Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Just started A Storm of Swords the other day. Really enjoying it so far, especially after struggling a bit with A Clash of Kings.
    Get ready to enjoy it. Best book so far.

A Feast for Crows is dragging on slowly... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

Russka by Edward Rutherfurd- loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Oliver_Ahern

not finished it yet but so far it's filthy dirty with a few good one liners. Usually a fan of McGahern but not sure where he's going with this one :confused:. Thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Dubliners by Joyce

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    Dubliners by Joyce
    What's your favourite story so far? I loved 'An Encounter' & 'Araby' best. "The Dead" is more like a novella than a short story but it is obviously brilliant also. Enjoy, Joyce is the master!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

zyanya wrote: »
    Have you read "Doce Cuentos Peregrinos" (Twelve peregrin tales)? <3 Also, I love the songs Shakira wrote for the film ("Despedida" and "Hay Amores")

Todavía no, looks good though. The English translation is actually called "Strange Pilgrims" for some reason. Have "Crónica de una Muerte Anunciada" (Chronicle of a Death Foretold) on my shelf waiting to be read & have been recommended "Noticia de un Secuestro" (News of a Kidnapping) so plan on getting that soon too. How do his short stories compare to his longer works?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

What's your favourite story so far? I loved 'An Encounter' & 'Araby' best. "The Dead" is more like a novella than a short story but it is obviously brilliant also. Enjoy, Joyce is the master!

i always find Joyce to be monotonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

pmcmahon wrote: »

The last paragraph of The Dead is one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read, tbh. If that was the only thing he'd ever written, I'd still think he was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Reading Moby Dick, €2.75 in Easons sure why not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I'm only about half way through do far, but my favourite ones so far are "After The Race" and "An Encounter". Really enjoying it so far, I read Portrait of an artist last year but found it quite tough so I was pleasantly surprised that Dubliners was so accessible

• Advertisement

pmcmahon wrote: »

I think with Joyce it can seem that way on the surface, especially in his first novel and short stories. I think his short stories/portrait are a good window into the genius he would later become in ullysses & finigan's wake though; which are certainly head wrecks, but by no means monotonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I just ordered Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall by Spike Milligan. It's the first of his memoirs from during WW2. Looking forward to reading it during Christmas. I'll be too busy for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It took me a month, A MONTH!! to get through Terry Pratchetts Wyrd Sisters so yeah, I'm taking a break from TP for a while.

I started "We need to talk about Kevin" last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It took me a month, A MONTH!! to get through Terry Pratchetts Wyrd Sisters so yeah, I'm taking a break from TP for a while.

I started "We need to talk about Kevin" last night.

I found the witches to be the weakest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

Nesbo, Nemesis.

Heard about him in the irish times couple weeks back, two books into the series now. Really enjoying it, best crime fiction since David Peaces red riding trilogy,IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

The last paragraph of The Dead is one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read, tbh. If that was the only thing he'd ever written, I'd still think he was great!

The Dead is my favourite, fantastic reading!
    Reading Moby Dick, €2.75 in Easons sure why not :D

If ever I find myself needing a badass thing to say to someone just before I kill them I always think I will use the most epic of quotes
    Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Myself, I am reading World War Z. A friend told me to check it out and it is a great read

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

At the moment I am reading Jack the Ripper- The Whitechapel Murderer by Terry Lynch, I find it really interesting and easy to read, one of the easier books on Jack the Ripper to read. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Shryke wrote: »
    I just ordered Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall by Spike Milligan. It's the first of his memoirs from during WW2. Looking forward to reading it during Christmas. I'll be too busy for the next few weeks.

Its brilliant, very funny:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Just finished The worst hard time by Timothy Egan. It's an account of the great American dust bowl in the 1930's and of the people who didn't leave. Great book, amazingly awful period of history.

Auldloon wrote: »
    Just finished The worst hard time by Timothy Egan. It's an account of the great American dust bowl in the 1930's and of the people who didn't leave. Great book, amazingly awful period of history.

Will have to check that out, keep meaning to read a non-fiction account of that period in American history. Always loved Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" & Woody Guthrie songs like "The Ballad of Tom Joad". Both of those of course deal with those who did leave. It must have been sheer hell for those who stayed. Thanks for the tip! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Shryke wrote: »

You're in for a treat. I read it years ago when I was a youngfella and I can't remember the details but I do remember from the blurb at the back it was the first time I learned the meaning of the word "anarchic".

It was also the first time I learned to love the idea of black humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Just finished Escape from Camp 14 (North Korea prison camp escape etc). Before that -1984, The caged virgin, Mortality by Hitchens.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Just finished Escape from Camp 14 (North Korea prison camp escape etc). Before that -1984, The caged virgin, Mortality by Hitchens.

If you like that book check out "The Aquariums of Pyongyang" - Kang Chol-Hwan's account of he & his family's time in a North Korean labour camp & his subsequent escape to freedom in the South. One of the most striking details he mentions is how he retained an affection for many years for rats, because during his time in the camp the only way he was able to keep his strength up was by killing & eating the rats with which the place was infested. Heavy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Bought the life of pi today - gonna start readin it tomorrow.

girl2 wrote: »
    Bought the life of pi today - gonna start readin it tomorrow.

It's a good read. You've made a good move reading it before the movie releases.

Must be 15 or more years since I read any of Clive barker but started the books of blood last night. Quality!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Flying through A Storm of Swords at the moment. It's my favourite of the books so far, so much happening in it!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Reading 'Salem's lot, then moving onto Dracula. Vampires, vampires everywhere.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Just finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, starting the Dexter books now. Never managed to get into non fiction.

• Advertisement

Kashmir: The Case for Freedom by Tariq Ali et al. It's absolutely shocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement