Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Saturn Modchip Installation

Options
  • 01-12-2011 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

The usual modchip functions are given by this, you'll be able to use cd-r's on your Saturn for example. In the Saturn's case though, it will not allow games of any region to be played...that requires either a seperate mod, or an Action Replay 4-in-1 cart.

The Saturn under the shell. What the idea is, is that we disconnect the ribbon cable coming out of the cd-rom drive & into the motherboard, from the motherboard end. That cable then plugs into the modchip, which in turn gets plugged into the motherboard. So it's working like a pass-thru for the cd-rom signals, & modifies them accordingly.

ohn1ir.jpg

The mod-chip, you can see where the ribbon cable plugs in, also there are two wires - one for power, one for signal

351wi15.jpg

Ribbon cable removed from motherboard, & inserted into the chip

vz9c7t.jpg

Chip now inserted into where the ribbon cable originally was. It's a tight fit, & you need to be careful not to flex the chip etc. It should push home all the way though

2drgpp4.jpg

The red wire is for providing power to the chip, so 5v goes to that. That comes from pin 4 of a 5 pin power block

307vy4j.jpg

The blue signal wire can go to either pin 14 of the drive board ic (32 pin) (this is the old way, & is tried & tested), or you can mod the mod-chip with a small solder bridge which works for some...I find it hit & miss though so I stick with soldering straight to the drive chip

nxl6rp.jpg

Reassemble, & what do ya know...it works :)

jkvvxg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Thanks for this guide. I've just ordered an action replay and am looking online for one of these modchips at the moment... Can I ask where you bought yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thanks for this guide. I've just ordered an action replay and am looking online for one of these modchips at the moment... Can I ask where you bought yours?

I got that one from Racketboy, pricey though, but a more compatable chip. Some of the cheaper chips can be hit n miss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Nice clear guide - now Ciderman will know what is actually inside his Saturn though I don't think he takes advantage of it

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

EnterNow wrote: »
    I got that one from Racketboy, pricey though, but a more compatable chip. Some of the cheaper chips can be hit n miss :)

Took your advice and ordered one from racketboy just now. thanks!

Advertisement