Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

deuceswild wrote: »
    Started to read "A Song of Ice and Fire" for the second time.

On book 3 at the minute, and have to say its even better second time round
    I noticed that with "A Feast For Crows". Really didn't like it first time i read it, love it the second time...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm gonna start "At Swim Two Swans" tonight. Just finished Eric by Terry Pratchett.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

About halfway through "The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult, absolutely loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Just started A Feast for Crows. Haven't watched any of the shows yet, going to wait I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

"Happyslapped By A Jellyfish" by Karl Pilkington. Good stuff. He writes like a pessimistic twelve year old but I love it all the same. About 50% of the way through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm gonna start "At Swim Two Swans" tonight. Just finished Eric by Terry Pratchett.

At Swim Two Birds, no?

Genius writer. The Third Policeman is a classic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Reading 2312 at the moment. Seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The boy in the attic by David Malone.
    I had vague recollection of something sinister happening in Palmerstown when I was a kid, a few scary stories but not much detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I just read Parallel Universes by Fred Alan Wolf and now starting String Theory for Dummies. Saw a few interesting documentaries and wanted to read up on it. I know I am way in over my head with this stuff but I'll keep reading anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

At Swim Two Birds, no?

Genius writer. The Third Policeman is a classic.

Yes! I googled to make sure and still got it wrong! It was recommended as a humorous book in the literature forum so I said I'd give it a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Recently read 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Brilliant book, i couldn't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Get Real

Currently reading "Hitler" by Ian Kershaw, fascinating book, very well sourced and delves deep into the early personal life of a man who lived as a loner in a men's shelter and became one of the most infamous leaders of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

At Home by Bill Bryson, it was one of the few english books I could find at the airport shop on holidays, its good so far, interesting and easy to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Am reading Lies of Silence by Brian Moore. My eldest girl did it for the Leaving a couple of years ago, and I was stuck for something to read. Am enjoying it, quite gripping..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Lucius Fogg: Malicious Intent by Dan Wickline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ghosts of Spain,Giles Tremlett, Absolutely brilliant book (imo)on Spain and its hidden past of the civil war and how it is still dividing the country today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

So i've finally converted to an e-reader and powered through all of my "to read" books and have nothing at the moment.Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Midway through 'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' by Joyce.
    Not crazy about it at the moment but I can see the influence it has had on 20th century literature

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

FINALLY finished the last of the *published* ASOIAF books last night. It's never taken me so long to read books as it has the last two, but I've really enjoyed it. I'll definitely have to re-read them all again before the next one comes out (I'm sure I'll have plenty of time!) as there's just so much to take in. I don't know what I'll do when the current series is over and I won't be able to get my Game of Thrones fix :eek:

Started The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas on the bus this morning. I know it's got mixed reviews but my sister lent it to me so I just picked it up on the way out the door. I think I'll have to download it later though...this is the first actual book I've read in nearly 18 months and it's too bulky for my handbag!

• Advertisement

FINALLY finished the last of the *published* ASOIAF books last night. It's never taken me so long to read books as it has the last two, but I've really enjoyed it. I'll definitely have to re-read them all again before the next one comes out (I'm sure I'll have plenty of time!) as there's just so much to take in. I don't know what I'll do when the current series is over and I won't be able to get my Game of Thrones fix :eek:

Are those books overly complicated in terms of character density,or are they fairly handy to follow and know who's who?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Are those books overly complicated in terms of character density,or are they fairly handy to follow and know who's who?

I found them complicated. There are hundreds of characters. A character might be mentioned a couple of times in book 1 for instance, and then mightn't appear again until book 4 or 5! I'd often be checking the wiki on my phone to remind me of who's who. I've given up books in the past for that reason (LOTR for one) but I'm glad I kept going, they're very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

pmcmahon wrote: »
    There are so many characters and names that it can be difficult to follow them -then you go to the internet to try to solve a doubt... and boom! major spoiler ! :mad:

Barna77 wrote: »
    There are so many characters and names that it can be difficult to follow them -then you go to the internet to try to solve a doubt... and boom! major spoiler ! :mad:
    I found them complicated. There are hundreds of characters. A character might be mentioned a couple of times in book 1 for instance, and then mightn't appear again until book 4 or 5! I'd often be checking the wiki on my phone to remind me of who's who. I've given up books in the past for that reason (LOTR for one) but I'm glad I kept going, they're very enjoyable.

I think i'll put them on the long finger so,wasn't overly impressed by the TV series anyway.It seems like too much of a commitment right now Lolz

Barna77 wrote: »

I managed to never spoil anything for myself (well I thought I did when I read on a Youtube video, but that turned out not to be true!). I used AWOIAF. If you search for a character, the wiki page goes through their part in each book one by one, so just scroll carefully and you can just read as far as the particular book you're on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

A Memory of light,

the last book in the wheel of time series, enjoying it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Just started the final published book of a Song of Ice and Fire series. Looking forward to finishing it. Although IO really enjoy the books, I find them hard work. As ibc said, the characters do get confusing. I definitely did not figure out who everyone was until the second book. I think once I finish this I will read something fluffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Under the Dome by Stephen King. Close to finishing it now and loving itA mysterious dome\force field comes down over a typical small town in the states and its about how the power struggle within develops\gets out of hand very quickly....also looks at how divides come about very quickly when people are forced into a situation they aren't used to and fear takes hold. Not a million miles away from the Stand really...its is being made into a 13 episode series by some cable channel and being shown in June so it'll be interesting to see how they approach it. Stephen King is involved so hopefully they won't veer too far from the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I'm sick of reading books that nobody talks about in everyday life, so this year I'm starting to read more classics.

Right now I'm on War and Peace.

Greatest novel ever written? Jesus it's tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and am a few chapters into Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement