ho Ho Aniki!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I totally nerded out last night and spent the guts of an hour improving the midi music on my PC for bosbox games. I got a new midi soundfont and drivers and loaded up System Shock. The improvements were massive. The instruments sound much better and there's a lot more instruments you can't hear it bog standard midi. It's like being back in the 1990's when the wind had to be blowing in the right direction and you needed pixie dust to get game to work. I still remember having to keep reseting my PC so that Wolfenstein would start up with enough Ram for sound effects. I couldn't tell you why it just decided not to work sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I still remember having to keep reseting my PC so that Wolfenstein would start up with enough Ram for sound effects. I couldn't tell you why it just decided not to work sometimes.

And now you can get it on your phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My first ever PC was a second hand pass me down 386 given to us from a family friend.

As it was the family PC, no games were to be installed on it. I had my Megadrive for that as I was told.

One day while browsing directories I found one hidden deep within called Games.

I clicked in, expecting nothing. To my utter shock, there were games in there. Doom, Gabriel Knight and The Incredible Machine.

With glee I went into the Doom folder and tried to figure out how to get the damn thing working.

Eventually it fired up, and I began blowing the crap out of imps.

My mother walked in and gave me an absolute bollocking for not only installing a game on the family computer, but a horrifically violent one at that.

I told her it wasn't me! They were already there!

'My friends who gave you the PC wouldn't be playing games like that'.

Nobody believed me.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Wasn't there a PC in the mid nineties that had a built in Megadrive?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yep! The Amstrad Mega PC. They sell for a decent amount these days. Interesting item.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only megadrive with sexy VGA output as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Pretty sure at least one of my MD1s had a VGA output, think the asian version and my HDG one have them

Pretty sure at least one of my MD1s had a VGA output, think the asian version and my HDG one have them

Hmm, Retrogamer magazine lied to me then!

Master of the Universe

Ye wha?! You mad!

There's no such thing as a Megadrive with a VGA port???

Unless you have some supper sekkret dev version?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Isn't that the weird ext port that they have on the asian version, mine has one.
    Lesser collectors may mistake it for a VGA port or something..

Wretches that they are.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sega Saturn 50/60Hz mod, for the 60Hz lovers - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75769332#post75769332

Sega Saturn Modchip install - for the *** lovers - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75769716#post75769716

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Isn't that the weird ext port that they have on the asian version, mine has one.
    Lesser collectors may mistake it for a VGA port or something..

Wretches that they are.....

Ah thats what that is, I was too lazy to get up and check earlier. For some reason I thought it was blue and mabye a VGA, the wretch that I am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

waveform wrote: »

This was released today:
    http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=103143

Its also included in a c64 cartridge pack with other games,
    which were entered for a cartridge competition:
    http://www.rgcd.co.uk/

And here is the other guys version of the game which was also released today:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=103142

The same guy that did the Prince of Persia Remake

Fecks sake... why is Skyward Sword getting such great reviews?

I've done 3 dungeons so far in it... guess what I get to do next? Do those same dungeons again with slightly different monsters.

DinoRex wrote: »

I've done 3 dungeons so far in it... guess what I get to do next? Do those same dungeons again with slightly different monsters.

Seriously? WTF? did they not learn their lesson with Phantom Hourglass?

Well it's making me repeat the first dungeon... I guessing it will make me repeat the others.

All I'm doing is running around the same rooms but this time digging up holes all over the place to find the keys instead of solving puzzles.

Think I made the right choice to play Vanquish instead today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

is no one else interested in the Secret Santa?
    th_tumblr_lr3f3gxaLz1qzcddz.gif?t=1322755031

Beat that bug stupid butterfly, not too hard tbh.
    Found myself playing MW3, on the Wii with the classic pad, didn't have the patience for the Wii mote, still fun though!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Zelda game in reviewer boner shocker.
    I gave up paying attention to 1st party nintendo game reviews a good while ago cause they're usually just wankfests

It's gotten pretty much universally excellent reviews though.

Motion controls just don't sit well with me, they're just not as responsive as I'd like them to be.

Took me less than 30 minutes to get through the dungeon the second time, it was really just pointless padding making me go through it again.

The motion control works best on the little flying bug thing, it's super handy. The controls work worst on swimming... so frustrating trying to control Link under water.

It's still a great game though. The levels and puzzles are brilliantly designed. It's full of great characters and it has a wonderful sense of humour.... There's just too much irritating me about it though for me to think of it as a perfect Zelda game which is what most reviewers seem to think of it as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Sera wrote: »
    is no one else interested in the Secret Santa

I'd love to, except I've already been thrown in to 9 jillion other Kris 'Amazon' Kindles this year through work etc.

Plus the likelyhood is, one of ye will give me a fighting game instead of a giant 1:1 scale Darius silver hawk made of lego and steaming, poisonous magma!

Talking of steaming, poisonous magma, I'd settle for a slice of that Fukushima cake from the last beers. :D

EDIT: @EnterNow: THAT, SIR, is a FINE game. One of my favourites for the SNES and I bloody HATE fighting games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think I made the right choice to play Vanquish instead today.

I have the limited editon version of that, still sealed. I loved the demo on OXBM, bought the game and never got round to playing it. :(

Bungie have released the 3 marathon games on their site for free. They've been available for free for ages now but these are new remastered versions with the graphics cleaned up. Worth a go if you are interested in Bungie, there's a lot of Halo's DNA in here. Mac users will say they are much better than Doom or anything on the PC at the time forgetting that System Shock was released 3 months before hand and did everything Marathon did except more and better. I also think Doom is a far better game and feel Marathon isn't all that great, although the sequels do get better. However it's multiplayer was ahead of it's time, many of its deathmatch modes being incorporated into other games. Still it's worth a dabble, but could never bring myself to finish any of them. It's got a pretty good story as well, the only problem with that is the poor delivery, system shocks audio files, as seen in Bioshock, were a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

It's gotten pretty much universally excellent reviews though.

Motion controls just don't sit well with me, they're just not as responsive as I'd like them to be.

Took me less than 30 minutes to get through the dungeon the second time, it was really just pointless padding making me go through it again.

The motion control works best on the little flying bug thing, it's super handy. The controls work worst on swimming... so frustrating trying to control Link under water.

It's still a great game though. The levels and puzzles are brilliantly designed. It's full of great characters and it has a wonderful sense of humour.... There's just too much irritating me about it though for me to think of it as a perfect Zelda game which is what most reviewers seem to think of it as.

You only have to revisit Skyview Temple, the rest of that section consists of completely new dungeons, which are really good!

I agree with the motion controls bit though, they're nice most of the time but there are times when I'd just like to plug in a GC pad and use the right stick for sword stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement