Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

Fiifty Shades Darker - the prequel was very hard to get into, not very well written and annoyingly repetitive, but the 2nd installment actually does a good job finally developing the characters and the story.

Im a huge fan of Trudi Canavan and Phillipa Gregory. Mostly read historical/fantasy. Fifty shades isnt normally what I would go for but sure I had to see what the women were talking about! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Orson Scott Card's Xenocide. A frakking great literary series, so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm reading Ash by James Herbert at the moment. I like the David Ash series of books. I'm a bit surprised at some of the controversial assertions he's mooted so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I've just finished Some Kind of Peace by Camilla Grebe and Asa Traft. Its a swedish crime/murder novel, not a genre I'd normally read but this was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

9959 wrote: »
    Tearing Down The Wall Of Sound: The Rise And Fall Of Phil Spector
    by Mick Brown

Do I love it, my oh my!

Ah, I saw that in my local book shop yesterday, was thinking of getting it. I take it you liked it then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

All 5 of the current books (or 7 if book 3 and 5 were split) The next one is meant to be out this year i think. I am on a feast of crows
    I loved AFFC. The pace is slower than ASOS but the storytelling is superb.. A Dance with Dragons will blow your mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wotsit

The Art of Happiness , Dalai Lama through interviews by an American psychiatrist, am now deliriously happy :D

Thank goodness I was given that book from my daughter for Xmas as I also got a gift of The Irish book of Short Stories, and of course being all Irish authors, it is full of the dark side of human nature and is totally depressing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Ah, I saw that in my local book shop yesterday, was thinking of getting it. I take it you liked it then ;)

A great read.
    Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

GerB40 wrote: »
    I loved AFFC. The pace is slower than ASOS but the storytelling is superb.. A Dance with Dragons will blow your mind..
    I've just finished the last of the books and am twitching for the next one to be published. Hopefully it won't take so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

GerB40 wrote: »

I thought the first book was very slow and tedious and nearly stopped reading it. I am glad I did not though. I am listening to them on audio book with a good reader. I have got the tv series now (did not have sky atlantic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Can You Forgive Her by Anthony Trollope. It's been good so far but my god it's long. There's another 5 books in the series too. Not sure if I'll be able to get through them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Reading "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe, fairly short so should be finished in the next day or so. Been meaning to read it for a good while, largely because one of my favourite albums by The Roots was named after it. Set in rural Nigeria in the 19th Century it tells the story of Okonkwo, a prosperous member of his clan who witnesses & suffers from much upheaval in the community. Really enjoying it as it manages to describe the life & world view of the tribe in a non-sentimental or patronising way, everything from food preparation to religion is seen from their perspective as you become completely immersed in their world. Can definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

This completely FREE and EXCELLENT short story called "A Colder War".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Fiifty Shades Darker - the prequel was very hard to get into, not very well written and annoyingly repetitive, but the 2nd installment actually does a good job finally developing the characters and the story.

There's a story?!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Can beat a good fiction novel such as Lance Armstrong Biography!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

Custardpi wrote: »
    Reading "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe, fairly short so should be finished in the next day or so. Been meaning to read it for a good while, largely because one of my favourite albums by The Roots was named after it. Set in rural Nigeria in the 19th Century it tells the story of Okonkwo, a prosperous member of his clan who witnesses & suffers from much upheaval in the community. Really enjoying it as it manages to describe the life & world view of the tribe in a non-sentimental or patronising way, everything from food preparation to religion is seen from their perspective as you become completely immersed in their world. Can definitely recommend it.

If you like that I'd recommend The River Between by Ngugi Wa Thiong'o next!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Go by James Holmes, the first beat novel, only around 50 pages in but it seems promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just started A Feast for Crows. The second half of A Storm of Swords was amazing, so much happened! They're splitting that book into two series for TV, so next year's series will be brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

World War Z

Absolute dross. I would have written better in 6th class. All the bloody characters have the same voice/tone.

Ars* gravy

Just finished it really liked it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finished I Am Legend, , really enjoyable, thought it could have been a bit longer though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Bill Bryson - A short history on nearly everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Bill Bryson - A short history on nearly everything

Haven't read it yet, but laughed out loud reading 'Notes From A Small Island'.

Is 'A Short History' as funny, in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

9959 wrote: »
    Haven't read it yet, but laughed out loud reading 'Notes From A Small Island'.

Is 'A Short History' as funny, in your opinion?

Have you read A Walk In The Woods? That the book of his I laughed at most. It's brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The Psychopath Test:A Journey Through the Madness Industry By Jon Ronson
    Brilliant Book !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Stephen King - The Shining. Been on my "to read" list for a long time. Creepy and tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Bacchus wrote: »
    Stephen King - The Shining. Been on my "to read" list for a long time. Creepy and tense.

Excellent read. Far more in depth than the movie (which King wasn't too happy with). The sequel comes out later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Just read Brutal, by Kevin Weeks. Whitey Bulger's accomplice in crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Le Freak, Nile Rodgers' autobiography. He is one of the founders of the band Chic who many will associate with disco-y songs like Good Times, Le Freak (C'est Chic) and Dance, Dance, Dance.
    Had the chance to see him live last year so I was thrilled. He had such a screwed up childhood it is almost impossible to believe. Highly recommended if you like your bios on key music figures.
    I've downloaded lots of classic books to get through too, but I may look for a bio on Jimi Hendrix before I take a break from the musos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Custardpi wrote: »

Never new where the album name came from. I ADORE the track with Erykah Badu's sweet sweet voice...and then the drum break at the end. If you get the chance to see Badu live, I highly highly recommend it. (Jill Scott, too).
    Will make a note about this book so I can check it out. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

A House and its Head by Ivy Compton-Burnett. It's rather amusing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement