Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Snapper79

Make: Tamron

Item: Lens

Model: Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 DI LD(IF)MACRO

Fault: I used the lens quite a bit for sport, mostly GAA and Rugby but the images have become blurry and out of focus. The Lens was sent away to England and was SUPPOSED to be fixed. But came back the same way and I didn't feel like cashing out again on it. So this is pretty much a last gasp!

When/how it happened: I think it may have taken a fall last year but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

kulareggae wrote: »
    Ok is there anyway to fix this?

The lines show regardless of what i point at during day

Interesting, Have you tried resetting the camera to factory defaults just in the odd chance that it may be a combination of settings or exposure compensation gone wrong?

If it is the sensor it could be fixed yes. PM me for more details if you would like.

Snapper79 wrote: »
    Make: Tamron

Model: Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 DI LD(IF)MACRO

Fault: I used the lens quite a bit for sport, mostly GAA and Rugby but the images have become blurry and out of focus. The Lens was sent away to England and was SUPPOSED to be fixed. But came back the same way and I didn't feel like cashing out again on it. So this is pretty much a last gasp!

When/how it happened: I think it may have taken a fall last year but not sure.

One thing I would say to do if you hadn't already done is to contact the place it was repaired in before and explain your situation as they should repair it/calibrate it without extra cost if they were supposed to do it the first time (and you had already payed them to do so).

Failing that I would be happy to have a look at it for you as it sounds like the impact you refered to has caused the lens to uncalibrate itself but unfortunately there's no DIY easy fix that you could do yourself for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DF464

Hi My Canon 100-400 L Lens Barrell is very stiff and has been for a while, it functions USM is fine but very frustrating, any help or suggestions would be most welcome

Can you tell me does the friction ring work as it should or do you notice any odd behaviour with it?

other than that I would be happy to take a look at it for you and find out what the problem is if you wanted to PM me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DF464

Hi the friction ring will turn but not affective, its really stiff to zoom in and out and you have to push the lens against yourself to bring it back to 100 other than that it works and focuses ok, I'll send you PM, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Make: Minolta
    Item: Camera
    Model: x-300
    Fault: Shutter won't fire (blown solenoid?)

When I put in batteries the metering appears to work fine but once I try to depress the shutter release nothing happens aside from the metering indicators in the viewfinder turning off. The wind mechanism won't advance so it's not that it's not wound on.

Looking on-line there's apparently a fairly common fault with this range of Minoltas where a solenoid blows. It's apparently a relatively easy fix for someone that's used to soldering but my last experience with a soldering iron would have been fixing joysticks for my Commodore 64 so I'm not sure I'd trust myself to do the job!

Does it sound like I've diagnosed the problem correctly? Or is there some shutter re-set function I can't find? Obviously the camera's not worth much but if it wasn't an expensive job I'd be interested in getting it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Make: Canon
    Item: DSLR body
    Model: 7d
    Issue: Cannot communicate with battery

Had this error since last week. When I turn on the camera this message flashes up on the LCD. I can select Cancel or OK. If I select ok the camera works as normal, except the battery life indicator doesn't work. I also get maybe 20% of the normal life from the battery before it dies. The battery also drains while the camera is powered off, so I have to store it with the battery out.
    I've cleaned the contacts, and removed the small time/date battery also, to no avail. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Make: Olympus
    Model: 9010
    Fault: Camera fell and got a good fall. When I turn the camera on or off, the lens may decide to come out, and may decide to go back in. If it wont go in/out, you have to let the camera die, recharge it and then it will go back in/out. Also the part on the end that holds in the battery and memory card needs replacing.

I am in Dublin and looking for someone to fix this for me, or recommend somewhere I can drop it in to be fixed at a reasonable price. ive tried one place in the city centre and for what they were charging id almost buy a new camera!!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

Make – Canon
    Item - Lens
    Model – EF-S 17-85mm
    Fault – When using the lens between 17 & 35mm I get an error 99 message on display. The lens works ok above 35mm.
    When/How it happened - Happening for few months. Reason unknown.

The contacts were cleaned but made no difference.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Make: Minolta
    Item: Camera
    Model: x-300
    Fault: Shutter won't fire (blown solenoid?)

When I put in batteries the metering appears to work fine but once I try to depress the shutter release nothing happens aside from the metering indicators in the viewfinder turning off. The wind mechanism won't advance so it's not that it's not wound on.

Looking on-line there's apparently a fairly common fault with this range of Minoltas where a solenoid blows. It's apparently a relatively easy fix for someone that's used to soldering but my last experience with a soldering iron would have been fixing joysticks for my Commodore 64 so I'm not sure I'd trust myself to do the job!

Does it sound like I've diagnosed the problem correctly? Or is there some shutter re-set function I can't find? Obviously the camera's not worth much but if it wasn't an expensive job I'd be interested in getting it fixed.

I am not familiar with this camera but if you could post the link to where you found that information I will have a look and see if I can help you out.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Item: DSLR body
    Model: 7d
    Issue: Cannot communicate with battery

Had this error since last week. When I turn on the camera this message flashes up on the LCD. I can select Cancel or OK. If I select ok the camera works as normal, except the battery life indicator doesn't work. I also get maybe 20% of the normal life from the battery before it dies. The battery also drains while the camera is powered off, so I have to store it with the battery out.
    I've cleaned the contacts, and removed the small time/date battery also, to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Can you tell me is the battery Canon or third party?
    Also do you have another Canon LP-E6 battery for the camera that you can try instead of the current draining battery.
    I have an LP-E6 if you don't have one and can test to see if it is the battery that is faulty or if you have a problem with the body (the draining seems suspicious as it would not normally be caused by the battery).

Pm me for more details if you would like.

Hi Mel,

Unfortunately due to the cost of the parts and then actually having to charge for the repair as well make P&S cameras prohibitive to repair as most of the time if the camera is over a year or two old (apart from high end models) they are nearly cheaper to buy as second hand model of the same type rather than repair.
    I had a look for the lens part on ebay there and couldn't find any full lens assemblies but did come across this cable which I would suspect is torn and causing the fault (lens cannot communicate position of extention or focal length to body)
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/543696219/Flex_cable_for_OLYMPUS_U9010_base.html
    I will have a look and see if I can find the full assembly as it is overly time consuming and finicky to have to replace the entire FPC in a P&S lens and most definitely wouldn't be cost effective for you.
    mel123 wrote: »
    Model: 9010
    Fault: Camera fell and got a good fall. When I turn the camera on or off, the lens may decide to come out, and may decide to go back in. If it wont go in/out, you have to let the camera die, recharge it and then it will go back in/out. Also the part on the end that holds in the battery and memory card needs replacing.

I am in Dublin and looking for someone to fix this for me, or recommend somewhere I can drop it in to be fixed at a reasonable price. ive tried one place in the city centre and for what they were charging id almost buy a new camera!!
    Thanks.

Hey,

This is a common fault with the 17-85mm IS.
    The FPC to the diaphragm has failed and this causes this behaviour as at 17-35mm the cable is bent in a way that it eventually folds and causes a crack to from and eventually fail.
    I actually have the parts for this fault as the lens is very popular so if you want to PM me I can give you more details.
    EASYNEWS wrote: »
    Make – Canon
    Item - Lens
    Model – EF-S 17-85mm
    Fault – When using the lens between 17 & 35mm I get an error 99 message on display. The lens works ok above 35mm.
    When/How it happened - Happening for few months. Reason unknown.

The contacts were cleaned but made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

Hey,

This is a common fault with the 17-85mm IS.
    The FPC to the diaphragm has failed and this causes this behaviour as at 17-35mm the cable is bent in a way that it eventually folds and causes a crack to from and eventually fail.
    I actually have the parts for this fault as the lens is very popular so if you want to PM me I can give you more details.

Thanks for reply,
    PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Make: Nikon

Model: D700

Fault: When I try to fire a flash it won't fire, then it will often cause the flash to strobe constantly (lighting up the room till I pull the batteries!) This is an intermittent problem, so doesn't always happen but it's not great to have a camera that doesn't always fire!

This happened to the same camera back in July and fixed by Fixation at a hefty price. They told me it was corrosion in the hot shoe was the problem, I've taken care of the camera since to make sure it didn't happen but it's gone and happened! Has anyone any advice for how to proceed or will I have to go for the expensive option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robbiecfc

Make: Vivitar (built by Komine) Pentax fit
    Model: 90mm f/2.5 Macro MC
    Fault: Dust and Fungus. Fungus is visible on front element. Needs a full CLA. Rather give the job to someone in Ireland than send it to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Item: Compact Camera

Model: Powershot SX200IS

Fault: LCD screen is cracked and less than half remains visible.

When/how it happened: Dropped on the ground.

I tried taking the camera back to where it was bought (Harvey Norman) for repair, but they said it had to go to Canon. Will I have to send it to Canon in the UK for repair and roughly how much will that cost? Or could I get it repaired for cheaper elsewhere? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Item: DSLR

Model: Powershot G9

Fault: Lens won't retract. when camera is turned on display message: lens errror, please restart camera.

When/how it happened:

Unknown. Just turned it on as normal and this occured. When on the phone to repair shop was told that it sounded like the lens track was broken.

Make: Nikon

Model: D700

Fault: When I try to fire a flash it won't fire, then it will often cause the flash to strobe constantly (lighting up the room till I pull the batteries!) This is an intermittent problem, so doesn't always happen but it's not great to have a camera that doesn't always fire!

This happened to the same camera back in July and fixed by Fixation at a hefty price. They told me it was corrosion in the hot shoe was the problem, I've taken care of the camera since to make sure it didn't happen but it's gone and happened! Has anyone any advice for how to proceed or will I have to go for the expensive option?

Sorry about the really late replies folks, had a very busy schedule the last while.

I'm wondering have you been using an external flash with this camera from the film era as they can cause problems with hot shoes and even burn them out.
    What did fixation say they replaced/repaired in their invoice as this will give a better idea of the fault if it is the same.

• Advertisement

Item: Compact Camera

Model: Powershot SX200IS

Fault: LCD screen is cracked and less than half remains visible.

When/how it happened: Dropped on the ground.

I tried taking the camera back to where it was bought (Harvey Norman) for repair, but they said it had to go to Canon. Will I have to send it to Canon in the UK for repair and roughly how much will that cost? Or could I get it repaired for cheaper elsewhere? Thanks
    I do repairs as you might have guessed so if you want to PM me I'll give you more details.

PTO wrote: »

Model: Powershot G9

Fault: Lens won't retract. when camera is turned on display message: lens errror, please restart camera.

When/how it happened:

Unknown. Just turned it on as normal and this occured. When on the phone to repair shop was told that it sounded like the lens track was broken.

I've seen this happen before with the G9.
    It is usually caused as the shop said by an FPC ripping which can be caused by many different things such as impact, lots of wear and tear and sand grinding the track as the lens barrels rotate.
    If you want to get it repaired, PM me and I'll give you more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Item: Waterproof and Compact

Model: 850 SW

Fault: Lens scratched ?? some sections of photos blurred

When/how it happened:

Not sure how it happened but may be a result of sand andor sea water drying on the lens and then sand/salt being dragged across the lens when the cover opened and closed. ( Taking photos in the sea on hols)

What I need to know is;
    As a result some photos are a bit blurred,so the camera is not really usable, Its was a good camera as it was shock and waterproof but is it an easy and cheap fix ?
    A replacement similar camera would cost approx. €165?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hello There,

Pentax
    DSLR
    K100D Super
    The camera won't write to the memory card

It fell a short distance from my bag to the ground and now when a photo is taken it gives an error that the card is locked (I'll double check this when I get home).
    The camera functions fully and will take a photo but simply won't write it to the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BigTattoo

Item: DSLR body/focusing plate

Model: 60D

Fault: I have a big black speck showing up in the eye piece. I have had the sensor cleaned and it didn't shift it, so i think it may be on the focusing plate. Is this something I can/should clean with a lens cloth, or would you recommend getting it done by someone who knows specifically what they're doing?

Thanks

BigTattoo wrote: »

Item: DSLR body/focusing plate

Model: 60D

Fault: I have a big black speck showing up in the eye piece. I have had the sensor cleaned and it didn't shift it, so i think it may be on the focusing plate. Is this something I can/should clean with a lens cloth, or would you recommend getting it done by someone who knows specifically what they're doing?

Thanks

The dirt is most likely behind the focus screen so cleaning with a cloth wont actually help.
    You can pop the focus screen out to clean behind it/clean it but they are very very easy to scratch so using a cloth is not recommended.
    If you don't have a blower and either isopropyl alcohol or eclipse cleaning fluid with a really soft material like cotton balls then I would not attempt to do this yourself as you will scratch the focus plate (also if you aren't comfortable disassembling).
    If you do have these items and are cleaning it, make sure to just rotate the cotton ball with the cleaning fluid on the axis of the centre of the focusing screen as this will not scratch it.
    Otherwise PM me for more details if you would like to get it done as I'd be glad to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hey guys,

Make: Fuji

Model: S100FS

Fault: Doesnt power on, no signs of life

When/how it happened: Stopped all of a sudden while out and about. On off switch was stiff for a few months before hand. No doubt that is the cause. Have taken it down as far as needed to get at that PCB but have no way to replace it. Fuji Ireland/UK dont have any parts(ancient unit).

Just wondering if there's anywhere that might have an old dead unit sitting around to scavenge from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BigTattoo

PM on its way, and thank you

ED E wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Make: Fuji

Model: S100FS

Fault: Doesnt power on, no signs of life

When/how it happened: Stopped all of a sudden while out and about. On off switch was stiff for a few months before hand. No doubt that is the cause. Have taken it down as far as needed to get at that PCB but have no way to replace it. Fuji Ireland/UK dont have any parts(ancient unit).

Just wondering if there's anywhere that might have an old dead unit sitting around to scavenge from?

If you have a multimeter you could have a look for a fuse on the DC/DC board to see if that is blown or alternatively to test that the switch is actually working (continuity check).
    Best place to look for an old unit would be ebay however I didn't come across any when searching either.

If you are sure it is the switch is there any visible damage to the unit or contact brushes if any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Sony HX5v
    Lens fault.
    I replaced the lens ,but on reassembly the ribbon cable between the flash unit and the main board snapped.Can I just buy a new ribbon,or the whole flash unit??
    Its the ribbon to the left of the picture in this ebay listing
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SONY-DSC-HX5V-POWER-SHUTTER-FLASH-BOARD-REPAIR-PARTS-/281042893523?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item416f763ad3

Advertisement