Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'A Storm of Swords:Blood and Gold', the 2nd part of the 3rd book of 'A Song of Ice and Fire'. While I'm enjoying the books a lot they are a big fcuking undertaking. Feel like I'm neglecting my other books that I have yet to read.

Also have 'I Am The Secret Footballer' and 'Tenth Of December' on the go for whenever I feel like having a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I just can't get into Murakami. I understand why people like his style but I don't know, it just doesn't grab me at all.
    There must be something wrong with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm currently re-reading 'The Martian' by Andy Weir.
    Great book, I highly recommend it for science nerds (there's maths in it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Prince of Thorns. Honestly found it very cliched dark fantasy though with some interesting ideas. Moving on to something different with "The Sound of Things Falling"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm reading 'Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl'.

Read it years ago when I was a lot younger and at that time, my knowledge of the Holocaust was relatively limited. Reading it now is a very different experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

vitani wrote: »

Read it years ago when I was a lot younger and at that time, my knowledge of the Holocaust was relatively limited. Reading it now is a very different experience.
    That's a really good idea. I read it myself when I was about twelve so I imagine it'd be a totally different book to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

vitani wrote: »

I finished reading that book last week. It really is fantastic . Anne had a really great way of thinking about things.

Next book I shall read is once upon a more enlightened time by James Finn Garner. It is apparently a New York Times best seller, so it looks promising .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I've just finished 'I am a Killer Robot who wishes to annihilate Humanity' by Sergi Lebostowski.
    Very interesting take on the 'killer robot' genre as the novel is told from the persepctive of a killer robot (identified only as automat 2364d) as he goes about his daily routine of hunting down and killing human survivors of a great war between robots and humanity.
    In amongst all the 'kill all humans' core level functions of our narrator, we learn that there is a very different automat lurking under the surface, one who appreciates pre-renascence art and nice sunsets.

I've just started a book recommended to me by a friend call 'Badger Froth' by Simon Fullersome. Early days, but it seems good so far. The story revolves around the unconventional friendship which develops between Stanley, a mid-50's chartered accountant, struggling to adapt to life after his recent divorce and job loss, and Lemmy, a mostly nocturnal, wisecracking badger, whose views on life and comedy quips spice up what could have just been another human/badger buddy story.

I've just finished 'I am a Killer Robot who wishes to annihilate Humanity' by Sergi Lebostowski.
    Very interesting take on the 'killer robot' genre as the novel is told from the persepctive of a killer robot (identified only as automat 2364d) as he goes about his daily routine of hunting down and killing human survivors of a great war between robots and humanity.
    In amongst all the 'kill all humans' core level functions of our narrator, we learn that there is a very different automat lurking under the surface, one who appreciates pre-renascence art and nice sunsets.

I've just started a book recommended to me by a friend call 'Badger Froth' by Simon Fullersome. Early days, but it seems good so far. The story revolves around the unconventional friendship which develops between Stanley, a mid-50's chartered accountant, struggling to adapt to life after his recent divorce and job loss, and Lemmy, a mostly nocturnal, wisecracking badger, whose views on life and comedy quips spice up what could have just been another human/badger buddy story.
    These both sound really interesting. Have you got links for them? My google-fu is lacking today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Currently reading "A Writer At War: Vasily Grossman with the Red Army 1941-1945" by by Vasily Grossman, Antony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

I just can't get into Murakami. I understand why people like his style but I don't know, it just doesn't grab me at all.

well that's okay, i have to say i am not a hu-u-uge fan of his style, it is in a way easy writing, but i like his stories so the style does not bother me much.. stories are still complex and let you imagine and 'experience' more than of what is written directly on the paper : )

at least it is how it is for me : )

ps. did you try Norwegian wood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Joya wrote: »
    well that's okay, i have to say i am not a hu-u-uge fan of his style, it is in a way easy writing, but i like his stories so the style does not bother me much.. stories are still complex and let you imagine and 'experience' more than of what is written directly on the paper : )

at least it is how it is for me : )

ps. did you try Norwegian wood?
    Yes, and I read all of IQ84 as well, they just did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Only Ever Yours by Irish author Louise O'Neill. It's a dystopian novel, very reminiscent of Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, although O'Neill sets hers in a school, that's training women (called 'eves') for one of 3 purposes in life - companion, concubine, or chastity. I think it might technically be classed as Young Adult, but the messages about body image and female beauty are really compelling: this is a world where that is all that matters, the eves aren't even taught to read and write. I would really really recommend it, it's very powerful stuff.

I'm now reading Armageddon Outta Here which is a collection of short stories and a novella set in the world of Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. The final book in the series is out next month. They're aimed at younger readers (early to mid-teens, maybe?) but they're a fantastic read, whatever your age. Some very Pratchett-eseque humour and a good way of getting young people into books. And the author is Irish too, which is nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I Am Pilgrim

by Terry Hayes

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Vojera wrote: »
    That's a really good idea. I read it myself when I was about twelve so I imagine it'd be a totally different book to me now.

There's a good chance that you read a censored version of Anne Frank's Diary. If you're re-reading it I would definitely try to find an uncensored copy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-things-that-anne-was-really-frank-about-1359567.html
    The public is to be given its first chance to read the unedited version of Anne Frank's diary in a move by her cousin to halt her "canonisation" in the eyes of the world.

The definitive new translation restoring her most outspoken remarks and diary entries - censored by Anne's father, Otto Frank, before it was published in 1947 - will be printed by Viking in the UK next February.
    The unexpurgated version, previously only available in a critical edition studded by footnotes and read by academics, is 30 per cent longer than the old edition which has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I loved the wind up bird chronicle and thought "I'm a lover of murakami" and then moved onto kafka on the shore and hated it from the very start.His books are very marmite.

Any suggestions on a book that hits the ground running? Going away for a few days but don't want to be only getting in halfway through

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

gutenberg wrote: »
    Reading Only Ever Yours by Irish author Louise O'Neill. It's a dystopian novel, very reminiscent of Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, although O'Neill sets hers in a school, that's training women (called 'eves') for one of 3 purposes in life - companion, concubine, or chastity. I think it might technically be classed as Young Adult, but the messages about body image and female beauty are really compelling: this is a world where that is all that matters, the eves aren't even taught to read and write. I would really really recommend it, it's very powerful stuff.

Got a sample from Kindle and it looks really intriguing so I'm going to buy it, thanks for the recommendation, I'd never heard of it or the author before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Reading Blacklands by Belinda Bauer, its not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Just finished The Runaway, by Martina Cole, loved it, bought Revenge there yesterday, he latest book. so far so good, she really knows how to pull you in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Reading Paper Towns by John Green, it's all right. Started with The Fault in Our Stars, then An Abundance of Katherines, and so Paper Town at the moment.
    I like working my way through an author when I enjoyed the first book. In this case I kind of have to read this particular author anyway (for work).
    An Abundance of Katherines is my favourite so far.

Easy reading, pleasant if you don't mind a teenage, usually nerdy narrator and context.

I am pleasantly surprised with this new teenage fiction trend, I read Patrick Ness and Susan Collins and loved these.

In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut.
    About 1/3 of the way through, kind of unusual narration style but I'm liking it. I really wanna just pack a bag and go off travelling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Bout halfway through catcher in the rye. I put off reading it for years because I'd heard it was overrated and Holden caufield is an annoying character.. have to say I'm pleasantly surprised so far, but I know nothing about the story so I'll reserve judgement til the end!

judgefudge wrote: »
    Bout halfway through catcher in the rye. I put off reading it for years because I'd heard it was overrated and Holden caufield is an annoying character.. have to say I'm pleasantly surprised so far, but I know nothing about the story so I'll reserve judgement til the end!

yea i've never read that book either somehow just didn't "pull me".. (because that is how books are choosing me rather than the other way around :d)))

let me know once you finish it how it was : )

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Joya wrote: »
    yea i've never read that book either somehow just didn't "pull me".. (because that is how books are choosing me rather than the other way around :d)))

let me know once you finish it how it was : )

Just finished! I'd definitely give it a chance if I were you, it's such a short book and easy to read. Have to say I enjoyed it. Wouldn't be my favourite book of all time mind you. Good read though. I've heard so much about Holden caufield being such an annoying spoilt character that caused many people to hate the book. I can see where they're coming from but to be honest I found him to be quite real, and some moments were really touching.

judgefudge wrote: »
    Just finished! I'd definitely give it a chance if I were you, it's such a short book and easy to read. Have to say I enjoyed it. Wouldn't be my favourite book of all time mind you. Good read though. I've heard so much about Holden caufield being such an annoying spoilt character that caused many people to hate the book. I can see where they're coming from but to be honest I found him to be quite real, and some moments were really touching.

thanks i will give it a go asap, i even think i have the book on some of the shelves : )..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just finished Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Picked it up for a euro without knowing what it was about, I just remembered I had heard the name somewhere.

It's a memoir of Burroughs', frankly, insane childhood. I put the book down a few times and said aloud:
    "Is everyone crazy?"

To put it in context, I was reading about the terrible violence in Libya at the same time and occasionally took a break from Running With Scissors because reading about Libya was less disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Just looked up "Running With Scissors", looks very interesting. I assumed that he was a relation of William Burroughs (of Junkie & Naked Lunch fame) but it seems that Burroughs is just his adopted pen-name. Perhaps he took it as a homage to that writer. Might add it to my list in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Custardpi wrote: »
    Just looked up "Running With Scissors", looks very interesting. I assumed that he was a relation of William Burroughs (of Junkie & Naked Lunch fame) but it seems that Burroughs is just his adopted pen-name. Perhaps he took it as a homage to that writer. Might add it to my list in any case.

I have a vague recollection of watching a film of the same name a couple of years ago. I just remember as being very weird.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Currently reading 'Halloween II' by Jack Martin(Dennis Etchison). First one was very good, although by a completely different author(Curtis Richards, if memory serves).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement