Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

Ffs, I had two chapters left in my book and I left it behind me somewhere. Very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

eviltwin wrote: »
    Brilliant book, can't praise it enough. The follow up, The Twelve, isn't so great.

Great, thanks for that, will definitely give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just got Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl from the library for my son, first time I've read Dahl since childhood and I'm appreciating all over again what an amazing writer he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

eviltwin wrote: »
    Just got Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl from the library for my son, first time I've read Dahl since childhood and I'm appreciating all over again what an amazing writer he was.

Fantastic writer alright. You should check out some of his adult fiction as well if you haven't already. One of the best things about his children's stuff, apart from the writing itself was the charming artwork by Quentin Blake which accompanied many of the stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Speaking of Roald Dahl, an unpublished chapter from an early draft of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has been released. Charlie and the group (including children not featured in the final version) visit The Vanilla Fudge Room. It can be read here.

It will be the 50th anniversary of the book in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Just read The Alchemist not great very short book.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Hootanany wrote: »
    Just read The Alchemist not great very short book.

I personally hated it, self help motivational crap. Despite the cover screaming about how many copies its sold and awards it won, wasn't for me at all !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just finished All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner. Really enjoyable read. It was about a young wife and mothers struggle with addiction and the impact of that on her relationships, work etc. it was a real eye opener about the lengths addicts would go to for a fix. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Just finished The Courtesan s Lover, a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Would love to read a penguin classic Atm, Some really great books, penguin produces IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Doing my usual and reading multiple books...very slowly...at once. Fiction lovers look away now as I despise Fiction in all it's forms.

Ghost Train to the Eastern Star. - Paul Theroux. As recommended further up the thread, very good reading.
    Last Places - A Journey in the North. - Lawrence Millman. A little underwhelming thus far.
    Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson. Very funny..
    Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery - Robert Kolker Not far into it, but recommended for fans of true crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan.

So far I find the strands of the story compelling, but the narration-type isn't something I expected and it takes a little getting used to (it's told from the point of view of gay men who died of AIDS).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Sycamore Row, John Grisham. He is an author I would never have considered, as I'm usually reading Stephen King. Didn't think I'd have any interest in a courtroom story. A friend gave me a copy of A Time to Kill, recently , and I loved it. Sycamore Row is the sequel, and just happened to be released as I finished it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Phantom by Jo Nesbo at the moment. If you've read any of the earlier books in the Harry Hole series it's the usual entertaining stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Almost finished Pratchett's Night Watch, I'd go as far as saying it's the best of the Discworld novels I've read yet (and I've read a few)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Almost finished Pratchett's Night Watch, I'd go as far as saying it's the best of the Discworld novels I've read yet (and I've read a few)

That's a cracking one alright. Have you read Jingo? That was the book that finally made me see his genuis. Great read.

Yeah Jingo is fantastic as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

blue note wrote: »
    Ffs, I had two chapters left in my book and I left it behind me somewhere. Very annoying!

The butler did it.

Reading Catch 22 at the moment. Can be a funny in places. About two thirds through and not sure if I like it but have smiled at few things. A book that I think would be better as a movie.

Have seen a lot of hate for it on this thread and can understand that but do think it will grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Did you hear that they are making a radio play of Good Omens for release at Christmas?!
    Collie D wrote: »
    The butler did it.

Reading Catch 22 at the moment. Can be a funny in places. About two thirds through and not sure if I like it but have smiled at few things. A book that I think would be better as a movie.

Have seen a lot of hate for it on this thread and can understand that but do think it will grow on me.

It was a good movie, it was released in 1970 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065528/).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭donegal_man

LenaClaire wrote: »
    ........Did you hear that they are making a radio play of Good Omens for release at Christmas?!...............

It's true! :D Confirmed by BBC Radio 4 controller Gwyneth Williams. STORY

• Advertisement

Fairly sure I read there'll be a cameo from both authors :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I've just started The Reader by Bernhard Schlink, which (according to several review extracts inside the cover) is far superior to most Holocaust novels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Currently reading 'Dark Terrors 3' - Stephen Jones & David Sutton (eds.), an anthology of horror stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Collie D wrote: »
    The butler did it.

hate for it? I thought it was brilliant, what did people not like about? I've a fairly sarcastic sense of humour though. I also love how it was banned here back in the day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finally, finally, finally finished the 'A Song of Fire and Ice' books, long old haul.

Have started 'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Eugenides, a writer I really admire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Finished The Bone Clock by David Mitchell. Another very enjoyable read although I still think his novels would benefit from stricter editing, particularly towards the end. Not as good as Cloud Atlas or The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet in my opinion but if you enjoyed his other works I think you'll enjoy this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Looking forward to picking up the Bone Clocks myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I just started Tolstoy's "War and Peace" earlier in the week. I'd always meant to read it and the Google doodle over the week just prompted me to go and get it.

Fairly enjoyable so far, a long way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I'm reading Whit by Iain Banks. It's started off well - focusing on a new religion in Scotland and one of its worshipers deciding not to return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Rereading Northern lights - Philip Pullman

and also reading

High-Rise - J. G. Ballard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement