Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic/chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Fysh wrote: »
    Hmmm. Sounds like you've got us confused with the Beer Guts & Receding Hairlines forum. I will admit to some interest in knowing more of the school of thought that views culture & history as some of the lighter and less brain-intensive subjects ;)

(That being said, applying the scientific method to the contents of my pants has verified that I am, at least at a chromosomal level, a man. What that says for either me in particular or the gender as a whole remains to be seen....)

I have often wondered why English ladies were attracted to me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have often wondered why English ladies were attracted to me.

Oh, I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself there - between your evident dazzling wit and ability to communicate I can see many reasons they might have been attracted to you, at least as a source of entertainment (though, sadly, I would imagine primarily of the "laughing at" rather than "laughing with" variety).

I would strongly suggest that you toddle off towards After Hours based on your contributions to the thread so far - you've let us down, you've let the local ASBO fox down, but worst of all, you've let yourself down.

Oh, I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself there - between your evident dazzling wit and ability to communicate I can see many reasons they might have been attracted to you, at least as a source of entertainment (though, sadly, I would imagine primarily of the "laughing at" rather than "laughing with" variety).

I would strongly suggest that you toddle off towards After Hours based on your contributions to the thread so far - you've let us down, you've let the local ASBO fox down, but worst of all, you've let yourself down.

Editing my post the way you did says a lot more about you than it does about me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Right, let's get things back on track.

Did anyone else get outside to enjoy the weather today? I'm hoping we'll have a reasonably nice September in terms of weather (given that the last couple of years have had crappy August weather and decentish Septembers) but I went for a cycle up to Hampstead Heath today and there was a real "last day of summer" atmosphere around the place. I bet the ice cream vans did well out of it though, I saw 3 of them within 200m on the same stretch of road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Went out to Victoria Park nearish Hackney Wick station today. Lovely weather. It's really good that there is so much green space around.

If the weather holds up tomorrow I might pop out to Speakers Corner in Hyde Park for a while in the morning before going to church in the evening.

• Advertisement

philologos wrote: »
    Went out to Victoria Park nearish Hackney Wick station today. Lovely weather. It's really good that there is so much green space around.

If the weather holds up tomorrow I might pop out to Speakers Corner in Hyde Park for a while in the morning before going to church in the evening.

I couldn't agree more, it's probably my favourite thing about London. I can't believe that I've got more open green space and parks near me since I moved here than I did when I lived in Cork, it's a bit mad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I wandered out to get a beach towel for my holiday with no success. Did a bit of grocery shopping and came home. I'm wrecked though!

Going to have to take a trip into town tomorrow to get that damn towel :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I wandered out to get a beach towel for my holiday with no success.

Penneys! For a whole lot of things for Christmas...and a towel for your holiday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Nice pub out by us called the Red Lion, finally got around to having a proper drink there after a quick on a few weeks back. lovely spot

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Penneys! For a whole lot of things for Christmas...and a towel for your holiday :D

I went to the one on Kilburn High Road yesterday and came away empty handed cos that one's a bit rubbish. Today I took a deep breath and braved the crowds of the one on Oxford St. No beach towel, but got an extra large bath towel which is close enough!

Also got some flat sandals for 3 quid :D

• Advertisement

Went out to Speakers Corner for around 12ish, stayed about an hour. There was a Muslim imam on one side arguing against Christianity, there were two Christians on the other side arguing against Islam in a rather convoluted manner, then there was a horribly racist woman arguing that foreigners didn't belong in the UK and were "traitors".

Later in the evening I went to church and met a few new people. Back to work tomorrow.

What did the rest of ye get up to?

What did the rest of ye get up to?

I completed a fresh install of Fedora 15 after buggering my old one somehow, ate delicious burgers, contemplated making chocolate & beetroot muffins & am just back from watching The Skin I Live In. All in all a nice lazy Sunday... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Sitting down for a few cans with my Welsh housemate to watch the match. Hopefully England get hammered!! :D (Though not likely!)

Had a busy day at work. Caught the end of the England match when I got home and have pretty much finished packing for my holiday.

The single most worthwhile thing I did yesterday was carry home a big box of Belgian beer. Huzzah for Beers of Europe!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It officially feels like autumn. I usually spend my lunch breaks outside, and for the first time in ages I wished I had a jacket with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I love apple I went in today to a genius bar to get a quote on fixing my Ipad screen ( which my dog knocked off the couch) to be told it would cost £249 to fix :( I nearly cried.. But then the chap did something remarkable he said 'wait right there' and disapeared into the back and came back with a box I filled out all my info thinking he was just sending me a quote or something by email then opens the box to a new ipad and hands it to me. They gave me a brand new ipad in exchange for my broken one! This one is unlocked too :D

Well chuffed :)

afatbollix wrote: »
    I love apple I went in today to a genius bar to get a quote on fixing my Ipad screen ( which my dog knocked off the couch) to be told it would cost £249 to fix :( I nearly cried.. But then the chap did something remarkable he said 'wait right there' and disapeared into the back and came back with a box I filled out all my info thinking he was just sending me a quote or something by email then opens the box to a new ipad and hands it to me. They gave me a brand new ipad in exchange for my broken one! This one is unlocked too :D

Well chuffed :)

Ooohhh..how lucky! Luckier still if you were pulling the old "wooden ipad" switcheroo :)

This weekend was quiet enough for me. Went for a walk from Leytonstone via Epping Forest to Walthamstow on Saturday. Today I popped out to Speakers Corner in the morning which is always interesting but only tolerable for so long. Went out by Embankment and Westminster to see a little of the stands out for the Thames Festival and then went to church for 4pm.

What about ye?

What about ye?

Had a bit of a baking disaster with my 1st attempt at sourdough cinnamon rolls - the result falls into the category of ugly but delicious (which is better than the alternative imo). Apart from that, made & ate delicious (and non ugly) quesedillas, saw Troll Hunter & didn't see The Guard as planned cos I'm a lazy sod :)

<3 lazy weekends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

Had a bit of a baking disaster with my 1st attempt at sourdough cinnamon rolls - the result falls into the category of ugly but delicious (which is better than the alternative imo). Apart from that, made & ate delicious (and non ugly) quesedillas, saw Troll Hunter & didn't see The Guard as planned cos I'm a lazy sod :)

<3 lazy weekends

Was Troll Hunter good? I'm going to see it tonight, I saw the guard last week..it was alright, but I was expecting something bloody amazing after all the great reviews

Dr.Giggles wrote: »
    Was Troll Hunter good? I'm going to see it tonight, I saw the guard last week..it was alright, but I was expecting something bloody amazing after all the great reviews

I thought it was pretty damn good alright, but then I thought most films out over the summer were pretty cack so I might be prejudiced. It stands alongside The Tunnel as proof that the found footage concept can be used to make a damn good film in the right hands.

(Of course, it helps that one of the central characters looks a lot like a cranky acquaintance of mine from Cork...)

I thought it was pretty damn good alright, but then I thought most films out over the summer were pretty cack so I might be prejudiced. It stands alongside The Tunnel as proof that the found footage concept can be used to make a damn good film in the right hands.

(Of course, it helps that one of the central characters looks a lot like a cranky acquaintance of mine from Cork...)

This is worse than us finishing each other's sentences...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

finally moved into a place of my own at last, Oficially living in london!

sorry this has nothing to do with what ye are talking about, but jus had to put it out there!!.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Mc Kenzie wrote: »

sorry this has nothing to do with what ye are talking about, but jus had to put it out there!!.:)

That's great news Mc Kenzie!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

Troll Hunter was bloody fantastic! cannot recommend it enough!

Fabulous news Mckenzie!

Mc Kenzie wrote: »

Is accommodation expensive in London these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Is accommodation expensive in London these days?

Was it ever cheap

Was it ever cheap

Just wondering if prices have taken a dip,thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Just wondering if prices have taken a dip,thats all.

gumtree.com is good for rent prices in general around london

Advertisement