Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

DesertMoon wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you help with my lens problem please?

Make: Nikon

Item: Kit Lens 18-55mm Nikkor AF

Model: D40

Fault: The lens will not focus, and when looking through the viewfinder everything is quite dark, also there is a rainbow "flower" design. Also the lens is stuck in the one position ie it will not zoom in and out. It is not a camera fault as I tried on my friend's lens and all works ok, so it must be a lens fault.

When/how it happened:
    I have no idea. It was not dropped or anything. One day it was working (used on a daily basis), and the next this problem occurred.

I would appreciate any help as I have no other lens for my camera, and as I said I use it daily.

Thanks

I've seen this happen before with the 18-55mm on Nikons as the lugs can bend causing a jam which as a side result can jam the aperture lever (resulting in no focus due to too little light entering the camera).

If this is the case it's a small enough fault.
    If you would like to PM I can give you more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derek897

Are you using this with an adapter or on a pentax body?

Hi I am using it on a pentax k5. The rest of my lens are fine. No focusing issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DesertMoon

Thanks PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SARAHCA

Item: DSLR kit lens 18-55mm

Model: D3200

Fault: Loose lens

When/how it happened:

Volunteered with children overseas this summer. I let the older ones use my DSLR to take some pics on one or two occasions, but the younger ones would always try to grab the camera. They were obviously grabbing it by the lens and now the lens is loose (the part that zooms in and out). When i am taking a photo now, the camera wont focus unless I am holding the lens in place! Any ideas where I can get it fixed? Cheaply if at all possible!!

SARAHCA wrote: »

Item: DSLR kit lens 18-55mm

Model: D3200

Fault: Loose lens

When/how it happened:

Volunteered with children overseas this summer. I let the older ones use my DSLR to take some pics on one or two occasions, but the younger ones would always try to grab the camera. They were obviously grabbing it by the lens and now the lens is loose (the part that zooms in and out). When i am taking a photo now, the camera wont focus unless I am holding the lens in place! Any ideas where I can get it fixed? Cheaply if at all possible!!

When you say hold in place do you mean pulling the rear of the lens toward the camera or holding the front steady?

Where abouts are you based? I'm in Delgany, Co. Wicklow if you are nearby and I could take a quick look for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hi I have a couple of issues (:-)
    Hopefully you can sort them out. I'll post them seperately if that's OK?

Item: Digital SLR

Model: D70s

Fault: Unremoveable mark or scratch on sensor

When/how it happened: I noticed it a year or so ago when I viewed some images and the problem was quite apparent on areas of the sky. It's like a hair that's stuck on to the sensor rather than a scratch really. I have tried using a swab vigorously on it but I can't seem to budge it. It's not my primary camera as I have the Nikon D 5100 but a spare body would be more than useful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi I have a couple of issues (:-)
    Hopefully you can sort them out. I'll post them seperately if that's OK?

Item: Digital SLR

Model: D70s

Fault: Unremoveable mark or scratch on sensor

When/how it happened: I noticed it a year or so ago when I viewed some images and the problem was quite apparent on areas of the sky. It's like a hair that's stuck on to the sensor rather than a scratch really. I have tried using a swab vigorously on it but I can't seem to budge it. It's not my primary camera as I have the Nikon D 5100 but a spare body would be more than useful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    It sounds just as you say it is, a scratch of some sort as they can look like a hair on the sensor but if you you want to PM me I can give you my email so you can send me an example shot with the mark and I could probably tell you more.
    Also can give you details on the Fungus removal too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ZH, have you ever worked on electronics issues on olympus OM cameras?
    i have an OM4Ti which is very glitchy, and is basically dead in the water now; very occasionally, it will register that the batteries are there, but it's usually dead, and 'chirps' when i insert or remove batteries - which it should not do. i'm hoping it's just a loose connection in the battery compartment.

also, i have several lenses with fungus appearing in them, and i've a hasselblad 500cm with a jamming issue i've mentioned before and done nothing about - not related to the body/lens miscommunication, but it locks up often after firing a shot, and won't allow me to wind on. usually sorts itself within a minute or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Robbieeile

Make: Canon

Item: DSLR main body

Model: EOS 7D

Fault: Camera wont power on nada zip nothing no error message blank everything

When/how it happened:

Went to download pics from camera to computer via USB and camera never powered on
    Never dropped or got wet this has been treated like a baby battery fully charged

I have tried a different SD card and battery and rebooting without lens, with no success.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

ZH, have you ever worked on electronics issues on olympus OM cameras?
    i have an OM4Ti which is very glitchy, and is basically dead in the water now; very occasionally, it will register that the batteries are there, but it's usually dead, and 'chirps' when i insert or remove batteries - which it should not do. i'm hoping it's just a loose connection in the battery compartment.

also, i have several lenses with fungus appearing in them, and i've a hasselblad 500cm with a jamming issue i've mentioned before and done nothing about - not related to the body/lens miscommunication, but it locks up often after firing a shot, and won't allow me to wind on. usually sorts itself within a minute or two.

I haven't worked on many OM series cameras (mainly DSLRs and Lenses from film and digital).

Not sure if you got my previous reply as I had replied quite late

"I haven't worked on any OM4Ti models but I have read that depending on what batteries you are using in them it can cause problems as more power is drawn during that part of the shutter/mirror cycle which can cause that behaviour so if you haven't already then try a different type of batteries as that may solve your problem.

Chirping noise can be indicative of the battery being low also so if they are new batteries then check that there is no corrosion on the contacts."

Had you tried any of that at all?

• Advertisement

Robbieeile wrote: »

Item: DSLR main body

Model: EOS 7D

Fault: Camera wont power on nada zip nothing no error message blank everything

When/how it happened:

Went to download pics from camera to computer via USB and camera never powered on
    Never dropped or got wet this has been treated like a baby battery fully charged

I have tried a different SD card and battery and rebooting without lens, with no success.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

This sounds like the power board is dead and is a fairly common problem in the 7D.
    It can be caused by a loose screw so try not to rattle it around or it may do more damage and also needs to be found during repair too or it would happen again.

It would have happened from the vibration of the shutter and mirror over a few years depending on usage and can be remedied during repair so that it never happens again.

If you would like to PM me I can give you more details and would be happy to have a look for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Item: Kit Lens

Model: EF 28-90mm

Fault: Err 01.

When/how it happened:

The lens wouldn't work for me some times on holiday, on an EOS 3000v. It didn't give much in the way of error messages. A few years later, sticking it on an EOC 1000D gave error 01. I've tried cleaning the contacts, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Finally noticed last week that it shoots ok at lower F numbered apatures.

Is it possible to fix this cheaply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ronlyn

Item: Telephoto Lens

Model: 70 - 200 F/4 L USM Lens

Fault: Auto Focus not working. Works perfect in manual mode when in autofocus nothing happens when focusing. I can focus manually in auto focus and the red light will beep when focused and can shoot normally (as in manual mode) but no response from the auto focus at all.

When/how it happened:
    Not sure, bought second hand.

Any thoughts or options at all would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Make: Canon 450 D

Item: Lenses

Model: 50mm std, 28-55 zoom, 70-300 zoom

Fault: The camera was bought 2001 I think. It works fine apart from a spot on the mirror or viewfinder, but I notice some flare in pictures and the lenses look dusty or the coating is smeared. I've use a clean hanky but I think some dust is inside. Not keen to try myself, any suggestions for a fair cleaner?

We're in Gorey but are often in southside Dublin so anything from D2 down is preferred for a drop in.

TIA
    Patrick

McGaggs wrote: »

Item: Kit Lens

Model: EF 28-90mm

Fault: Err 01.

When/how it happened:

The lens wouldn't work for me some times on holiday, on an EOS 3000v. It didn't give much in the way of error messages. A few years later, sticking it on an EOC 1000D gave error 01. I've tried cleaning the contacts, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Finally noticed last week that it shoots ok at lower F numbered apatures.

Is it possible to fix this cheaply?

Thanks for posting.
    Sounds like a problem with the diaphragm in the lens.
    Does the DOF preview botton yield any results when the lens is set any lower than wide open on Aperture priority or Manual mode?
    PM me for more details if you would like.

ronlyn wrote: »

Item: Telephoto Lens

Model: 70 - 200 F/4 L USM Lens

Fault: Auto Focus not working. Works perfect in manual mode when in autofocus nothing happens when focusing. I can focus manually in auto focus and the red light will beep when focused and can shoot normally (as in manual mode) but no response from the auto focus at all.

When/how it happened:
    Not sure, bought second hand.

Any thoughts or options at all would be appreciated.
    It sounds like there is something wrong with the USM motor or mechanism either having burnt out/dirty or jammed.

I would have to take a look at it to determine the fault but if you would like to PM me I can give you details.

Sysmod wrote: »
    Make: Canon 450 D

Item: Lenses

Model: 50mm std, 28-55 zoom, 70-300 zoom

Fault: The camera was bought 2001 I think. It works fine apart from a spot on the mirror or viewfinder, but I notice some flare in pictures and the lenses look dusty or the coating is smeared. I've use a clean hanky but I think some dust is inside. Not keen to try myself, any suggestions for a fair cleaner?

We're in Gorey but are often in southside Dublin so anything from D2 down is preferred for a drop in.

TIA
    Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

For cleaning lenses I either use Eclipse or Isopropyl alcohol.
    Tissue isn't very effective for cleaning dirt or smudges unfortunately on lenses and also spreads or leaves a lot of dust due to small fibres breaking from the tissue.
    Best to use a lint free type of cloth or pad for cleaning (I use PEC pads).

I'd be happy to take a look at it for you if you would like to PM me?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JesterWX58

Make: (Olympus)

Item: (DSLR camera)

Model: (E-410)

Fault: When powered on the control panel screen appears but none of the function buttons seem to work.

When/how it happened:

The camera hadn't been used in some weeks, maybe even months, when I went to use it this weekend and noticed the problem.

JesterWX58 wrote: »
    Make: (Olympus)

Item: (DSLR camera)

Model: (E-410)

Fault: When powered on the control panel screen appears but none of the function buttons seem to work.

When/how it happened:

The camera hadn't been used in some weeks, maybe even months, when I went to use it this weekend and noticed the problem.

When you say none of the function buttons work does that include the shutter release etc... or just the buttons that are around the control panel?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JesterWX58

When you say none of the function buttons work does that include the shutter release etc... or just the buttons that are around the control panel?

Cheers.

Yes, it's just the function buttons. The shutter release works and I've checked, it takes pictures. The light meter appears to be working as I can see the shutter speed and f-stop values vary as I pan the camera.

So it's just the buttons such as the Menu Info review OK etc.

Also the dial for the Auto and other settings does not change the values on the panel while powered on but if I change the dial, e.g. from Auto to P, while powered off, when I power on again, the value has changed on the view panel.

Finally, when I do use the shutter release to take a picture, the LCD screen goes blank and the eye-ball viewfinder works. I can take several shots this way but I cannot get the control screen back to change any settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Thanks for posting.
    Sounds like a problem with the diaphragm in the lens.
    Does the DOF preview botton yield any results when the lens is set any lower than wide open on Aperture priority or Manual mode?
    PM me for more details if you would like.

Thanks.

The DOF preview button isn't doing anything. The error is coming when I try to take a picture fron F5.0 and higher. Lower than that is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hiddenkarl

Item: CF Pin Connectors

Model: EOS 50D

Fault: Camera refuses to acknowledge memory cards

When/how it happened:

Bought secondhand camera with secondhand card, card worked fine but was only 2gb, bought 4gb Sandisk and put into camera when I got home,
    'warning, card not formatted, please format memory card', well okay mister camera I'll do that now, *goes to format memory card screen*
    'warning, cannot format. change card', *goes back to original card, same problem* Well ****....

(Looked inside card port, I can't see any apparent damage but it's awfully shiny inside meaning I can't really see,
    I've seen the connector pins on their own on eBay for about €15? I'm a student in Waterford (from Dublin) doing
    Graphic Design and apparently Photography now for the past month.)

(I've also downloaded the latest firmware but I can't get it onto the camera without memory card :D, someone told me
    to try using a card reader to format but I don't have one and it's a weekend so the college is closed)

What I need to know is;

What's wrong?
    Why is it wrong?
    Who do I kill?
    How much to fix?
    Where to fix that's within Leinster?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Item: Lens

Model: 24-70L

Fault: I (stupidly) let it roll off a seat onto the floor while changing lenses. Looks like the mount took the brunt of it and it won't fully couple to the camera due to tightness. I think I can see a small bend in one of the bayonet flanges.

EDIT: Image attached:
    C8DC7CF3E53E46F9BFF26AE7274DA796-0000316742-0003403965-00800L-01FEBDBD7F244E9EB9F1AD7BA5070E54.jpg

JesterWX58 wrote: »
    Yes, it's just the function buttons. The shutter release works and I've checked, it takes pictures. The light meter appears to be working as I can see the shutter speed and f-stop values vary as I pan the camera.

So it's just the buttons such as the Menu Info review OK etc.

Also the dial for the Auto and other settings does not change the values on the panel while powered on but if I change the dial, e.g. from Auto to P, while powered off, when I power on again, the value has changed on the view panel.

Finally, when I do use the shutter release to take a picture, the LCD screen goes blank and the eye-ball viewfinder works. I can take several shots this way but I cannot get the control screen back to change any settings.

Sounds like an odd one there. (possible connection loose although the shutter button behaviour is odd in that case).
    How does the shutter button feel? (spongy or lacking a the half press for focus) as this can usually cause similar behaviour in Canon models due to the metering and AF being activated.

I'm currently on holidays but when I am back I will do a bit opf research and get back to you about the fault.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Thanks.

The DOF preview button isn't doing anything. The error is coming when I try to take a picture fron F5.0 and higher. Lower than that is working fine.

That's a diaphragm failure, basically if you try to stop the diaphragm down the camera detects it isn't working and causes the error but if you simply take the photo wide open it works.

hiddenkarl wrote: »

Item: CF Pin Connectors

Model: EOS 50D

Fault: Camera refuses to acknowledge memory cards

When/how it happened:

Bought secondhand camera with secondhand card, card worked fine but was only 2gb, bought 4gb Sandisk and put into camera when I got home,
    'warning, card not formatted, please format memory card', well okay mister camera I'll do that now, *goes to format memory card screen*
    'warning, cannot format. change card', *goes back to original card, same problem* Well ****....

(Looked inside card port, I can't see any apparent damage but it's awfully shiny inside meaning I can't really see,
    I've seen the connector pins on their own on eBay for about €15? I'm a student in Waterford (from Dublin) doing
    Graphic Design and apparently Photography now for the past month.)

(I've also downloaded the latest firmware but I can't get it onto the camera without memory card :D, someone told me
    to try using a card reader to format but I don't have one and it's a weekend so the college is closed)

What I need to know is;

What's wrong?
    Why is it wrong?
    Who do I kill?
    How much to fix?
    Where to fix that's within Leinster?
    #
    It sounds like one of the pins is damaged which could have happened when you put the 4gb card in the reader if it was slightly bent already or there was debris in the socket of the card (it can happen quite easily actually).

As for who to kill: Canon's design team for not putting the assembly on a seperate board like the other half of the models out there.
    This makes it much harder to replace when it's soldered to the main board and can also damage the main board if the pin got pushed in which is pretty bad bad design in my opinion).

I do repairs so if you would like to PM me I can give you more details?
    (sorry for the late reply, I am currently on holidays).

5uspect wrote: »

Item: Lens

Model: 24-70L

Fault: I (stupidly) let it roll off a seat onto the floor while changing lenses. Looks like the mount took the brunt of it and it won't fully couple to the camera due to tightness. I think I can see a small bend in one of the bayonet flanges.

EDIT: Image attached:
    C8DC7CF3E53E46F9BFF26AE7274DA796-0000316742-0003403965-00800L-01FEBDBD7F244E9EB9F1AD7BA5070E54.jpg

A small bend would make the lens difficult or impossible to mount (or even worse if it gets stuck on the camera whilst bent!).

If you want to PM me I can give you more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Item: Camera body

Model: EOS 400D

Fault: Damage from hair product - leak from a bottle of hair product on a flight

When/how it happened:
    This was a few years ago and i never did anything about it because I assumed it was fecked (what was I thinking) but today I decided to fish out the camera and see whether the issue was as bad as when it first happened. I think its a lot better now but LCD screen is badly damaged and I'm not sure about whether the sensor or anything else is also damaged. Photos look ok whereas before they were very grainy but not sure if they're as sharp as they were.
    Anyone know whether this type of damage would be repairable? Would anyone be able to tell from a photo whether there are problems with the camera?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

Make : Canon

Item : Lens

Model : 24-105 L f4

Fault : Seems to be slightly out of focus, Not noticeable on Screen but definetly on pc

When / How : Haven't a clue, no damage to the lens body and it was never dropped it just started about 2 months ago

Please Help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

Make : Sigma

Item : Lens

Model : 150-500

Fault : I do aircraft photography and the odd moon. recently when i point the lens straight up in the sky at 500mm the barrel falls back down to 150. I have no idea how this happened. Never dropped or banged. I bought lens second hand.

Any help be great

Advertisement