Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options
1114115116117118120»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There are only two corridors now - Coastal Corridor (Primary Option) and Field Corridor (Secondary Option). North of Newcastle, the Coastal Corridor looks to be up against the rail line but not east (sea side) of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's remarkably little information in the Wicklow consultation - they can either go along the coast or inland. I could have told them that 5 years ago when this was first proposed.

I'll go along to the presentation on the 18th and see if there's anything extra to be found out, but I don't expect to be riding my bike along it until I'm probably long retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yeah, having an Emerging Preferred Route Corridor which actually is two corridors which together encompass almost 50% of the Study Area is a bit stupid. If there are parts of the Secondary Corridor which they think will be used, these should be incorporated into the Preferred Route and the parallel part of the Primary Corridor along with the rest of the Secondary Corridor discarded. It looks as though they didn't complete the previous step but when ahead an Emerging Preferred Route anyway (by definition, there should be one route, not two)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭timmyntc

An update on this - it seems that in order to be a funded project by TII all projects must adhere to TII project management phases, such that projects can be compared and appraised against other Greenway projects nationally, (e.g for allocation of funds to one project vs another).

I also think that part of it is to prevent judicial reviews of projects. TII phasing is definitely structured with that in mind also, so if a project wasn't conforming prior (which this one 100% wasn't) then it makes sense they dictate you must redo all phases as a condition of funding.

They did say that previous work and route selection will be allowed to influence this new route, but this is technically a distinct new project.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was down the Ferbane/ Cloghan way today. Looks like the final section of the Offaly share of the Grand Canal is paved right up to Shannon Harbour meaning you have what must be a good 100km, probably more, of Greenway from one end of Offaly to the other, plus diversions to Lough Boora Park and Killbeggan with signposted Road connection to the Rail Trail in Streamstown. Not bad going

• Advertisement

Public consultation for Greenway from carndonagh to three trees (Quigley's point), 24th/25th April. Expect the below domain to be updated on that date.

This combined with buncrana to Bridgend, and buncrana to carndonagh, would create an almost 80km greenway loop from Derry city around Inishowen and back

https://threetreescarndonaghgreenway.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭loco_scolo

Royal Canal Greenway making good progress. View from Cross Guns bridge towards Drumcondra. Anyone know if this will be open soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I went along to this, and there was no more information than is on the website.

I spoke to one of the council bods - they started with 3 route corridors, quickly ruled out the one along the R761 and he told me they will almost certainly ditch the option through the countryside as it's way too complicated in terms of land acquisition.

Considering that it was alway expected that this would be along the railway line, they've spent the last year looking at phoney alternatives before coming back to the decision that it'll be… along the railway line. They'll probably have to move from the seaward side to the landward side of the railway in places, which could be tricky in terms of dealing with Irish Rail who are in general trying to remove manual crossings on the network.

Currently you can cross the railway at Kilcoole, Newcastle and 5 mile point to access the beach (possibly also at Killoughter, I haven't been there) - you have to manually open gates in all these places. However there are currently only 5 trains in each direction per day on this line; if the proposed Dart extension to Wicklow goes ahead (even if it's only one train an hour in each direction) I don't see how they could have a greenway crossing the line at grade in multiple locations.

IR are also working on a massive coastal protection scheme that is more advanced than this greenway but will undoubtedly influence the design of the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭nilhg

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/1483479/bord-na-mona-seeking-tenders-for-30m-walking-and-cycling-network-across-the-midlands.html

Huge potential there and can probably be done relatively cheaply seeing as a lot of the requires infrastructure is in place and there will be no need to deal with landowners.

Many opportunities to link with the new green/blueways all through the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Now to add every BnM railway and track to the map! 😅

• Advertisement

Another phase 1 Greenway consultation from Donegal council

This would link newly completed lifford - castlefinn all the way to border with Derry on left bank of Foyle.

https://carrigansliffordgreenway.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone else having trouble getting onto page 1 of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm sure you know this already but railmaponline has them, just turn off everything except industry

https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

I was at the official opening on Friday morning at Naomh Padraig GAA for the Muff to Three Trees section. An exemplar of project management and a superb amenity. Congratulations to everyone involved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

@riddlinrussell

An update for the cycle network map on page 1.

Whitestown Way/Firhouse Road West scheme in Tallaght was completed recently.

Advertisement