Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Irishchick wrote: »
    At the min I'm reading

Confessions of a sociopath
    Broken monsters
    The boy who never was (nearly finished)
    Naming Jack the Ripper ( New one based on the new evidence around the shawl)
    Oh, I'll be interested to hear your opinion on this one. I thought it sounded interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

One Summer by Bill Bryson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Re reading the garden of Eden by Hemmingway. Spent ages trying to find it for a kindle. Going between that and puckoon. Two of my favourite books!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Carrie by Stephen King.

Had never read any of his stuff until recently but was inspired to by this thread. Started with The Shining and IT as I had seen the films and thought they would be a good introduction - to this day I still don't trust clowns.

Think I am hooked already. A really excellent storyteller.

Carrie is the first King novel that I haven't seen the movie. Sixty pages in and loving it already.

I usually buy five or six books at a time on Amazon. Plan to get one King novel with every shipment from now on and get through his catalogue in chronological order - a little anal trait of mine to read books by oldest publishing date first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

The wolf by joseph smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,864 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Read Ken Follets - The Pillars Of The Earth - loved it .

Am now reading the sequel to it , World Without End.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished To Kill a Mockingbird last week. I can't recommend it enough. Loved it start to end. How the hell I never read it before? To the end of the book I was reading it slowly as I didn't want to finish it. Scout is priceless, her humour and point view on the serious issues discussed is pure gold.

Started The Shining. With all the hype about it, my expectations are set on high. Let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I am re-reading Slaughterhouse 5 for banned books week. I have not read it in years, such an good book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

At the minute I'm reading George Orwell's 1984. So far it's good, not the best book ever and I don't think I ever would have bought it myself but it was a gift so I said I'd give it a go and I'm surprised by it tbh.

Next on my list is Stephen King's 11/22/63, has anyone any reviews on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

chops018 wrote: »
    At the minute I'm reading George Orwell's 1984. So far it's good, not the best book ever and I don't think I ever would have bought it myself but it was a gift so I said I'd give it a go and I'm surprised by it tbh.

Yeah read it during the summer, I was enthralled reading it and couldn't put it down. Funny you mention that book they announced yesterday that HULU are making a tv series on the book. If it's anything near the source material, it'll be a show worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Yeah read it during the summer, I was enthralled reading it and couldn't put it down. Funny you mention that book they announced yesterday that HULU are making a tv series on the book. If it's anything near the source material, it'll be a show worth checking out.

Yeah I read an article this morning about the same thing. That's good, I can't wait to get into it so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

chops018 wrote: »

I think its one of those books if you read it again it gets better,its a strange concept for a book the first time you read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm reading One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson. I think every second book I've read this year has been a Bryson book. I find his style extremely readable. I'm enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I'm reading One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson. I think every second book I've read this year has been a Bryson book. I find his style extremely readable. I'm enjoying it so far.

I still laugh when I think of some of the incidents and problems he describes in his books- and I don't have to be reading them at the time! Notes from a Big Country is probably my favourite Bryson, though they're all great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "Saigon" by Anthony Grey.

Read it years ago and came across it by chance for the kindle, a great read and a good insight to the whole of the Vietnam saga, from early 1900's French Indo-China to the fall of Saigon.

I read this initially in my late teens/early twenties, and was very impressed with it. Now I realise there is a very good reason why some books go out of print. I just read it again, and I have to say, it is one boring, condescending, pile of rubbish. Complete and utter drivel. Not only that, but when I spotted it for the Kindle, I bought one of his other books as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Hell's Angel by Ralph "Sonny" Barger

Decent enough read. Had read Hunter S Thompson's book when he hung out with Barger and his gang so interesting getting another perspective. Also read Keith Richard's autobiography a while back and found myself digging it out to compare their versions of Altamont.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Stephen Kings 'The Dark Tower', the last book of his Dark Tower series. It's a re-read, and I'm already getting the sinking feeling in my stomach remembering the ending. The rest of the series are terrific though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

Hidden City: Adventures and Explorations in Dublin

I read a review in the Metro yesterday and thought the concept sounded great. A local Dub exploring less well known parts of Dublin...exploring underground tunnels and sewers...travelling around by bike, train, luas etc.

The first chapter is entirely about the author walking through estates in Tallaght and describing the drap concrete housing estates and motorways. I fell asleep. Heres hoping it gets better.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started The Illiad today. Always loved Greek legend as a child, so really hoping I enjoy it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just took a break from the Liveship Trader's to read Stephen Fry's "More Fool Me". I'm finding it more jumpy and rambly but a good read nonetheless. Got it for £2.99 for the kindle too so not bad for a brand new release!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Doped by Jamie Reid
    Those horses are fierce animals for the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Currently working my way through the Daphne du Maurier books,reading 'jamacian Inn' at the moment. I doubt any of them will beat Rebecca!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Just took a break from the Liveship Trader's to read Stephen Fry's "More Fool Me". I'm finding it more jumpy and rambly but a good read nonetheless. Got it for £2.99 for the kindle too so not bad for a brand new release!

Gotta love Kindle special deals :) I'm reading it at the moment, once you get used to his style of writing its a decent enough read.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just started Life after Death by Damien Echols.

It's about a former death row inmate. Some of you might of heard of the West Memphis three case in the 90s where three teenagers in Arkansas were convicted of a triple homicide on very flimsy grounds (no physical evidence at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

eviltwin wrote: »
    Gotta love Kindle special deals :) I'm reading it at the moment, once you get used to his style of writing its a decent enough read.

I've read Moab Is My Washpot and The Fry Chronicles so I'm used to his style. This is just slightly more...manic!

Struggling through Wolf Hall at the moment. Some parts are excellent, but then I get confused by other parts. Have to read it slowly to figure out who is saying what. Is there any logic to characters speaking in the book or is that just the style and you have to infer who is saying what.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Struggling through Wolf Hall at the moment. Some parts are excellent, but then I get confused by other parts. Have to read it slowly to figure out who is saying what. Is there any logic to characters speaking in the book or is that just the style and you have to infer who is saying what.

Gave up after one chapter for that exact reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've read Moab Is My Washpot and The Fry Chronicles so I'm used to his style. This is just slightly more...manic!

Just bought it there as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just started Life after Death by Damien Echols.

It's about a former death row inmate. Some of you might of heard of the West Memphis three case in the 90s where three teenagers in Arkansas were convicted of a triple homicide on very flimsy grounds (no physical evidence at all)
    I gave up on it.

Great story but all his philosophical musings bored the sh!te out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

The dying hour by Rick Mofina. It's a great thriller a bit gorey in parts but a great read so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement