Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

FionnOh wrote: »
    The Táin - translated by Thomas Kinsella..
    Its brilliant, getting back in touch with my ancient celtic side; blood, gore, battles, sex, the whole lot!

Moving onto The Fall of Yugoslavia next so more of the same I suspect :P

Havent read the book, but the documentary series was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

On a Jo Nesbo/Harry Hole mission at the moment.

Just finished "The Devil's Star", now just began "The Redeemer", enjoying them for the most part, enjoyed last book most so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

11/22/63 by Stephen King, one of his better ones from recent times.
    Also reading it on my new Kindle, the novelty of which has not worn off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Birneybau wrote: »
    On a Jo Nesbo/Harry Hole mission at the moment.

Me too, currently reading "Der Erlöser" (Savior) can't wait to get my hands on the next one "Schneemann" (Not sure of the English name for it - Snowman???)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Apanachi wrote: »
    Me too, currently reading "Der Erlöser" (Savior) can't wait to get my hands on the next one "Schneemann" (Not sure of the English name for it - Snowman???)

:D You are exactly where I am, the English translation of the book you are currently reading is known as "The Redeemer", the next one will indeed be "The Snowman".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I waste so much time of my sorry life on internet forums that I don't have time to read books. :)

Seriously though: "All Hell let loose" by Max Hastings. A history of WWII, with an emphasis on memories, letters and diaries of ordinary people.

Ran aground trying to get through a biography of Trotsky. There's nothing more tedious than Marxist politics. Will get back to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I waste so much time of my sorry life on internet forums that I don't have time to read books. :)

Seriously though: "All Hell let loose" by Max Hastings. A history of WWII, with an emphasis on memories, letters and diaries of ordinary people.

Ran aground trying to get through a biography of Trotsky. There's nothing more tedious than Marxist politics. Will get back to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Hydrogen Sonata - Iain M Banks. Very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

robbiezero wrote: »
    Havent read the book, but the documentary series was brilliant.

That's cheating. If you want to know how high the bar is set 'round these here parts', then I would refer you to post1846, there's no messing about 'looking' at documentaries with that lad.
    He's probably started AND finished reading 'Sironia,Texas' in the time it took you read this post.
    Get reading!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

D-FENS wrote: »
    11/22/63 by Stephen King, one of his better ones from recent times.
    Also reading it on my new Kindle, the novelty of which has not worn off yet.

this is one of the books i've been meaning to read.I can only find hardback though (can't stand hardback).

Is it worth the read?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

pmcmahon wrote: »
    this is one of the books i've been meaning to read.I can only find hardback though (can't stand hardback).

Is it worth the read?

Its great. If your a fan of the author you will like it. Its definitely available in paperback. I saw it in Easons recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Reading The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

sacajawea... anna lee waldo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The Legend of Sigmar.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭princess3901

Just finished reading bared to you by Sylvia Day, was a good read however very similar to 50 shades of grey. Am starting the sequel tonight refleced in you by Sylvia Day.
    When I read 50 shades I flew through it but this book is taking slightly longer.

Next read after this is The Power Trip by Jackie Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

The Virgin Suicides. Really rather good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Pyr0 wrote: »
    The Legend of Sigmar.
    That Warhammer fantasy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Slob By Rex Miller.
    “Terrifying and original. . . Almost too crudely terrifying to be read . . . but it is too compelling to put down. . . . Marks the debut of a writer able to bring the dynamite in both hands. . . . A cause for rejoicing.” –Stephen King “It’s got muscle it hasn’t even used yet. It’s the place where old John D. used to work before Travis McGee got winded. Cain and Dutch Leonard and Jim Thompson and Jim Tully sing in these pages. Caniff’s rhythm and smart talk, Hemingway’s mean, Alfie Bester’s cinematography. It pulls the plow, this writing.” –Harlan Ellison “Terrific! Rex Miller writes like a truck-driver tailgating you at 80 mph. . . . [Chaingang] induces genuine panic—making you read faster than you wanted to—too scared to go on, too terrified to stop.” –Graham Masterton “Rex Miller is terrific. [Chaingang] scratches itches I didn’t know I had.” --Marion Zimmer Bradley ” SLOB really smokes. It’s got muscle it hasn’t even used yet. It’s the place where old John D. used to work before Travis McGee got winded. Cain and Dutch Leonard and Jim Thompson and Jim Tully sing in these pages. Caniff’s rhythm and smart talk, Hemingway’s mean, Alfie Bester’s cinemathography. It pulls the plow, this writing.” –Harlan Ellison “Graphic . . . unsettling . . . brutal . . . hypnotic . . . gritty . . . riveting!” –Rave Reviews “We need these periodic trips into the human heart of darkness. Rex Miller undertakes this journey with uncompromising language and story. This is no fairytale vision of evil. This is the real thing.” –Steve Rasnic Tem “Literally mind-stunning, a Hitchcockian chase through one man’s modern underworld!” –John Coyne “Words like powerful, visceral and monstrous don’t even begin to describe the kind of book SLOB is. There is a primal energy at work here that won’t quit. When you open this book you are grabbed by the throat, yanked down into darkness, and dragged along on a gut-churning ride. From there, it’s a nonstop journey to the final page.” –Thomas F --This text refers to the Kindle Edition edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

pmcmahon wrote: »

Is it worth the read?

Yeah, I’m enjoying it so far. Not sure if you’ve read much King but it’s a mixture of his classic formula - a typical main character for him (Although he’s an English teacher this time instead of a writer, what a leap..) living in a small, ordinary town and coming into contact with something extraordinary.
    The whole time travel thing has been done to death but the “rules” in this one are new ones to me.
    I also did into know much about the whole JFK/Oswald thing before but you don’t need to for this, might actually learn something new about it
    It merges fact and fiction together well, if you’re not a purest who would have a problem with that :)

I also think I seen it in paperback in Tesco, for under a tenner too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm currently reading Darkness Visible by William Styron. He's the same author who wrote Sophie's Choice and Lie Down In Darkness. It's a memoir about his struggle with depression, which almost killed him. A very short book, but I'd really recommend it to anyone who has struggled with depression at all. Reading someone else describing the feeling so perfectly and eloquently has helped me a lot. It's a really beautiful and painfully honest portrait of the illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Only 10 pages in, already think that everything outside my own ego is meaningless :)

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

The Art of War by Sun Tzu. A very interesting book, it kind of makes you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Another collection of Lovecraft short stories, which includes 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward', probably the best piece I've read by him so far.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Reading Excession by Ian M Banks. Only recently getting into The Culture books...excellent stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

up pohnpei

a couple of lads who just entered their thirties and after a quick wikipedia search decided to head off to some remote polynesian island who were at the bottom of the fifa rankings in order to fulfill their dreams of playing/coaching in international football

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm just starting on a re-read of Hamlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm still on "Michael O'Leary: A life in full flight". It's starting to drag combined with the fact that I'm going to bed quite late and only manage a few pages before I drop off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

"What it is like to go to war" by Karl Marlantes. Only started, very interesting so far.

I have a backlog of books to get through! Love reading!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Odysseus wrote: »
    I'm just starting on a re-read of Hamlet.

I think you could read that a million times and see something new every time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement