Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

tumblr_lvc17riHy21r4k4vno1_500.gif?t=1322427110

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

VfMMx.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hey!
    That guy looks like... looks like... Gordon Freeman!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    There really aren't that many at all. Between The Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi on the PS2, all you really have is Shinobi III on the Megadrive and Shinobi X on the Saturn.

III is fantastic and almost as good as The Revenge. Still haven't played X yet.

Wikipedia lists 12 in total:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinobi_(series)

3.1 Shinobi (1987)
    3.2 Shadow Dancer (1989, 1991)
    3.3 The Revenge of Shinobi (1989)
    3.4 Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (1990)
    3.5 The Cyber Shinobi (1990)
    3.6 Shinobi (1991)
    3.7 Shinobi 2: The Silent Fury (1992)
    3.8 Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (1993)
    3.9 Shinobi Legions (1995)
    3.10 Shinobi (2002)
    3.11 Nightshade (2003)
    3.12 Shinobi (2011)

I never would have thought of Shadow Dancer as a Shinobi sequel, but they all seem to be made by the same company more or less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shadow Dancer is 100% a Shinobi game.

Just beat Dark Souls. Guess I'm as amazing as I always knew I was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yay retr0!

Ima have to pick that up soon. I quite like demons souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Shadow Dancer is 100% a Shinobi game.

Just beat Dark Souls. Guess I'm as amazing as I always knew I was.

I think I've confused it for Shadow Warriors, which was on the c64 and had totally different mechanics!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well Shadow Dance in the Arcade and on the MD are both completly different games but both have the same mechanics, which is different to the rest of the 2D games

On a seperate note, watch this and wait for 1:15, so many people I know are just ruined

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/streets-of-talking-classics/720535

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Didn't Shadow Dancer see a release on the C64? What was that other ninja-ey game with yer wan in black who walked about and things?

That was on the C64 too.

I think she had a bike too or something along those lines. I had the demo of it on a CF PowerPak and I thought it was absolute trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I have this game got it in a bundle of stuff. It's a sample cart from konami a famicom game. Anyone know what those are worth if anything?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Didn't Shadow Dancer see a release on the C64? What was that other ninja-ey game with yer wan in black who walked about and things?

That was on the C64 too.

I think she had a bike too or something along those lines. I had the demo of it on a CF PowerPak and I thought it was absolute trousers.

It was a very late release, I read a review of it in Commodore Format and I had a C64 when everyone else had a SNES or MD. Supposedly it was a rather good conversion as well.

Aye. At least it wasn't that one with yer wan in it.

US Gold did Shadow Dancer for the C64 did they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

waveform wrote: »
    Wikipedia lists 12 in total:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinobi_(series)

3.1 Shinobi (1987)
    3.2 Shadow Dancer (1989, 1991)
    3.3 The Revenge of Shinobi (1989)
    3.4 Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (1990)
    3.6 Shinobi (1991)
    3.10 Shinobi (2002)
    3.11 Nightshade (2003)
    3.12 Shinobi (2011)

I never would have thought of Shadow Dancer as a Shinobi sequel, but they all seem to be made by the same company more or less.

Ah, but the comment was 'Between The Revenge and Shinobi and Shinobi on the PS2'

Which leaves you with this -

3.4 Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
    3.6 Shinobi (1991)

I always forget about Shadow Dancer, it's a great game. The others are just Master System ports and Gamegear games. I wouldn't call them cannon until you get up to Shinobi III.

Well done Retr0 on beating Dark Souls. How many hours did it take you in the end?

Pyongyang wrote: »

That was on the C64 too.

Think that's Saboteur 2, you're a guy in the first one.

I always had a soft spot for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

For Retr0 go on treat yourself to a nice Christmas present

DinoRex wrote: »

I always had a soft spot for it anyway.

Ugh! THAT is the game! Bleurrrgggghhhhh! I'd rather walk around Henry Street in the nip letting aul wans fire a crossbow at my bare arse than play that game.

What an absolute pile of old man's trouser custard that game is. :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well done Retr0 on beating Dark Souls. How many hours did it take you in the end?

I'll check when I get home. Think it might be 70+.

By the way the Game Gear Shinobi games are amazing, don't dismiss them!
    For Retr0 go on treat yourself to a nice Christmas present

Ah yes, the obsession with giving away cheap tacky busts with every special edition of a game. Displaying these in your bedroom will ensure you'll never contract an STD true the fact that you'll never be given the chance to contract one. The worst one was the Halo Reach one, it looks like a few generic chinese knock off toys. Tackiness at it's finest:

HR_LEGENDARY_STATUE.jpg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Cheap tacky busts

SNN10TV2V-280_1122825a.jpg

I'm just one of those people who has a soft spot for old Durell games.

Loved Thanatos as well:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That was one of my favourites as well!
    Turbo Esprit was brilliant as was the chopper game Combat Lynx...
    Ah, the sweet musty smell of nostalgia...
    Must get some TLL going on now....

• Advertisement

Hmm, I've actually only clocked up 53 hours in Dark Souls.

Also two things I noticed from listening to Roleplayers Realm podcast on the way home:

1. Julian Rignall is now working for Gamepro. Awesome, the guy is a legend in UK games journalism.

2. I'm not crazy. Legend of Dragoon and it's awfulness has now become a running joke on Roleplayers Realm. It's not just me and nobody knows their RPGs better than Kat Bailey and Bob Mackey.

Finished the 3rd dungeon in Zelda last night.

Wasn't so crazy about that one... lot of the monsters were pretty frustrating to fight with the control system.

I've been reading reviews and I'm beginning to think that either I'm completely mad in hating the controls or I have a dodgey controller... may try my old Wii Motion Plus later... oh... I wonder what would happen if I plugged the motion plus add on into the zelda controller with it's integrated motion pluss...

I heard that Doctor Who powers the Tardis with such a contraption.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ugh, collectibles. Retro platformers have a lot to answer for - looking at Rare particularly.

Donkey Kong 64!
    So many things to keep juggling in the noggin while thinking of loads of different controls for characters and tons of levels, I found the whole thing massive, impressive but a mess.
    Not at all as tight as Jet Force Gemini or BlastCorp.
    Even the first Banjo game was far better, the second one suffered from that gods-awful collectible thang, in fact I seem to remember countless little pop ups for the first hour telling you what each different one was for....

They seemed to be a better developer on the Nes, and dare I say it, in the earlier days, on the Speccy, as Ultimate (Play the game), at least with Alien8, Knight Lore, Sabre Wulf and Atic Attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd rather a game just features a handful of worthwhile optional diversions that provide actual gameplay rewards than a crazy amount of worthless trinkets. Assassins Creed sequels feature both - the excellent extra dungeons, and the utterly pointless flags.

Arkham City is proving a nightmare. Why don't I just ignore them, you ask? Well some of the game's best, most fiendish sub-missions - Riddler Hostages - require a certain amount of challenges to be complete. Some of these are skill based, but most involve collecting those endless frickin' trophies. There are four hundred challenges in the game. I'm at 220 - mostly ones I've stumbled across, but maybe around an hour of actively looking for them. The fourth of sixth hostage missions isn't even unlocked yet :(

Time commitment does not equate to depth. Boo-urns to the otherwise excellent Rocksteady for such stupidity.

And I'm not best fond of the audio logs that seem to have gained newfound popularity since BioShock. Rapture was interesting enough to just about pull it off. Other settings, frankly, are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haven't gone near Arkham City yet, but any collectable I came across in Assylum was by chance. I didn't look out for any at all. Waste of time and an irritating way of dragging a game out.

Didn't really bother with the audio logs at all in that either.

I only really like audio logs when they are used to give you that sense of doom. '****, something really bad happened here'. (Fallout 3 for example) Anything other than that and they tend to get ignored.

Donkey Kong 64 is a mediocre platformer made into a terrible game by the absolutely ridiculous amount of collectibles.

XvjGM.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah for **** sake Halo Reach. You were going so well. A few Cheesey lines her and there and some deaths that fail to be emotional, one is the most bromantic thing I've seen since the MGS2 handshake, but otherwise you were doing alright.

Then you go and retcon the series. Namely Cortana. In the first game she's a human AI. In this she's either a forerunner AI or else an AI with vast amounts of forerunner information.

So no instead of Cortana being a clueless human AI she is something akin to Irvine in FF8.

'Remember that evil witch we were sent to assassinate, well she's your bosses wife, she brought you all up in an orphanage when you were younger and you all forgot this due to some Deus Ex machina. I knew this but didn't think it was useful information.'

Now Cortana in Halo 1 is like:

'Yes I knew all about the Halo ring, it's incredible destructive power and the fact that it contained a horrible alien parasite that could threaten the world, but I didn't think it was important to tell you so played dumb.'

Even at it's most simplest it she now knows the location of the Halo in the first game yet the game clearly states they made a blind jump to that location.

Lazy, lazy, shoddy writing Bungie.

At least the game is still enjoyable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement