Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Davyhal wrote: »
    Powering through the books these days!

Yesterday I read "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson and "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde.

Jekyll and Hyde was alright. I know it is supposed to be one of the Big 3 when it comes to classic horror (along with Frankenstein and Dracula) but I thought it was nothing special. Maybe my experience would have been different if I had not known how it worked out, but realistically, who these days does not know the story of Jekyll and Hyde?

The Importance of Being Earnest was brilliant! Rarely do I laugh out loud whilst reading, but I caught myself doing so a few times while reading this play, especially in the second act. Clever clever wordplay.
    I found it interesting that Jekyll was transforming into Hyde intentionally. Before I read it, my understanding was that he did so accidentally. Don't remember it too well as I read it when I was pretty young, but I think I liked it well enough.

I didn't like the Importance of Being Earnest. It probably was brilliant in its day, but since then a LOT of people have used the same sort of humour, so it's become a bit stale. I liked other Wilde stuff I read - Picture of Dorian Grey, the children's story [they're horrifying haha], and some of Die Profundis.

I've started Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut. Been a while since I've been able to focus on a normal book (as opposed to graphic novels), but this one has engaged me very well right off the bat, so that's good. Really good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just finished reading "My Brothers Voice" - true story about a Hungarian Jew and his brother who were transported to Auschwitz concentration camp and then onto Muhldorf outside Munich during WWII - absolutely harrowing stuff - one particular incident which stayed with me for the whole book. So well written and a happy ending of sorts for the protagonist I guess but still quite obviously tinged with awful sadness for all he has lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Lords of the Bow by Conn Iggulden

I read this one last summer and loved it, hadn't heard anything about the author, was staying in a friends' house and started reading it then "borrowed" it. It is based on the life and times of Genghis Khan.

I'm halfway through Bones of the Hills by the same author, a continuation of the story, but you wouldn't have to read the other one, great so far.

While googling just now I've discovered the above books are part 2 and 3 of a series of 4 books.

I love historical fiction so these books might not be for everyone. But I will definitely be checking out his other books. I also love Robert Harris's historical books.

Here's his website if any of you are into historical fiction:

http://www.conniggulden.com/

EDIT: The Slap : Like many others I'd heard great reviews about The Slap and thought it would be a good read from some of the reviews, I think I have now officially given up on it, I did try at least twice getting into it.. I probably read half of it, rubbish. Like a poster above I rarely give up on books, but this one was miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wertyuiop

Reading a book called Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks.
    Exploring the relationship between music and the brain and music related mental disorders.
    Fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne. It's one of those biographies where you can really imagine him talking the narrative in your head. Very funny, a bit shocking in places but also interesting to see how Black Sabbath formed, hit it big time then disintergrated. About 50% of the way through it and throughly enjoying it. Next on my list The Heroin Diaries. Read it before a few years ago and loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just started Coriolanus by Shakespeare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hothschild

Fascinating stuff about the exploitation of the Congo a period in history I was unaware of. Interesting to read the life of Henry Stanley of 'Dr Livingstone I presume' fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

Didn't really expect to like it but so far so good! Really enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon.

Very short chapters (a plus for me I like as much segmentation as possible) and straightforward prose. It seems to be a bit of a comedy but I don't generally find books the best medium for it but its a good read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

a few years old but just started bullfighting by roddy doyle havent read a book in ages.picked up a copy of 1984 by George orwell aswell :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I am reading the first Harry Potter book. I have read it before but a long time ago so have most of it forgotten.

It is a particularly good story. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I've nearly finished Pet Sematary, only 30 pages left. I had to put it aside, if the movie is faithful to the book, I know what it's coming....... :eek: :(

I have to man up and finish it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Nearly finished 'All The Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy. It's not deserving of the exuberant encomium it received in the press (e.g. 'Best American novel of this or any other generation') and so far it's my least favourite work by the author. It's not a tenth the book that Blood Meridian is, for example, either in scope or execution

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

'The other side of the bridge' Mary Lawson.....has me enthralled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm reading a collection of short stories by Tobias Wolff called Our Story Begins. I'm very fond of Wolff and enjoying this one a lot.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finished "Insurrection" by Robyn Young, the first book of a historical fiction trilogy based around the life of Robert the Bruce. Really enjoyed it, will have to see if I can find the 2nd book (not sure if its out in Ireland yet). If not, may pick up another Terry Pratchett.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Skagboys - Irvine Welsh

Cracking read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

just finished "scar tissue" anthony kiedis auto-biography,and started reading the count of monte christo again today had to put it down for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell. So far so good but often quite harrowing graphic fiction about life in Nazi Germany. Its written from the perspective of a gay SS officer who drifted into the SS and who has no hatred of the Jews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

The bloodstained spears by Nelson T Gombacomba jr.
    An African love story. It was free on amazon recently. It's a lovely simple story, if basic prose doesn't bother you give this a try, I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 akaRed

Cake or Death by Sarah Rielle - cheap Kindle book on Amazon, just finished it, absolutely loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

The wolf of wall street- Very good book and hilarious too.

Being made into a movie I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Malazan - Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. Don't believe I've been reading fantasy for 10 years and haven't read this yet. Almost finished the first book and it's just epic. It's very similar to others I've read but simply better written than most. One of those books I want to read as fast as possible but somehow never finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Nearly finished 'All The Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy. It's not deserving of the exuberant encomium it received in the press (e.g. 'Best American novel of this or any other generation') and so far it's my least favourite work by the author. It's not a tenth the book that Blood Meridian is, for example, either in scope or execution

+1 on that. Have read everything that McCarthy has written and although all his work ranks among the modern greats, 'Blood Meridian' is his masterwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

NothingMan wrote: »
    Malazan - Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. Don't believe I've been reading fantasy for 10 years and haven't read this yet. Almost finished the first book and it's just epic. It's very similar to others I've read but simply better written than most. One of those books I want to read as fast as possible but somehow never finish.

Love that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

lies by Micheal Grant part of the Gone seiris cant put the book down

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Just starting to read Paul McGraths autobiography " Back from the Brink "
    Finding it an excellent read.Normally read thrillers and have only recently discovered James Lee Burke, and really enjoyed the three novels of his that i read recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

World War Z

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement