Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I think you could read that a million times and see something new every time.

It's the same with all of his plays, take something each time. I will watch the video over the next few nights too, I try do that each time I work on one of his plays. Of course it is even better when therproduction of the play your reading going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Odysseus wrote: »
    It's the same with all of his plays, take something each time. I will watch the video over the next few nights too, I try do that each time I work on one of his plays. Of course it is even better when therproduction of the play your reading going on.

I really liked David Tennant's Hamlet. Watched it again a couple of weeks ago and he does a really good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Denny M wrote: »
    That Warhammer fantasy?

It is indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished the Black Arrow - Robert Louis Stevenson an entertaining read.

Now on The Wherebouts of Eneas Mcnulty - Sebastian Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I really liked David Tennant's Hamlet. Watched it again a couple of weeks ago and he does a really good job.

Amazing - he does the humour and the silliness of Hamlet in a way I haven't seen in any other portrayal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Another collection of Lovecraft short stories, which includes 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward', probably the best piece I've read by him so far.

Haven't read the 'Dexter Ward' story yet, but did read 'The Colour Out Of Space' last year and absolutely loved it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Colour out of space is another favourite of mine. Would encourage you to read more of his stuff if you have the time!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

The slap by christos tsiolkas

Colour out of space is another favourite of mine. Would encourage you to read more of his stuff if you have the time!

I have a collection of his stories on my Kindle, I read a story or two between novels as I want to spread them out. I read 'The White Ship' on Halloween of this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

The Right Brain Business Plan by Jennifer Lee

for people who work in the creative industry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

I have just stared an Irish book! "Room".

@ScienceNerd

Any other authors you'd recommend who wrote in the same style of Lovecraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

zyanya wrote: »
    I have just stared an Irish book! "Room".

Really very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Hmmm.. I haven't been in here in a bit..

Recent reads..last few months, no particular order..

The Snowman - Jo Nesbo - good
    The Leopard - Jo Nesbo - good
    Headhunters - Jo Nesbo - crap and not at all the usual writing skill.

Perfume - Patrick Suskind - excellent but wierd.

11/22/63 - Steven King - excellent read, wanted it to go on more.

Master and Commander - Patrick O'Brien - good read if you like historical.

Imperium - Robert Harris - excellent
    Lustrum - Robert Harris - excellent
    Ghost - Robert Harris - ok ish

The Search - Nora Roberts - good, not complete slop, bit of suspense.
    Tribute - Nora Roberts - ok ish bit too sloppy and mushy.

Firefight - Chris Ryan - good if you like the action man SAS CIA stuff.

Relentless - Simon Kernick - can't remember, must have been ok.
    Severed - Simon Kernick - can't remember, must have been ok.
    The Last Ten Seconds - Simon Kernick - just finished this, very good.

The Curious Incident of the dog in the nighttime - Mark Haddon - excellent.

Room - Emma Donoghue - excellent (just saw post above)

That's all I can remember for the moment!

Enjoy :)

Some of Steven King's shorts stories would be somewhat similar (he actually has one "Lovecraft" story, part of the Cthulu mythos), other than that I got nothing. Would be interested in hearing some recommendations myself.

Some of Steven King's shorts stories would be somewhat similar (he actually has one "Lovecraft" story, part of the Cthulu mythos), other than that I got nothing. Would be interested in hearing some recommendations myself.

Thanks, I've been reading Stephen King's stuff for the best part of the last 30 years. Have you read anything by Robert R. McCammon - I'd recommend 'Stinger' and 'Swan Song'

I love the John Carpenter film 'The Thing' so I'm planning on reading the original novella sometime soon - Who Goes There?

Nope I haven't, I'll look into him, been neglecting Horror in favour of fantasy the last couple of years so need to correct that.

Nope I haven't, I'll look into him, been neglecting Horror in favour of fantasy the last couple of years so need to correct that.

Keep an eye on this thread, going to bed now, but will reply with more suggestions tomorrow.

@ScienceNerd

William Hope Hodgson - the only story I read of his was The House On The Borderland. I must read more of his works.

I've read all of the early novels of English author James Herbert

As a teenager I read all of the Sven Hassel war books.

As I said in an earlier post - Robert R. McCammon's Stinger and Swansong. I haven't yet read Boy's Life, but I intend to. You might be interested in McCammon's defence of it to a Florida school board where it was to be banned.

The horror novels of Dan Simmons

And lastly (for now) The Keep by F Paul Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Ross O Carroll-Kelly 'Should Have Got Off At Sydney Parade' and 'The Shelbourne Ultimatum', granted it's not the classiest of literature, but it's a good laugh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Re-reading Dan Abnett's Inquisitor series in anticipation of Pariah, his third trilogy in a trilogy of trilogies :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

After struggling around the 2/3 mark of A Clash of Kings, I really started enjoying it and am FINALLY onto the third book. I think I'll find it difficult with new characters and not being able to just google image the name to remember who they were in the TV show :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

After struggling around the 2/3 mark of A Clash of Kings, I really started enjoying it and am FINALLY onto the third book. I think I'll find it difficult with new characters and not being able to just google image the name to remember who they were in the TV show :o

The images of characters that are in my head are usually much better than the ones in the TV show (especially The Hound and The Mountain)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Just finished a reread of American Psycho, started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo over lunch today. I've seen the Swedish films and figured the books are probably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

TPD wrote: »
    Just finished a reread of American Psycho, started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo over lunch today. I've seen the Swedish films and figured the books are probably better.

The books are a million times better. (slight exaggeration maybe)

But i did love the Swedish movies. I wouldnt attempt to watch the 'Americanised' versions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Colour of A Dog Running Away by Richard Gwyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Finished "Cloud Atlas" and really enjoyed it.

Reading "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card. Very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Slattsy wrote: »
    The books are a million times better. (slight exaggeration maybe)

But i did love the Swedish movies. I wouldnt attempt to watch the 'Americanised' versions.

Aye, figured that. Looking forward to getting stuck into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

The secret race,by Taylor Hamilton.
    Its very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Poems of the Dispossessed.
    It's an anthology of Irish misery-lit.

I'm a larf a minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement