Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

"Life After Death" by Damien Echols. Looking forward to seeing Peter Jacksons "West of Memphis" out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Mistborn #1: The Final Empire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭softy2012

Physics of the impossible by Michio Kaku

Title says it all.
    A good read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Auldloon wrote: »
    Must be 15 or more years since I read any of Clive barker but started the books of blood last night. Quality!!!

I lived in London in the late 80's and regularly attended signings. I met Barker, James Herbert, Ramsey Campbell, Graham Masterton, Whitley Streiber, Peter Straub, and others when their books were published.

I recently bought a Blackberry Playbook and even though it's not officially supported by Amazon I was able to install the Kindle app on it - here's how i did it - Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Kingdom of Fear, by the legendary Hunter S. Thompson. great read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭princess3901

I am currently rediing An Accidental Love Story by Claudia Carroll. Not as good as her previous stuff but still alright. I just completed Tilly Bagshawe Angel of Darkness, was a very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I seem to be on a bit of a sports biography thing at the moment, I'm reading Senna versus Prost by Malcolm Folley. Its fascinating stuff, I don't think Formula 1 has ever seen a battle so intense and bitter as the one between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Greekonomics by Vicky Pyrce...nothing more exciting than a € crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Arnold Swarzeneggar's autobiography. His story is pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just finished "Spycatcher" by Peter Wright with Paul Greengrass. It was a very controversial book when it came out in the 1980s & was originally banned in Britain. It deals with Wright's time as a scientist & counter intelligence officer with Mi5 from the late 40s to the mid 1970s. There's some fascinating chapters in it about how they developed various listening devices & intercepted the radio communications of Soviet "illegals" in Britain transmitting messages back home. He also details his part in tackling the famous "Ring of Five" spies (Philby et al) who were recruited in Cambridge in the 1930s & gave Stalin the inside track on British intelligence operations.
    It appears to have become quite a stressful life, trying to figure out who the remaining spies could be or if Russian defectors giving them much of their information on penetration of the service could in fact be double agents, trying to sew divisions within the Western intelligence community. I've always enjoyed the Cold War spy stories of Le Carré with their atmosphere of intrigue & the sense that nothing is as it seems & this is as fascinating as any of his fiction. Definitely worth a read if you can find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Currently reading Ross O'Carroll-Kelly: The Teenage Dirtbag Years. I never touched his stuff before but a friend gave it to me for a read and I have to admit it's a perfect guilty pleasure for the bedside .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Pete Townshend's autobiography

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Looks a heavyweight book.
    Remmy wrote: »
    Currently reading Ross O'Carroll-Kelly: The Teenage Dirtbag Years. I never touched his stuff before but a friend gave it to me for a read and I have to admit it's a perfect guilty pleasure for the bedside .

The first several books are quite entertaining and funny but I felt the later ones were not up to scratch so I stopped reading.

I'm currently getting through Lee Child's A Wanted Man. Good so far and a definite improvement over The Affair which was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Santa is bringing that one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Restarting 11/22/63 by Stephen King! I started it earlier in the year, got 80 pages into it and put it down to concentrate on other things. About time I came back to it.

oooohh post number 2000!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

A Dance with Dragons. Dreams and Dust

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Photoshop compositing secrets by Matt Kloskowski. It's the heart warming tail of one man and his copy of Photoshop CS5.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Shaquille O'Neal's autobiography. The fella is stone mad, it's pretty entertaining stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Candide - Voltaire.

Wonderful, simply wonderful.
    It will cheer you up and by the end of it you'll (hopefully) be able to see that every cloud has a silver lining :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Slattsy wrote: »
    Candide - Voltaire.

Wonderful, simply wonderful.
    It will cheer you up and by the end of it you'll (hopefully) be able to see that every cloud has a silver lining :)

Hmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Just started Salman Rushdie's, Midnight's Children

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

H. P. Lovecraft: Great Tales of Horror

Picked him up for for 12 bucks!

I havent read any of his work before, bought it on a whim

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

A Christmas Carol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

The selfish gene - Dawkins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mars Bar wrote: »

I started "We need to talk about Kevin" last night.

So yeah, finished that last night. Eerie reading it after yesterday's events in Connecticut.

Dunno what I'll move on to tonight. I think I have a few Tess Gerritsen books to go through...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

To be or not to be- Liz Evers.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Jessica Ennis autobiography. Signed copy, an early Christmas present from the OH :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Jessica Ennis autobiography. Signed copy, an early Christmas present from the OH :)

I'm not remotely into sports or sport biographies but I'd read that. Let us know what you think of it!

I'm studying.. but can only study so much. Cracked into Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall by Spike Milligan. It's short enough and I'm half way through already. He does a great turn of phrase and he's very much there on the page. It's a tongue in cheek memoir at times, obviously it would be, but not confusedly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Finished "Burmese Days" by George Orwell a few hours ago, a short enough novel. I really like Orwell's stuff, have been reading a good bit of his work the past few months, both fiction & non fiction. He was probably one of the clearest, unpretentious left wing thinkers of the 20th Century & had a great understanding of the imperialist system, having witnessed the horrors of Burma first hand while working as a policeman there.

Written in the 1930s, when (despite the partial loss of Ireland) the British empire was still very much the British Empire & set in the mid 1920s it paints a fairly sad picture of what life was like for the largely insular & deeply racist British administrators & business people under the Raj. Their social life revolves almost exclusively around the small European Club & the consumption of large quantities of whiskey & gin, often even before breakfast.
    Although they still hold control over the native population by force of arms the scourge of liberalism has arrived & checked somewhat the extent to which they can beat & murder miscreant "n!ggers" - one character reminisces fondly about the days when if one had a problem with one's servant one could simply send him to the local jail with a note reading "please give the bearer 15 lashes"!

Reading it I was struck by the thought that it would be interesting to read something similar from the perspective of the Anglo Irish & the Dublin Castle administration in the years prior to Irish (partial) independence, particularly something written pre 1919 as opposed to decades later with the benefit of hindsight. Would anyone know of any novels like that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement