Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

vandriver wrote: »
    Sony HX5v
    Lens fault.
    I replaced the lens ,but on reassembly the ribbon cable between the flash unit and the main board snapped.Can I just buy a new ribbon,or the whole flash unit??
    Its the ribbon to the left of the picture in this ebay listing
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SONY-DSC-HX5V-POWER-SHUTTER-FLASH-BOARD-REPAIR-PARTS-/281042893523?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item416f763ad3

You owuld need to replace the entire board unfortunately.
    I would check to make sure the camera functions apart from the flash though before spending anything more on it.

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Thanks for the quick reply anyway.If I find a cheap part I might have a go at finishing my project.
    As an aside,the zif clamps that hold the cables,how do you open them?

vandriver wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply anyway.If I find a cheap part I might have a go at finishing my project.
    As an aside,the zif clamps that hold the cables,how do you open them?

No prob,
    if you look for a faulty camera of the same model it is most likely that the flash and flash circuit will be intact as it is not a common part to fail (check the listing obviously) but it may be a really cheap way of finding a replacement part for you.

As for the FPC cables they detatch a few different ways.
    If it looks like this: http://www.molex.com/mx_upload/superfamily/ffc_fpc_connectors/ffc-fpc_connectors_billboar.gif

just flip the black/brown/blue part that is hinged up to remove and back down when the fpc is fully secured (be careful not to rip them when putting in or pulling out).

If it looks like this: http://i.stack.imgur.com/bT2Ei.jpg

Pull the black part from both sides (at the same time) with very little force as you dont want to break the parts and when it is pulled out as far as it will go remove the cable, reverse process for putting the cable in.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Hello there :P

I have a 17-85mm lens that isn't communicating properly with the camera. The Magic Lantern HUD is reading the focal length properly as I change it, so there is some communication there. However, the DOF preview button doesn't work and the aperture isn't changing in live view.

When I try to take a picture it says communication is faulty and that I should clean the contacts. I've given them a light wipe, and there doesn't seem to be any dirt or anything on them. The problem is definitely on the lens, as I've tried on both my 60D and 550D.

Any help would be really appreciated, as this is my only lens wider than 30mm :(

Telchak wrote: »
    Hello there :P

I have a 17-85mm lens that isn't communicating properly with the camera. The Magic Lantern HUD is reading the focal length properly as I change it, so there is some communication there. However, the DOF preview button doesn't work and the aperture isn't changing in live view.

When I try to take a picture it says communication is faulty and that I should clean the contacts. I've given them a light wipe, and there doesn't seem to be any dirt or anything on them. The problem is definitely on the lens, as I've tried on both my 60D and 550D.

Any help would be really appreciated, as this is my only lens wider than 30mm :(

Sorry to hear about your fault.
    Unfortunately it's not just dirty contacts causing this one I'm afraid.
    From your description this sounds like the classic 17-85 diaphragm failure.
    I'm guessing the DOF preview works fine above about 35mm and you should be able to take a shot wide open at 17mm without it failing (but going above wide open will cause it to fail)?
    If those are the symptoms you are seeing, it is caused by a crack in the flexible cable from the diaphragm to the main pcb that at 17mm is bent and the crack basically breaks the connection and needs to be replaced.
    I actually keep this part stocked it's such a common repair.

If you would like to PM me for details I'll see what I can do for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Hi Hamster,

Model: canon 40d

Problem: Bent connection in CF card port.

There one bent connection in my CF port. As a result the camera is not reading cards etc. Can anything be done? Its just the one connector thats damaged.

Cheers

11811 wrote: »
    Hi Hamster,

Model: canon 40d

Problem: Bent connection in CF card port.

There one bent connection in my CF port. As a result the camera is not reading cards etc. Can anything be done? Its just the one connector thats damaged.

Cheers

Heya,

How badly is the pin bent? is it all the way over?

I might be able to bend it back for you without breaking it as I have a handy little homemade tool for the job that works nicely and saves you having to replace the whole CF assembly. PM me for details if you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Just received my (repaired) lens back from Zerohamster.
    Great service at a very reasonable cost - I'm delighted with it. Very slight delay in return of lens - Bank Holiday weekend so we'll blame An Post!
    Other than that I'm thrilled.

Thanks again..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anyone know of an issue with the feed forward mechanism of a 1978 Zenit-E? Either that or (stupid question I should research myself) does the Russian Zenit require a specific film?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HazardsOn

Hi folks,

I have a Nikon D80 with a AF-S Nikkor 18-135 1:3.5-5.6 G DX lens. It had a little fall while on holiday recently resulting in internal damage to the lens. The autofocus works intermittently and when I detach the lens and look through it while rotating the zoom ring I can see some curved piece (maybe a blade from the diaphragm) which seems to move about inside and which I definitely shouldn't be able to see.

Any idea if this is something that might be worth repairing? I have a fairly large excess on my insurance so I don't think it's an option to go down that route.

Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Make: olympus

Item: compact camera

Model: FE 340

Fault: horizontal lines on images

my other half uses the above camera in work (engineering workshop), and told me that it now has horizontal lines on all pictures. i google'd a little and didn't find anything conclusive, but saw that it could be a knackered sensor?
    is it worth repairing? or.... no...?

thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Make: Canon

Model: 20D with BG-E2

Item: battery grip BG-E2

Fault: Battery not lasting, but still charged

I have a canon 20D with a battery grip (BG-E2). When I use the batteries in the grip they do not work for long, they go from showing Full to flashing empty after about 20 to 30 shots. The thing is that the batteries are not dead they are still charged. If I remove the grip and place them directly into the camera they show as full charged and work perfectly. The last time it happened I put the supposed dead battery directly into the camera I was able to take another 300 shots without any problem.

I have cleaned the contacts on the grip where it enters the camera and in the battery compartment but it made no difference.

Thanks Flyingsnail

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone know of an issue with the feed forward mechanism of a 1978 Zenit-E? Either that or (stupid question I should research myself) does the Russian Zenit require a specific film?

Sorry for late reply to this.
    The Zenit 35m cameras all take standard 35m film so if there is a problem it's mechanical rather than wrong film being used.
    Does it wind to take a photo without film being present?

HazardsOn wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have a Nikon D80 with a AF-S Nikkor 18-135 1:3.5-5.6 G DX lens. It had a little fall while on holiday recently resulting in internal damage to the lens. The autofocus works intermittently and when I detach the lens and look through it while rotating the zoom ring I can see some curved piece (maybe a blade from the diaphragm) which seems to move about inside and which I definitely shouldn't be able to see.

Any idea if this is something that might be worth repairing? I have a fairly large excess on my insurance so I don't think it's an option to go down that route.

Any help appreciated.

Sounds bad unfortunately as bits shouldn't just come loose inside a lens naturally so something has snapped off or popped open inside the lens.
    The bad thing about that lens is the focus can be very tempermental when they are dropped in a way the even if you replace the damaged part inside, a small warp in any of the barrels will cause too much friction for the focus to function.
    My recommendation would be to sell the damaged lens on ebay as described (faulty etc...) and offset the cost of a replacement lens.

Depending on the cost of the lens vs excess it may be worth claiming on but without that information I can't advise you on that unfortunately. (In saying that though, if the excess is under €100 it is probably worth claiming on).

failing that I'm happy to have a look and see what is damaged inside for you as it may be smaller than it sounds.

Make: olympus

Item: compact camera

Model: FE 340

Fault: horizontal lines on images

my other half uses the above camera in work (engineering workshop), and told me that it now has horizontal lines on all pictures. i google'd a little and didn't find anything conclusive, but saw that it could be a knackered sensor?
    is it worth repairing? or.... no...?

thanks a mill!

Sorry for late reply on this.
    horizontal lines usually points to a faulty sensor if they are in the same place every photo (usually magenta lines or bright green/red but can vary).
    It could also be the card used is failing and all the images recorded have errors (these would be in different location for every photo however).
    Judging by the cost of the camera 2nd hand at around €40-45 it probably isn't worth getting repaired unfortunately.
    Picking up a second hand model or new model and selling the faulty camera would be less costly for you.
    Unfortunately the value of P&S drop so quickly that it's ofter beyond economical repair for lower value models after warranty has run out.

Make: Canon

Model: 20D with BG-E2

Item: battery grip BG-E2

Fault: Battery not lasting, but still charged

I have a canon 20D with a battery grip (BG-E2). When I use the batteries in the grip they do not work for long, they go from showing Full to flashing empty after about 20 to 30 shots. The thing is that the batteries are not dead they are still charged. If I remove the grip and place them directly into the camera they show as full charged and work perfectly. The last time it happened I put the supposed dead battery directly into the camera I was able to take another 300 shots without any problem.

I have cleaned the contacts on the grip where it enters the camera and in the battery compartment but it made no difference.

Thanks Flyingsnail

I can't really speculate as to what could be causing this other than faulty circuitry or bad contact but I'd be happy to have a look and find out for you if you would like to PM me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HazardsOn

Sounds bad unfortunately ............

My recommendation would be to sell the damaged lens on ebay as described (faulty etc...) and offset the cost of a replacement lens ................

failing that I'm happy to have a look and see what is damaged inside for you as it may be smaller than it sounds.

Thanks a million Zerohamster - really appreciate the advice.

Yes, I think replacing the lens is the best option - might pick up a good s/h one.

HO

HazardsOn wrote: »
    Thanks a million Zerohamster - really appreciate the advice.

Yes, I think replacing the lens is the best option - might pick up a good s/h one.

HO
    No problem,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Good luck in the search for another lens!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Make: Nikon

Model: D60

Item: Lens Mounting Ring (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR)

Fault: Damaged somehow while in Lowepro Slingshot Bag - Lens not mounted properly now.

Hi Folks as above, 2 little curved plastic pieces have broken off on the mounting ring, can it be repaired for a small price or am I looking at a new lens?

Camera body itself is fine, definitely wasn't dropped.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

Canon Powershot SX30IS
    Not sure what happened - photos on Saturday evening were fine, last few photos before leaving for airport on Sunday morning had a round smudge in the bottom right corner, as per attached photo.
    I was thinking it was dirt on the lens/filter till I remembered that the SLR was packed away :rolleyes:.
    I see from Canon.ie that the nearest approved service centre is in the UK, which would make postage pricey if there's a better option you can advise on!

• Advertisement

gonzo1 wrote: »

Model: D60

Item: Lens Mounting Ring (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR)

Fault: Damaged somehow while in Lowepro Slingshot Bag - Lens not mounted properly now.

Hi Folks as above, 2 little curved plastic pieces have broken off on the mounting ring, can it be repaired for a small price or am I looking at a new lens?

Camera body itself is fine, definitely wasn't dropped.

Thanks

This is a cheap one to fix, you just need the rear mount for that lens and 8/9 screws later you have a fixed lens.
    If aren't comfortable doing this yourself, PM me for more details.

cscook wrote: »
    Canon Powershot SX30IS
    Not sure what happened - photos on Saturday evening were fine, last few photos before leaving for airport on Sunday morning had a round smudge in the bottom right corner, as per attached photo.
    I was thinking it was dirt on the lens/filter till I remembered that the SLR was packed away :rolleyes:.
    I see from Canon.ie that the nearest approved service centre is in the UK, which would make postage pricey if there's a better option you can advise on!
    Looks like dust on the low pass filter that needs to be cleaned.
    I do repairs and services so if you would like to PM me for details if you would like it cleaned?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

This is a cheap one to fix, you just need the rear mount for that lens and 8/9 screws later you have a fixed lens.
    If aren't comfortable doing this yourself, PM me for more details.

Nice one, PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robbiecfc

robbiecfc wrote: »
    Make: Vivitar (built by Komine) Pentax fit
    Model: 90mm f/2.5 Macro MC
    Fault: Dust and Fungus. Fungus is visible on front element. Needs a full CLA. Rather give the job to someone in Ireland than send it to the UK.

@Zeohamster
    Received this back safe and sound. Absolutely top notch job. Thanks for the quick turnaround as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Item: DSLR Body

Model: D70

Fault: Random auto-focus not functioning. Shutter release works as usual. Problem is definitely with camera body and present with lenses with and without internal focus motors. Auto-focus assist light doesn't light up and camera doesn't hunt for focus. Have eliminated lens issues.

Due to expected repair costs I've prepared myself for a new (new/used) Nikon body, but I've lost track with the latest developments and would really appreciate some input. Bear in mind that I'm very happy with the D70 and that a used body can be had off eBay for about €100.

T-Maxx wrote: »

Item: DSLR Body

Model: D70

Fault: Random auto-focus not functioning. Shutter release works as usual. Problem is definitely with camera body and present with lenses with and without internal focus motors. Auto-focus assist light doesn't light up and camera doesn't hunt for focus. Have eliminated lens issues.

Due to expected repair costs I've prepared myself for a new (new/used) Nikon body, but I've lost track with the latest developments and would really appreciate some input. Bear in mind that I'm very happy with the D70 and that a used body can be had off eBay for about €100.

I can't really speculate as to what could cause that as I haven't encountered that fault on a Nikon before but I would try clean the contacts on the camera and lenses lightly with a rubber eraser and see if that makes a difference as the body might have oxidised contacts and could be causing communication errors (It's a long shot but worth a try).

Otherwise if you can get another D70 body for €100 then I would get the body and sell the faulty one or keep for parts as your D70 may need parts in which case the parts alone could cost nearly that much depending on what has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I managed to get a used D70 from a poster on here at a very good price.

Thanks Tom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Item: DSLR Lens
    Model: 55-200 VR
    Fault: Zoom locked

When/how it happened:
    Fell from about 2ft onto the lawn today while attached to the body. Set close to 200 when it landed. The lens is locked now and the mechanism inside the lens cover seems to have slipped forward.

PM sent to Zerohamster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Hi all.

Make Canon

Model 5D3

Fault, jammed SD card bay

How it happened: It was sticky when putting in or removing an SD card for about a month. Then one card got stuck half way on removal. Managed to jimmy it out but the metallic guides at the front of the bay were damaged in the process and SD cards will no longer seat.

Also I bought the camera while in the USA and Canon Europe are dragging their heels about a warranty repair

Has anyone any suggestions on how/where to get this repaired and how much it might cost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Make Canon
    Model powershot A3000 IS
    Problem, dropped camera, lens wont retract

Looking to see if there is a cheap way to get this fixed or how much it might cost, other than the lens not retracting and making a buzzing sound, the camera seems fine otherwise.
    It gives a lens error. Is there a way to manually close the lens, I dont want to put pressure on it.

Im thinking it will be better to just get a replacement, but it seems a waste to dump the rest of the items as they seem ok. Id still like to repair it really, but I cant locate a lens after a quick search online, but Im not sure how much a lens would cost or how difficult/tedious it would to replace or if any specially designed tools are used.

If its a write off, is there anywhere that buys damaged cameras as the remaining parts (PCB's) are likely fine.

Advertisement