Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Isn't there some greenway 'rule' where pedestrians and cyclists should keep left which gives space to people coming the opposite direction as well as allowing cyclists to overtake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Consonata

They have something like this on the Dodder Greenway but honestly it doesn't work very well when the trail isn't that wide.

Not only is it poorly lit, but when it is heavily trafficked its hard to know how best to overtake/meet oncoming pedestrians.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Same as on a road but I think most people are oblivious to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Noone is taking any bike way away from any cyclists. Just quoting a pro cycle path commenter. Frankly I'd relax the kaks on alt POVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I meant moreso that you stay left travelling both directions, so a shared lane between cyclists and pedestrians. In that image you would only have pedestrians on one side and cyclists on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭Tow

The current plans are to have cyclists on that part if the Dodder Greenway use new cycle lanes along Milltown Road. If you google it the plans are in the Corpo's website.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Yeah the new plans are bunk. Ryan clearly wants it to go around on the golf course side of the river as it makes the most sense, but it'll involve major working through ABP to get it agreed to.

The new pathing is a holding measure, and whilst it is a great cycle mobility upgrade for that road, it's pretty useless as a greenway, particularly given the elevation climb and quick descent into the park again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭Tow

It does not need ABP to get as far as Classon's Bridge along the existing Dodder Trail. A short, flat and cheaper route than along the Milltown Road.

Eamon talks about bats not liking new lighting, says nothing about the trail going past the end of his back garden.

He also says the money is in place for the bike lanes along the Milltown Road, but upgrading the Dodder Trail's path would be a much cheaper option. The only thing is Milltown Road is the Corpo area and the Dogger Trail is DLR Coco. They can get money from Dublin Corporation, but not DLR?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Problem is Classon's bridge is too narrow as is, it just about has two lanes with little/no footpath. And for it to go down the right of way by the golf courses, means the four (NIMBY) families will drag it threw the courts. He seems like he is willing to go down that road, however the milltown rd option is a staying measure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Even a white line up the middle and plenty of keep left s painted on the tarmac ,

Even if cyclists are using a bell , someone on the phone or using headphones is unlikely to hear them ,

I'm waiting for a little dog on one of those extending leads to get airborne by a cyclist.. prob in low light,while dog owner is distracted

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Even if cyclists are using a bell , someone on the phone or using headphones is unlikely to hear them

Often using a bell can result in hostility from some walkers and can make others almost panic and step in front of the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was on the Castletroy Greenway last week which has bike and foot separated by a curbed concrete footpath and a tar cycleway. Everyone was walking on the tar and when I had to use the bell to alert a couple with their backs to me their reaction was to get out of my way by cutting across my path "to safety"

People on shared spaces (or not shared in my case) need to adopt the New York emergency services principle of never deviating when hearing a warning sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Westernview

If we are down to the level of worrying whether a bike bell is not loud enough/too aggressive we must have every other issue solved.

Bells are frequently used by Dutch cyclists to politely inform people blocking their path that they are coming through. Works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This isn't the Netherlands, people here sometimes get angry when they're asked to pay attention and move their asses.

People just living in their own little bubbles and that's across the board: walkers/dog walkers/cyclists, in dreamland or wandering all over the shop or blocking the way or speeding. I don't know if it's down to ignorance or just plain old entitlement. "Rules" may be posted up but rules are for other people, not me.

I find some cyclists get stroppy when they have to slow down for anything at all. Omg my training spin totally ruined.

I cited the Netherlands because it's a place where cycling is embedded in the culture and cars, pedestrians and cyclists comfortably co-exist. That's my point - we aren't the Netherlands but as more and more cycle routes are added and more people take up cycling the culture will move more towards what it is there.

Yes there are some walkers/dog walkers/cyclists that exist in a bubble but you can add vehicle drivers to that list as well. There are inconsiderate selfish people in each group and alway will be. But those people will become less and less over time as people realise we all share the roads and paths and are not competing with each other for space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Its one of those it depends, if youre close to them the bell gives them a fright ,

If you do it from a distance back they dont take any notice ,so no you have to ding twice - and they'll crankily tell you they heard you the first time 😉

Still i'd rather people kept left , cyclists dinged their bells and dog walkers kept their dogs on a short leash,

Small kids ? Uh , youre on your own there ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

No I don't believe so. If anything people here are becoming less tolerant and dress up being a selfish arsehole as being assertive.

Greenways are being sold as being all things to all people and we will see more of this when electric scooters get added to the mix and different groups will rub each other the wrong way up.

You certainly don't seem to have much tolerance yourself anyway - walkers/dog walkers/cyclists yeah they really are the worst of society aren't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I had a look at the proposals for Milltown Road earlier. They should keep the cycle lanes on the same side of the road for the length of the project. The stone arch bridge is obviously restrictive but the cycle lanes could go under the next arch, closer to the river, at that point. The right turning lanes should be removed to give more space, they only serve a few properties each anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yes I fully expect some of the new-build greenways near to urban areas will be re-done as fully segregated facilities in the future. The current "fudge" has been great to get some finished infrastructure over the line but it's not ideal.

• Advertisement

That's not what I said and you should be smart enough to know that.

"People just living in their own little bubbles and that's across the board: walkers/dog walkers/cyclists, in dreamland or wandering all over the shop or blocking the way or speeding. I don't know if it's down to ignorance or just plain old entitlement."

You're trying to tell me that's not intolerant? Tell me what you meant then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@Westernview

Mod: Do not attack the poster. Also, do not respond in thread to Mod posts.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

Galway to Athlone Cycleway Project Update

Galway to Athlone Cycleway Project update 11/03/2024:

• TII and the Local Authorities have held a series of meetings to agree a Plan on moving forward to deliver the scheme. This Plan has now been finalised following a meeting last Friday between all parties. A Framework for the procurement of Consultants is to be established. It is proposed to advise the Elected Members of these details in the coming weeks.

• The Project Team are currently finalising the Framework documents. Draft documents are being reviewed and it is anticipated that these documents will be published on eTenders within a month. This process will conclude with the formation of a Framework.

• The Project Team are continuing to engage and liaise with landowners. Over the past month the PLOs have contacted the majority of landowners to update them on the scheme and inform them that new Consultants will be appointed in the coming months.

• Any queries can be sent to the Project email address: info@galwaytoathlonecycleway.com 

Public Consultation 3 for Section 1 of the West Clare Railway Greenway between Kilrush and Kilkee is open until next week;

Looks great, obviously would be very popular with tourists in the area. A link to the Tarbert ferry and then to Listowel would be great in terms of opening it up for longer distance cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Initial consultation on the East Coast greenway from Wicklow to Greystones is out on the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

It will be an interesting one to see develop, isn't it effectively going to be a 'coastal defence' greenway for the rail line?

The Emerging Preferred Route Corridor is available to view now;

From the looks of it, north of Newcastle the route will be west of the rail line, so probably no sea views. I'd say it will have to move inland around the Kilcoole Estuary for both cost and ecological reasons. South of Newcastle, it could be along with sea and incorporate sea defences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Public consultation open for Buncrana to Bridgend (Derry border) Greenway

https://bridgendbuncranagreenway.ie/public-consultation/

Starting back at phase 0 now after many years of work under the remit of Donegal co co, which previously had a publicised preferred route selected.

No idea why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Not sure what you mean re-the wicklow greenway consultation, one of the three corridors looks to hug the coast? And neither of the others goes to the coast below Newcastle.

It's possible they would go for a hybrid of options but doesn't seem to be specifically indicated.

On the Buncrana consultation, that it's at stage 0 is either a damning indictment of the quality of work Donegal CC were doing on it or TII is in the habit of ignoring previous work. Would be interesting to know more but I doubt it would be easy to discover.

Advertisement