Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Just finished Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Picked it up for a euro without knowing what it was about, I just remembered I had heard the name somewhere.

It's a memoir of Burroughs', frankly, insane childhood. I put the book down a few times and said aloud:
    "Is everyone crazy?"

To put it in context, I was reading about the terrible violence in Libya at the same time and occasionally took a break from Running With Scissors because reading about Libya was less disturbing.

Mostly read the follow up "Dry", never got to the end. Another £1 Kindle jobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,887 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Halfway through C.J Sansom - Winter In Madrid . Quite enjoying it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

International Perspectives on Motivation: Language Learning and Professional Challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rereading Stark by Ben Elton. First published over 20 years ago and probably more relevant now that it even was then. From a time Elton was still funny and nobody escaped his wrath!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Well I finished The Kite Runner. The level of sadness and suffering in it absolutely broke my heart. A brilliant read though.

I've started Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier, and it's not really drawing me in. But I shall persevere.

• Advertisement

Well I finished The Kite Runner. The level of sadness and suffering in it absolutely broke my heart. A brilliant read though.

I've started Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier, and it's not really drawing me in. But I shall persevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Catching up on some classics at the moment (thank you Gutenberg). Just finished metamorphosis by Franz Kafka and have just started Les Mis.
    I liked Metamorphosis, very well written and thought provoking. Also very short so you can zip through it if it seems a bit odd, Les Mis on the other hand will not be zipped through I don't think:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just started the Art of War, can see it being a book I have to read slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Reading two at the moment. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and Close My Eyes by Sophie McKenzie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »

if you think thats sad try a thousand splendid suns.

I must try his new one,can anybody vouch for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smurfette2212

'And The Mountains Echoed' is really wonderful - I know it is a cliché, but I couldn't put it down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Life After Death: Eighteen Years on Death Row by Damien Echols.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's awful unfortunately. It's very disjointed and there are several abortive story lines. When compared to his two other wonderful books it's just totally at odds with his style. Critics are totally divided so you may like it but I was sorry I read it, was left feeling very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Sounds interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

judgefudge wrote: »
    Sounds interesting!

Was excellent. Just finished it.

Would recommend watching this short little video first though:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just finished finished reading the last of the Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston.

Vampire novel with a difference.... Definitely not Twilight.

Very enjoyable and recommended by Boardies.

What now? Need to find some new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have the Devils Knot on my too read list and have just added this one.

currently working my way through Frankie Boyle's My Sh!t Life so Far, laugh out loud funny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ablelocks wrote: »
    Savage Continent - Europe in the aftermath of World War II

very interesting but frightening too.

Bought this on your recommendation and almost finished it. A period in history that is either forgotten/ignored and I for one knew very little about
    5live wrote: »
    Great book. Really enjoyed it, if 'enjoyed' is a word that can be used in this case.

My sentiments exactly.

Was put off at first by the tiny font and thought it could be a slog of a read but easy to get into and a fascinating read. Would 100% recommend to any history buffs, even casual ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm reading Innocence. Dean Koontz books can be a bit hit and miss, some are hard to put down and some can be too dull to pick up. This one is gripping. I can't really say much about it as it would be easy to give too much away. I was reading til almost 2am this morning and only stopped as I didn't want the lamp to keep my husband awake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

For those interested in history and in how we got into our current mess, I would recommend "Ship of Fools -- How Stupidity and Corruption Sank the Celtic Tiger" by Fintan O'Toole. Faber & Faber, ISBN 978-0-571-25872-7. It can be downloaded in digital version from Amazon.

It is a glaring indictment of Irish politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭KH25

Just finished 'The Running Man' by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman). Good read, very different to the film!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

KH25 wrote: »
    Just finished 'The Running Man' by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman). Good read, very different to the film!

Great little book isn't it?

Reading David Gemmels "Waylander".

First fantasy novel since Lord of the Rings many many years ago.

Loving it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm just finishing up Auschwitz, The Nazis and The Final Solution by Laurence Rees. It's a very interesting account of how the camp came to be, how the operations there were ramped up over time and what the Allies knew about the place before it was liberated by the Soviets. There's some interesting accounts from survivors as well.

I'm just finishing up Auschwitz, The Nazis and The Final Solution by Laurence Rees. It's a very interesting account of how the camp came to be, how the operations there were ramped up over time and what the Allies knew about the place before it was liberated by the Soviets. There's some interesting accounts from survivors as well.

It's a really good book, very harrowing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭baron von something

just finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie.very good

now on to Fragile Things, a short story collection by Neil Gaiman

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In My Room by Jim Lucey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Family and Community in Ireland - Conrad Arensberg and Solon Kimball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

The Midwife's Here by Linda Fairley
    Loving it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

The body economic