Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've just finished "The Farseer Trilogy" and I loved every bit of it . For those of you have read all the Robin hobb books, should I continue to the liveship trader Trilogy or should i skip to the tawny man Trilogy?

Liveship Traders. It isn't as good as Tawny Man IMO but its better in many people's. There would be one or two spoilers as well as they're in the same world.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

Just finished "An Astronauts guide to life on Earth" by Chris Hadfield.

He talks about his life and how he became an astronaut. A fascinating man.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've just finished "The Farseer Trilogy" and I loved every bit of it . For those of you have read all the Robin hobb books, should I continue to the liveship trader Trilogy or should i skip to the tawny man Trilogy?

They're both great reads tbh. Depends if you want to continue with the Fitz and fool or want to take a break. There is cross over between the Liveship Traders and the Farseer/Tawny Man stories, but nothing essential that you'll miss by going straight to Tawny Man trilogy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 lostHorizons64

Some Terence Mckenna books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I've just started Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt, and next up in my young public fiction reading list is The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar. Looking forward to that one as I really enjoyed Holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll go on in order so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

On to Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo,enjoying it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Reading a book called Die Ordnung der Sterne über Como by Monika Zeiner. It was nominated for the German equivalent of the Booker Prize. It's a terrible work of self-absorbed rubbish. I will finish it, but unless your thing is reading about feckless idiots in their 20's listening to avant-garde jazz, having moments of doubt about their useless existence, and engaging in ludicrous sexual scenarios - then I'd recommend you give it a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll go on in order so. :D
    Don't skip the Liveship Traders! They add such a depth of understanding to the later books. It's different characters alright, but things all tie together eventually.

I really loved those books. I honestly felt like I lived on those ships while I read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just started Wind in the willows, think Moly might be a bit of a softy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Reading a book called Die Ordnung der Sterne über Como by Monika Zeiner. It was nominated for the German equivalent of the Booker Prize. It's a terrible work of self-absorbed rubbish. I will finish it, but unless your thing is reading about feckless idiots in their 20's listening to avant-garde jazz, having moments of doubt about their useless existence, and engaging in ludicrous sexual scenarios - then I'd recommend you give it a miss.

In that case I wouldn't recomment The Secret History either. Or The Goldfinch, for that matter.

Started Justin Cronin's The Passage last night. Buried in it til 1am, so I was wrecked all day today, and all I could think about was getting home to pick it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

delw wrote: »
    On to Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo,enjoying it so far

Same here it's my first Jo Nesbo book

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just started "And the Mountains Echoed". Have read some mixed reviews which I found surprising as I think his first two books were brilliant and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like them.

Only a chapter in so no opinion yet but am hoping it's as good as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Collie D wrote: »
    Just started "And the Mountains Echoed". Have read some mixed reviews which I found surprising as I think his first two books were brilliant and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like them.

Only a chapter in so no opinion yet but am hoping it's as good as the others.
    It is good but not as good as all the others mainly because of the change of location in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Dial Hard wrote: »
    In that case I wouldn't recomment The Secret History either. Or The Goldfinch, for that matter.

Started Justin Cronin's The Passage last night. Buried in it til 1am, so I was wrecked all day today, and all I could think about was getting home to pick it up again.
    Will you let us know how you get on with The Passage, I have looked at it several times in Easons but never got round to buying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Dial Hard wrote: »

I actually bought an ancient greek dictionary after reading the secret history... I enjoyed it you could say :P

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Read The Secret History myself not too long ago, now I'm determined to read the Illiad :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Read The Secret History myself not too long ago, now I'm determined to read the Illiad :pac:

Should have seen the face on the guy in easons when I asked :P read it in translation yolo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dusty Fanlight

book i am reading at the moment is The Ghost Map a history of the 1850s cholera epidemic in London. Really good.

A topical book I would recommend is The Hot Zone. I cant think of the author but its about the Ebola virus. I read it in 1997 and it was brilliant but scared the bejesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Finished Open Secret, the autobiography of Stella Rimington, the first publicly announced Director General of Mi5, also first female head.

Nothing particularly earth shattering operationally, obviously, but interesting insight into the conflicts between privacy in a democracy and protection and security of society. Also very current was her views and perceptions on the KGB after the fall of Communism, after meetings in Moscow. I don't think she'd much faith in them reforming to Western ways!

Her battles against, what was a very chauvinistic service in the 60's are interesting, she had to break through the glass ceiling several times. Also juggling single parenthood with such a powerful job, often 24 hour a day and regular trips abroad.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

the stranger beside me by Ann rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

8mv wrote: »
    Finding my 'to read' shelf empty, I raided my daughters bookshelves and found Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction by Sue Townsend. I had read the original Mole book when I was a teenager, but had forgotten all about him. This was a very pleasant surprise, witty and light on the surface but with a none too subtle edge underneath. I might go back and check out the ones I skipped.
    Next up - a second reading of Wolf Hall.

I was just reading through this thread and decided to look up the book you spoke of as I too loved the original, what with me being around 13 & 3/4 when I read it. Then I seen there was a Adrian Mole - The Prostate Years, and so decided to check her wiki to see how many of the series there actually was that I also was unaware of and unfortunately, and rather sadly, I see that Sue died in April.

Will do my best to read all installments written since the original now for sure, but sad that we will never read about Adrian getting nearer to getting his bus pass, aged 59 & 3/4.
    Townsend had suffered ill health for several years. She had TB peritonitis at 23 and suffered a heart attack in her 30s. She developed diabetes in the 1980s. It was a condition she struggled with, believing herself to be the "world’s worst diabetic." The condition led to Townsend being registered blind in 2001, and she wove this theme into her work.

After suffering kidney failure, she underwent dialysis and in September 2009 she received a kidney from her son Sean after a two-year wait for a donor. She also had degenerative arthritis, which left her wheelchair bound. By this time, she was dictating to Sean, her eldest son, who worked as her typist. Surgery was carried out at Leicester General Hospital and Townsend spoke to the BBC about her illness on an appeal for National Kidney Day.

Townsend died at her home on 10 April 2014 following a stroke. Stephen Mangan, who portrayed Adrian Mole in a 2001 television adaptation, stated that he was "greatly upset to hear that Sue Townsend has died. One of the warmest, funniest and wisest people I ever met." Townsend was survived by her husband, four children and ten grandchildren.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Vojera wrote: »
    Don't skip the Liveship Traders! They add such a depth of understanding to the later books. It's different characters alright, but things all tie together eventually.

I really loved those books. I honestly felt like I lived on those ships while I read them.

I bought the Liveship Traders trilogy yesterday so when I'm finished reading The Confession by John Grisham. I'm powering through it just to get started on LTT!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Will you let us know how you get on with The Passage, I have looked at it several times in Easons but never got round to buying it!

Brilliant book, can't praise it enough. The follow up, The Twelve, isn't so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

the stranger beside me by Ann rule

I read that in two days, couldn't put it down.

Just starting We Were Liars by E Lockhart. Also reading The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch and Above Suspicion by Lynda La Plante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I bought the Liveship Traders trilogy yesterday so when I'm finished reading The Confession by John Grisham. I'm powering through it just to get started on LTT!
    I hope you enjoy it. In fact, I know you will! :D

I'm currently reading The Drowning by Camilla Lackberg. I only picked it up as there was a three-for-two deal on in a newsagents and I couldn't find a third to go with the two I wanted. Apparently it's the sixth in the series (oops), but it seems to be part of the influx of Nordic crime writers so it doesn't matter if you just dip into it.

So far it has been fairly slow and there are a lot of names flying around so keeping track of who's who has been a bit tricky. But I feel that the groundwork is done now and things are starting to come together into a proper mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭smurfette2212

I've just finished 'Zone of Interest' by Martin Amis, about to start 'The Miniaturist' by Jessie Burton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Reading Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo and I'm engrossed. It was recommended by a fellow Boardsie and is about life in a Mumbai slum where the writer spent three years. Only a few chapters in but loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

Currently reading Dead Like You by Peter James.
    Half way through and I'm really enjoying it.Subject is a tad touchy and quite graphic at times.
    I'm loving the plot though, Plenty of twists and turns so I'm definitely not getting bored!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

eviltwin wrote: »
    I read that in two days, couldn't put it down.

Just starting We Were Liars by E Lockhart. Also reading The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch and Above Suspicion by Lynda La Plante

good stuff.poor Ted.he had it all really .in some parts I was rooting for him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement