Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Wibbs wrote: »
    Spike Milligan's book Adolf Hitler, My part in his downfall. Volume one. Funny. :) I remember reading it as a kid. One bit stands I recall was where Spike and a few mates were standing outside a Psychiatric Hospital in Germany around Christmas time, singing carols including one that went "god rest ye Jerry Mentalmen" :D Spike milligan had an odd and brilliant mind, the Goons and his 1970's TV show made Monty Python look like Terry and June at times.

Puckoon is pretty good too, and The Bible is a giggle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Risteard wrote: »
    Just finished 1984 last night.

Waiting on two more to arrive from bookdepository.

Perdido Street Station and The Blade itself
    What did you think of it. its my favourite book

I started flann obriens the third policeman today. bonkers but lovin it. got totally caught up in it during lunch and was late gettin back. i might make a pint of guinness and it my regular lunch habit til its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The Sisters Brothers, for the second time.
    mackg wrote: »
    A brief history of time, I would recommend it to anyone who is remotely interested in science.

And maybe follow it up with 'Faster than the speed of light', for a more recent insight into some of the people and politics behind modern physics. It's very readable though the theories mess with your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

honeybear wrote: »
    In a lovely chilled bookclub. It's really the social aspect that I am enjoying. Any suggestions for a book that we might enjoy? Historical fiction has been a hit so far. Any ideas?

Try 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet', set in a Dutch trading post in Japan, and partially based around real events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

What did you think of it. its my favourite book

Enjoyed. Founding the ending a bit sad though it would be pretty silly had it come out any other way.

One of those books you'd re-read a couple of times and pick up more I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Just started reading Fabrice Muambe book, good read so far..anyone read it?

Risteard wrote: »

Enjoyed. Founding the ending a bit sad though it would be pretty silly had it come out any other way.

One of those books you'd re-read a couple of times and pick up more I'd say.
    Definitely. iv read it at least a dozen times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I started flann obriens the third policeman today. bonkers but lovin it. got totally caught up in it during lunch and was late gettin back. i might make a pint of guinness and it my regular lunch habit til its done.

'Bonkers' is a great word to describe 'The Third Policeman', have you read 'The Poor Mouth' yet?, doubleplusgood bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I finished A Dance with Dragons. Now the wait for the next book :( At least now I won't be worried about all the spoilers....

Began with Pet Sematary

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Reading "Mastery" by Robert Green at the moment. Fascinating book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Stephen King - Needful Things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

My Godawful Life, by Sunny McCreary (aka Michael Kelly)

The first time I finished it I emailed the author to thank him for writing it. He emailed back to say that I was the first reader to contact him about the book. The poor fecker. Great book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

A Moveable Feast by Hemingway

Gonna read Cloud Atlas after I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Currently reading Tim Pat Coogan's biography of Michael Collins. Pretty decent so far, gives a good insight into the quite rough & ready (though highly intelligent) nature of the man. Amusing to learn for instance that one of his favourite methods for greeting friends was to jump upon them & bite their ears, not actually taking lumps out of them or anything but often enough to draw blood. A bit of a looper in other words.

On the other hand the account of how he constantly managed to avoid arrest through "hiding in plain sight" & the use of his intelligence network is extraordinarily impressive. I'll definitely have to read more about the intelligence work & the role of The Squad in the future. T Ryle Dwyer has a book on that topic which looks interesting.

De Valera isn't shown in a particularly good light so far in the book (at the chapter on Treaty negotiations at the moment), the name Machiavelli being mentioned by TPC in relation to how he persuaded Collins to go to London instead of him for instance, thus ensuring that the blame for not achieving a full Republic (which the British had already told Dev was out of the question) would fall on the Corkman.

Overall a pretty enjoyable read so far with lots of fascinating anecdotes to give flesh to the characters of Collins & others involved in the struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

Reading "Wool Omnibus" by Hugh Howey.

"Just finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Barack Obama-Dreams from my father

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Custardpi wrote: »
    Currently reading Tim Pat Coogan's biography of Michael Collins. Pretty decent so far, gives a good insight into the quite rough & ready (though highly intelligent) nature of the man. Amusing to learn for instance that one of his favourite methods for greeting friends was to jump upon them & bite their ears, not actually taking lumps out of them or anything but often enough to draw blood..........

I believe that former professional footballer and thespian Vinnie Jones employs a similar method of salutation when reacquainting himself with old friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Just finished The Doors Of Perception be yer man Huxley. Pretty class but mainly because I'm interested in the topic, really makes ye think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just finished The Doors Of Perception be yer man Huxley. Pretty class but mainly because I'm interested in the topic, really makes ye think.

Great book, very influential. Title inspired by William Blake & in turn inspired the name of band The Doors. I remember borrowing it about 10 years or so ago from my local library. Some previous user (presumably unbeknownst to library staff) had written a couple of paragraphs on one of the blank pages at the start of the book, advising that the best way to appreciate it was to read it while on LSD or a similar halucinogenic & giving some handy tips for first time users of such substances. Being a bit of a chicken when it comes to that kind of thing (I still am) I elected to read it with the aid of my normal brain chemistry only, quite enjoyed it in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - about the woman behind the HeLa cell line - the first immortal cell line. The author has focused on telling her story for the first time and got quite close to the family as well as some interesting details on what the cells were used for etc. Definitely worth a read - very interesting.

Just finished these after buying it off this recommendation, a great read, a really special book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Custardpi wrote: »
    Currently reading Tim Pat Coogan's biography of Michael Collins. Pretty decent so far, gives a good insight into the quite rough & ready (though highly intelligent) nature of the man. Amusing to learn for instance that one of his favourite methods for greeting friends was to jump upon them & bite their ears, not actually taking lumps out of them or anything but often enough to draw blood. A bit of a looper in other words.

On the other hand the account of how he constantly managed to avoid arrest through "hiding in plain sight" & the use of his intelligence network is extraordinarily impressive. I'll definitely have to read more about the intelligence work & the role of The Squad in the future. T Ryle Dwyer has a book on that topic which looks interesting.

De Valera isn't shown in a particularly good light so far in the book (at the chapter on Treaty negotiations at the moment), the name Machiavelli being mentioned by TPC in relation to how he persuaded Collins to go to London instead of him for instance, thus ensuring that the blame for not achieving a full Republic (which the British had already told Dev was out of the question) would fall on the Corkman.

Overall a pretty enjoyable read so far with lots of fascinating anecdotes to give flesh to the characters of Collins & others involved in the struggle.

Haven't read the biography you are reading atm but have read a lot over the years about Collins and others involved at that time and it was pretty much a general consensus that Dev was not well like(to put it mildly:rolleyes:). Dev did come across as a bit power hungry with "the cause" as an after thought at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Pushers Out:The Inside Story of Dublin’s Anti-Drugs Movement' by Andre Lyder.

Fascinating insight into how the Gardai/Govt/HSE didn't give two shítes about the escalating heroin problem in inner city Dublin in the 90's,as long as the problem was confined there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

James Herbert died this week (RIP) so it might be a good time to time to break out The Rats...

hey don't fret I mean the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Takingiteasy

Re reading The Yacoubian Building by alas al aswany. Great book, beautiful story, well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

A Dance With Dragons. About 1/4 of the way through it. I've been really slow at reading this series but have enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait for the show to start back next week :D

Has anyone here read The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas? My sister passed it onto me saying it was really good, but the reviews in the Kindle store are VERY mixed so not sure what to think!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Has anyone here read The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas? My sister passed it onto me saying it was really good, but the reviews in the Kindle store are VERY mixed so not sure what to think!

I rarely abandon a book but I also think life is too short to wade through inane, badly written treacle. I bought this book about a year ago and abandoned ship about 1/3 of the way through, not for me at all.

Finished The Seamstress by Maria Duenas a few days ago which I didn't enjoy. I was keen to know more about the Spanish Civil War but this just lost it's way and the protagonist was a total subwit.

Have about twenty pages left of Tell Me No Secrets by Julie Corbin and I'm transfixed, a really good psychological thriller and I'm dying to know what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Powering through the books these days!

Yesterday I read "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson and "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde.

Jekyll and Hyde was alright. I know it is supposed to be one of the Big 3 when it comes to classic horror (along with Frankenstein and Dracula) but I thought it was nothing special. Maybe my experience would have been different if I had not known how it worked out, but realistically, who these days does not know the story of Jekyll and Hyde?

The Importance of Being Earnest was brilliant! Rarely do I laugh out loud whilst reading, but I caught myself doing so a few times while reading this play, especially in the second act. Clever clever wordplay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement