Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie; I loved Purple Hibiscus and Americanah so I'm looking forward to seeing where this one will go.

Having finished Only Ever Yours I would so so recommend it. It is disturbing and harrowing in places but has some really thought-provoking themes that are addressed in a clever way; really fantastic debut from an Irish author.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I'm reading "Breakfast on Pluto" by Patrick McCabe. It's a good, quick read. I recommend both the book and the film of the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. It's a hard slog, let me tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins by Irvine Welsh.
    It’s an interesting one for him as the narrative is from two female lead points of view (He has written women before but only in short stories as far as I’m aware, unless you count Filth,
    which turned out to be a transvestite
    )
    It’s also set in Miami again, like a previous novel, Crime and a short story or two. I prefer it when he stays in his own backyard but I’m enjoying it, nice bit of subtle lunacy building to a typical Welsh climax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Just started reading Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Though I think I'm after forgetting the book in someones house over the weekend.

Also reading a Graphic Novel called Journalism by Joe Sacco which I would recommend to any one. Its certainly eye opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Just finished The girl that saved the king of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson

A roller coaster of a book, most enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SimplyBlue

Reading, " A Season With Verona " by Tim Parks

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Just started reading Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Though I think I'm after forgetting the book in someones house over the weekend.

Also reading a Graphic Novel called Journalism by Joe Sacco which I would recommend to any one. Its certainly eye opening.

Respect.

I've read both.

I recommend A Farewell To Arms and also Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans Von Luck.

Both beautiful, poignant and most of all heartbreaking.

Incidentally, I'm reading a Dean Koontz one right now..."Brother Odd"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett/Stephen Baxter

and The Richard Burton Diaries by Chris Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Right Ho Jeeves' by P.G. Wodehouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I commented weeks back that I had just started A Song of Fire and Ice: Game of Thrones. I have since gotten through most and am now on After the Feast. I can now safely say I am ready for his next book to come out, but more then that I can watch the Game of Thrones tv series now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Are the Richard Burton Diaries any good?

Just finishing Vanished Years by Rupert Everett, a really good read, the man can write very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

The Pearl - Steinback

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

sgb wrote: »
    Just finished The girl that saved the king of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson

A roller coaster of a book, most enjoyable

Have just started this. Loved his first book and hoping for more of the same dark humour. I assume you've read "The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and disappeared" but would highly recommend if not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finally, after years meaning to, I started To kill a mockingbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Currently reading The Corner by David Simon & Ed Burns. It's a reportage style look at a year in a small area of West Baltimore. Fascinating & depressing in equal measure, it looks at the lives of those caught up in the the drug dealing/addiction of the area.

HBO made a mini-series of it, which then led to The Wire.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

At the moment, I'm reading "In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality" by John Gribbin.

I'm half-way through and would recommend it to anyone who feels like they'd want to try and understand modern physics a little better. The book is keeping it reasonably popular, you won't be bombarded with a lot of mathematics, just the odd formula to show correlations and connections across the world of the minute. If you read and liked "Why Does E=mc2? (And Why Should We Care?)" by Brian Cox, this would be the next book to go to.

And I've also started "The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914" by Christopher Clark.
    I understand that most people are far more interested in WW2, but even having been brought up in Germany and having had years of history lessons on the subject, WW1 still remains a mystery to me and many others - why did it start, exactly? What were the motives of the various countries entering in it, what were they hoping to gain/achieve? How did European stability crumble and vanish within the space of a few weeks?
    And, most worryingly, could that happen again?
    I'm hoping to find some answers in this book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm reading Heligoland by George Drower. It's about a tiny island in the North Sea, just off that German coast, that was once a British colony and the book details the history of British involvement. It's not as interesting as I thought it'd be. It's very factual and detailed but doesn't rely on much first-hand experience and has very little to say about what it was like for the people under British occupation.

When I finish that, I'm going to read Gulag by Anne Applebaum. I got it out of the library a few years ago and really enjoyed but didn't actually get to finish it. It's a brilliantly-detailed book about the experiences of living in the Gulag's in Stalin's USSR. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

status anxiety by Alain de Botton

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

I have just started aloing came a spider

I started to read an Alex Cross book several years ago out of sequence and couldnt get into it. Now I have started from book 1 I have not get a bit more into them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I'm reading the fantastic 11/22/63 by Stephen King at the moment. One of his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

[QUOTE I assume you've read "The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and disappeared" but would highly recommend if not[/QUOTE]

I prefer the second book, The girl who saved the King of Sweeden

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crolekka

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    I'm reading the fantastic 11/22/63 by Stephen King at the moment. One of his best.

Bought it the other day on a whim as I love King's fiction. King and Kennedy seemed to be a magic combo in my eyes! Glad to hear you rate it among his best as I'm just about to get stuck into it. Here's hoping it holds up to the classic King novels!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm reading John Green's Looking For Alaska. It's pretty good, very similar to Paper Towns, which in hindsight was much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Argos catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

'The Silkworm' Robert Galbraith the nom de plume of JK Rowling.

I love how (s)he writes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The back of a shampoo bottle, forgot to bring a magazine in with me.

Brff, plop.

I jest. Actually reading 'Ablutions' by Patrick DeWitt and 'A Feast For Crows:Book 1' by George R.R. Martin.

I really need a break from the 'A Song Of Fire And Ice' books, I must have read about 3,000 pages by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Domestique by Charly Wigelius
    Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Righteous Indignation: Excuse me when I save the world by Andrew Breitbart.

I got Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall off a friend yesterday so I'm looking forward to that next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading The Kill Order by James Dashner. It's a prequel to The Maze Runner.

My main issue with the series (which, in fairness, I did enjoy) was that the protagonist keeps getting knocked out or falling asleep in order to progress the story.

Unfortunately I'm only a few chapters in and the protagonist of this book (a different guy) has already been conked on the head. It doesn't bode well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement