Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Recently finished A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge, which is some pretty long and heavy SciFi, so for a little "light" reading I'm doing some Tom Clancy. Red Rabbit, one of his later books, is set in the early 1980s, filling in the gap in the Jack Ryan timeline between Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October. Ryan has been posted to London, working with the SIS monitoring events in Russia under Brezhnev, with Yuri Andropov still in charge at the KGB. There are rumblings in Poland, and Pope John Paul II (who was Polish) was being "difficult", and so ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I found We need to talk about Kevin a bit boring and never got far with it. Lots of my friends liked it though and the topic is very interesting. If I haven't given it away I might give it another go.

I just finished The Rules of Civility by Amour Towles and thought it was excellent but was slightly disappointed by the ending. I'm often disappointed by endings, often people have a great story but it's like they don't think about how to end it convincingly so they just throw in any crap that will do.
    Anyway I'm broke now so downloaded a few half decent looking free kindle books from Amazon - Sleeping Tigers and Still Life Shadows. I'll start one of these tonight. Hopefully they won't be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes... Recently I decided that I have to read more of the classics, and they are so cheap to buy (and even free for Kindle), and I am so glad I did. There is a reason they are considered classics, they are amazing. Already have a few more bought to follow this up (Far from the Maddening Crowd, The Great Gatsby, Kidnapped, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Secret Agent)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Just read animal farm whilst in 3 hour queue.

Nice book and passed the time really well.

Also reading a book called scarecrow by Matthew Reilly, its a pretty stupid action book, easy enough reading for long train journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Read American Psycho over the Xmas (very festive I know :D), been meaning to read it for years as I really enjoyed the film when it came out. Ellis is great at conveying how terrifying the ordinariness & even blandness of the character is when combined with the brutality of his acts - really gets across the detached nature of the psychopatic mind well. He often appears more emotionally invested in designer fashion, dinner reservations at "in" restaurants or the latest Huey Lewis CD than the suffering he causes by his crimes. Overall it's a fantastic satirical attack on the City/Wallstreet culture, but the graphic descriptions of some of the murders are extremely disturbing - you almost feel you should be doing life yourself just for reading it lol!

Decided to cleanse my palate so to speak after finishing it so am reading Edward Fitzgerald's translation of The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, a collection of quatrains from the 11/12th Century Persian poet. There's some really beautiful ones in there, of which the following, one of many tributes to the virtues of wine is my favourite so far:

How long, how long, in infinite Pursuit
    Of This and That endeavour and dispute?
    Better be merry with the fruitful Grape
    Than sadden after none, or bitter, Fruit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Currently working through 1599 A Year in the life of William Shakespeare by James Shapiro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Currently 12 chapters into My **** Life So Far, the autobiography of Frankie Boyle. It's hilerious, crude and frankly honest. Next on my list after that is either "I Am Ozzy" or "The Physican".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. I've been into scifi for years, but somehow never got around to starting the Culture series until now. It's pretty amazing so far! Put away half of the book yesterday. Lazy Sundays, I love 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

To Kill a Mockingbird :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Under the dome-stephen king

So many characters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gerald's Game - Stephen King. Only started it last night, intriguing plot, interested to see if he can make it work.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Just finished reading "The Hunger but Mainly Death Games". Trash parody to a crappy ripoff trilogy. Better than the original though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Shaun William Ryder's autobiography

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

McChubbin wrote: »
    Currently 12 chapters into My **** Life So Far, the autobiography of Frankie Boyle. It's hilerious, crude and frankly honest. Next on my list after that is either "I Am Ozzy" or "The Physican".
    " i am ozzy" i thoroughly enjoyed it a great read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

City of Bohane by Kevin Barry, really enjoying it so far. Set in a fictional city in post-apocalyptic west of Ireland 50 years in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Gerald's Game - Stephen King. Only started it last night, intriguing plot, interested to see if he can make it work.

I was piqued when I someone gave me a quick rundown of the plot but it didn't quite live up to my expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Pyramids by Terry Pratchett and Inverting The Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson on my new Kindle Fire no less! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Robin Hobbs' Dragon Keeper - a follow-on to the Liveship series. I enjoyed the Liveship series, though it did drag a bit in places and the serpents tended to go on a bit. I'll hold the verdict on Dragon Keeper till I have read a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

The Governors Wife
    Mark Gimenez

I've been singing praises for his other books. But this one is so slow, just not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

RikkFlair wrote: »
    City of Bohane by Kevin Barry, really enjoying it so far. Set in a fictional city in post-apocalyptic west of Ireland 50 years in the future.

Just finished it. Quiet original and enjoyable. Potential for a great film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just finished Below Zero by CL James, I think - it was alright. Read it if you get it for nothing but I would go buying it. I got it on the Kindle daily deal a few months ago.

About to start The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Halfway through The Green Mile by Stephen King, and yes I have seen the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Riders On The Storm ,My life with Jim Morrison and the Doors - John Densmore .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I finished The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons the other day, the second book of four in his Hyperion Cantos. It's really good, very very sci-fi and quite complex at times, but a great read.

For a change of pace I started Nicholas Nickleby yesterday, which'll keep my busy for a while, then I'll probably head back to sci-fi territory with Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks which I got today, my first Culture novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Got a couple for christmas. Read Animal Farm and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Animal Farm was pretty good and I'm a fan of Orwell, I suppose its iconic at this stage. Curious Incident is the easiest book I can remember reading but it was really satisfying for some reason.

Moving on to The Alchemist, it says on the back "One of my favourite books" - Will Smith, which I thought was funny. But I'm in the mood for an uplifting one so hopefully its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Brian Lumley - Psychomech.

Actually re-reading all of his books tbh. I has kindle now!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Got a couple for christmas. Read Animal Farm and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Animal Farm was pretty good and I'm a fan of Orwell, I suppose its iconic at this stage. Curious Incident is the easiest book I can remember reading but it was really satisfying for some reason.

Moving on to The Alchemist, it says on the back "One of my favourite books" - Will Smith, which I thought was funny. But I'm in the mood for an uplifting one so hopefully its good.

Great book. Studied it in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

La Roja - Jimmy Burns

Effectively a social & sport history of football in Spain. Made me for me. Very informative and well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

py2006 wrote: »
    Is it a difficult read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Just read the opening part of the alchemist and it is right up my street. Straightforward prose but thought-provoking and interesting in its own right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement