Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Just started 'Neverwhere' by Neil Gaiman. Haven't read any of his stuff before but I've read great reviews so I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

5live wrote: »
    I gave up on it.

Great story but all his philosophical musings bored the st!te out of me.

I've watched a few interviews with him alright, I suppose all those years in solitary had an impact especially considering he was troubled to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Struggling through Wolf Hall at the moment. Some parts are excellent, but then I get confused by other parts. Have to read it slowly to figure out who is saying what. Is there any logic to characters speaking in the book or is that just the style and you have to infer who is saying what.

I mentioned recently that I was struggling with the narrative too. It was pretty confusing trying to suss out the characters and dialogue but I'm persevering. I don't know if things get clearer or I'm just adapting to her style, but it's becoming easier to understand.

BBC are apparently doing a six part series based on Wolf Hall and Bringing Up The Bodies (the sequel) next year. Might just be easier to watch that instead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I can understand anyone struggling through Wolf Hall, I also had some problems initially with the style (and especially her way of doing dialogue), but you do get used to it. My dad also struggled a bit. However, if you persevere both WH & Bring Up the Bodies are completely addictive and riveting, in my opinion. I can't wait for the final book :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading The Dying of the Light, the final Skulduggery Pleasant book. I'm terribly excited to see how it all ends up and so far the book is fast-paced and keeping me interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just started 'Neverwhere' by Neil Gaiman. Haven't read any of his stuff before but I've read great reviews so I'm looking forward to this.

If you enjoy it you should definitely give American Gods a read

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reading David Niven's autobiography 'The Moon is a Balloon' which is hilarious and started into David Mitchell's (not that one) 'The Bone Clocks', big fan of his work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Oh, I love his books.
    Neverwhere is great, but generally I found American Gods and Anansi's Boys better.
    I've got Good Omens sitting on the shelf waiting to be read at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, I love his books.
    Neverwhere is great, but generally I found American Gods and Anansi's Boys better.

Good Omens is one of my favorites!

Just read 1984 again this weekend, it is a good book but at the end of it I am always so depressed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

LenaClaire wrote: »

Just read 1984 again this weekend, it is a good book but at the end of it I am always so depressed :o

Definitely not going to win any awards for feelgood factor. Must give it a re-read at some point.

Reading a novel called I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Was going cheap on Amazon and needed to get over my limit for Super Saver Delivery so picked it up. Only started it last night and a few chapters in but already think it's going to be hard to put down. Central character is some kind of ex CIA/CSI guy and starts with a girl's body dissolving in a bath of acid.

Easy enough read which is what I'm after at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Just finished Chain of Events by Fredrik T. Olsson
    Not my usual choice of genre, but I really enjoyed the suspense throughout. Would recommend as an easy weekend read.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, I love his books.

Good Omens is great. It's being made into a bbc radio series for December:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r4-good-omens

Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz as Aziraphale and Crowley.

Good Omens indeed!*

*May not make sense but sounds like a witty line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

gutenberg wrote: »
    I can understand anyone struggling through Wolf Hall, I also had some problems initially with the style (and especially her way of doing dialogue), but you do get used to it. My dad also struggled a bit. However, if you persevere both WH & Bring Up the Bodies are completely addictive and riveting, in my opinion. I can't wait for the final book :D
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I mentioned recently that I was struggling with the narrative too. It was pretty confusing trying to suss out the characters and dialogue but I'm persevering. I don't know if things get clearer or I'm just adapting to her style, but it's becoming easier to understand.

BBC are apparently doing a six part series based on Wolf Hall and Bringing Up The Bodies (the sequel) next year. Might just be easier to watch that instead :P

She changed her style slightly for Bring up the a Bodies, which made it easier to read. I adored these books, but struggled with A Place of Greater Safety. It's enjoyable but dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

At the moment I'm reading One Summer America 1927 by Bill Bryson. It's an enjoyable account of everything that happened in America in that very busy summer - from baseball and aviation to murder and the birth of television.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ken Follet Edge of Eternity

Really enjoyed the first two books of the trilogy.

This one hasnt grabbed me as much so far (maybe as I find the time less interesting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Just about to start The Sins of the Father- the second book from the Clifton chronicles by Jeffrey Archer. The first book was very good so am looking forward to this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »

I finished Wolf Hall on Friday and started on Bringing Up the Bodies last night, really enjoyed WH and BUTB is good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Boots234 wrote: »
    Just about to start The Sins of the Father- the second book from the Clifton chronicles by Jeffrey Archer. The first book was very good so am looking forward to this one

Really enjoyed the first one as well, found the next two a serious let down!

hope you enjoy it more than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Finished Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale yesterday (loved it) and am now re-reading Philip Pullman's Once Upon a Time in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Finished Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale yesterday (loved it) and am now re-reading Philip Pullman's Once Upon a Time in the North.

Just started it last night on recommendation of housemate, not yet into the swing of it.

Finished 'The Bone Clocks' the other night, mostly enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I finished "More Fool Me" by Stephen Fry last night.
    Quite disappointing. It starts by rehashing the previous two books and then a whole load of diary entries from the early 90's that show just how much cocaine and drinking he did in the Groucho and then it comes to an abrupt finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Couldn't finish 1984 :o

Dark stuff is usually no problem for me, even managed to slog through Blood Meridian, but for some reason I knew what was coming and couldn't face reading the last quarter of it. Wiki'd it to make sure I was right and left it at that :pac:

On the brighter side of things I'm re reading Byron's back catalog, thoroughly enjoy all of his books, though oddly One Sumeer didn't grab me as much. Home is exceptional and the Short History of Nearly Everything is one of my favourite books ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just finished What Kind of Mother Are You? By Paula Daly. A psychological thriller and debut novel. Started off really promising, a little disappointed with the twist.

Currently reading We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. It's had amazing reviews and although Im only about thirty pages in I am really enjoying it, very quirky and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

The Best of H.P. Lovecraft. Tis the season! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,860 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Ken Follet Edge of Eternity

Really enjoyed the first two books of the trilogy.

This one hasnt grabbed me as much so far (maybe as I find the time less interesting)

Let me know how you get on with it, have read the first two and loved them, so am interested in hearing how this one reads before I buy it. Will probably wait til my brother buys it and borrow his :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I am currently reading Writing Movies for (Fun and) Profit. I have absolutely no intention of ever becoming a writer let alone a screenwriter but so far it's an insightful account into the machine that is Hollywood. A very enjoyable funny read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Miriam got naughty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

Dial Hard wrote: »

I just finished reading the Handmaid's Tale last week (it was one of the free Kindle unlimited books), and reading the reaction to it when it was first issued was interesting - people scoffed that something like that could happen in the 20th century. Then, of course, the Taliban happened...

I just finished Gone Girl two nights ago. I felt like it started off at a good clip, but it is hard to finish a book when, as you get to the end, you find the main characters to be loathsome. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 figges

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

500 pgs in (of 800 !) - v sadly losing the will to carry on with it - characterisation and story becoming a bit unbelievable - anyone advise as whether its worth carrying on ?

Loved The Secret History - so long since I read that barely remember the storyline - but the amazing sense of getting drawn into a story so you almost feel part of it remains. For that I stuck 500 pgs of The Goldfinch - its been good in parts but ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

ed james is a Scottish writer, i love his books, first in his detective series is free on Kindle at the moment too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement