Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Congratulations, it certainly is a time consuming event! Good to have you back. I still think find it shocking that there isn't a central government website with a similar map and providing info on the various projects.

Several of the projects in SDCC are now complete, more info here.

As part of N4 Castlebaldwin - Collooney, a section of segregated path was provided from here north to the N4/N17 roundabout. Silgo CoCo have recently held consultations for extending that approx. 1km north and also south to Castlebaldwin.

In Donegal, the N56 route is complete as far as Dungloe. Bundoran to Ballyshannon is along a quite road and should be sufficiently segregated. Fairly short but should see plenty of tourists traveling between the towns.

There is also the proposed Lough Derg Greenway which could be added to your map. Route not selected yet though.

Wexford CoCo recently tendered for consultants for Bridgetown to Kilmore Quay Greenway Phase 2, this would be extremely popular if/when the south Wexford Rail line gets turned into a Greenway. They also had a consultation last year on Wexford Town to Rosslare Strand Greenway but route not published yet.

Kilkenny has routes along the Nore and now a plan for a boardwalk to link two sections together.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

The Farmleigh Bridge crossing the Liffey in the Strawberry Beds seems to be finished now as regards stabilisation and painting (now white). Very nice job! Worryingly I saw no new surface added to the base to allow its use in future for pedestrians and cyclists? I raised it with a few local Cclrs. I hope this can form a connection from Palmerstown Park into Farmleigh and beyond into the Phoenix Park. It may need to be pushed thru by a CPO possibly on the south bank of the river where it falls short about 20 yrds from the public park already there? Not sure what's blocking it on the north side...but could be private land there too. I recall trying to get in there as a kid when some cnunt with a Pommie accent pushed me back threatening to ship me in chains to Van Diemens Land😎 Could be a nest of west brits still hanging in there.

Info on greenways around Navan, built & proposed

This doesn't bode well for the SLNCR greenway

It could end up being worse than the fustercluck that is the Athlone to Galway greenway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

In Limerick,

There's a segregated 2way cycle lane from the Factory Carpet Depot at the Parkway as far as the main gates of the university of Limerick.

There's also one the full length of Childers Road

There's a plan to extend the existing greeway along the river from the university to Annacotty village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭loco_scolo

DCC posted an update on the Royal Canal Greenway. Here is the new bridge across the canal halfway between Drumcondra and Cross Guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

“Urban greenway” planned between Waterford and Tramore. Basically just segregating a route along the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Westernview

Looks good but does it need a separation barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Under the plans, barriers would be installed, separating cyclists and motorists."

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Westernview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The term greenway should only be allowed refer to routes through parks or countryside as opposed to adding a cycleway alongside a main road, or painted cycle lanes in the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Definitely, you're either a greenway or a segregated cycleway.

People keep coming up with marketing terms like 'Urban Greenway' or the dreadful 'Greyway'

If its a greenway, I expect to see green on both sides for the most part, if it's a segregated Cycleway I'd like to see segregation from road traffic and pedestrians, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

To me this looks like a political solution to a political problem: they should of course be doing cycle+pedestrian infrastructure but are finding it easier to get these "greenways" over the line in public consultations.

I use one quite regularly and though it's not as good as a fully segregated design, it's still valuable. The only people who lose out are those cyclists who used to train on the route and now have the worst of both worlds: either slow down on the greenway and dodge pedestrians/dogs/driveways/side roads etc or get savage abuse on the adjacent road.

So the one near me looks like...

Winners: families, runners, commuters, some leisure cycling groups and users.

Losers: sport cyclists

Greenway/Cycleway Map updated with all the highlighted changes above, I've also worked through integrating all completed and planned routes from Kevin Bakers Dublin Map into the all island map (A rough translation: 'Completed' = "Done - Protected", 'Planned' = "Construction', 'Procurement', 'Detailed Design' and 'Busconnects Proposals').

Dublin is considerably more fleshed out now as a result, but likely now has a fair amount of duplicated routes I'll probably just clear out as I go. I still need to work on getting all city and town cycle plans (What I would give for the actual KML/GPX files of those! 🤤) integrated into the map, mostly at the 'Proposed' stage though!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?mid=1HAHB3jpXV7qgrTHgopH4Zl7-ItDHGEPv&ll=52.994479636379744%2C-8.435949029407961&z=6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Does anyone have any updates on progress of South Kerry Greenway?

Latest Report on it I could find, some construction works ongoing, some preparation works ongoing, some out for tender.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Thanks Riddlin, I was going to send you updates on the Tallaght area but I see you've already done them now.

The map is looking good, lots of green in and around Dublin in particular.

Personally I wouldn't roll up Planned with In Progress as they are two very different things - in Ireland things can be "Planned" for decades with no progress to show for it!

Can I ask what's going on in your map on Firhouse Road West? You have two overlaid cycle routes there, one Proposed the other Planned/In Progress. I can tell you that the bike lane on that road is very much under construction right now.

If there are two overlapping plans for the road, they will of course only build 1 bike route, not both.

At this stage for my map it would be a nightmare to separate out planned from in progress, the aim is that something goes to 'planned' when it genuinely has been submitted for part 8/going for procurement rather than, 'someone has drawn something pretty' which is what proposed is for.

Dublin will have a lot of graphical oddities at the minute, I pulled in Kevin Bakers map details and there's a good few duplicates or places where there something in progress, but with a larger scheme still proposed that it's a section of in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Route options have been selected for the UL to Montpelier greenway.

https://www.ulmontpeliergreenway.com/index.html

• Advertisement

Mnnn. ... I wonder. I check into the Port one or twice a month but see little by way of activity re the cyclepath.

That area on both sides of the bridge is one of the most dangerous parts of Dublin for a cyclist. I'm there regularly but no way I would suggest a less experience cyclist go near the area. I use the pathway to cross because the trucks are so dangerous.

Wonder if that roundabout on the northside of the EastLink bridge will be redone. One of the ugliest and most dangerous junctions in Dublin.

Wish the whole East Link bridge was redone from scratch. Dream on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's meant to be. Was delayed until the Exo building was finished, so it should start soon enough.

Wish the whole East Link bridge was redone from scratch. Dream on.

when it was built there was literally nothing down that end of the river except port related stuff, it's surprising it even has a footpath. I do cycle across it regularly and it can be a bit hair-raising, but the paths are so narrow they're barely wide enough for 2 people to pass (and the eastern side path is useless for most people so everyone is on the western side path). They need to get on and build the active travel bridges proposed for the area but AFAIK they're not even out to tender.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Apologies, they're planning on doing the roundabout. It was put on hold while the Exo building was under construction, but as that's finished, I think it should start up again. Think they're fairly far on in the planning process, but am not sure exactly where they've left it.

The bridge won't be touched, not really, but they are planning another bridge there, for pedestrian and cycle provision, and another bridge for south port traffic. I think the Luas is eventually meant to go over one of them, but not sure which.

the pedestrian/cycle bridge is a DCC project that AFAIK is stalled along with the similar bridge further upriver. The south port access bridge will also have cycle lanes and space for the Luas if it's ever extended, but it's still going through consultation so is years away.

Castletown to Wilkinstown section of the Boyne Valley Greenway now open https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02UTYUny4ak7KHfeJkc7bEz7DQWPRAtuRF5s7Z9LKnZT56KcZPzbS8TQo7rXTtsotxl&id=100064732084559&sfnsn=mo

That means the full greenway from Navan to Kilmainhamwood is now open, only a few km left to Kingscourt.

Section to the R162 should be finished in the next few weeks, but no Idea of timeline on the last stretch to Kingscourt (unsure if the entire project is being run by Meath CC or that last bit is under Cavan CC)

*Thanks to muckwarrior in the cycling forum for highlighting it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

The largest proposed solar farm that I'm aware of in this area got planning permission from Kildare Co Co yesterday:

Not really relevant to a greenway thread normally but the interesting thing here is that this solar farm as proposed would have been constructed on the old track of the Naas to Baltinglass/Tullow railway which is earmarked as a possible greenway at sometime in the future.

Among the many submissions to KCC about the planning application was a very comprehensive one from the Naas to Tullow greenway group and to be fair KCC seem to have taken it onboard because the greenway was one of the things they asked the developers about when the requested further information.

For anyone who doesn't want to read the documents, one of the conditions of planning is that the path of the greenway through the farm is to be left clear of panels but if you're interested in this sort of thing the submission from the greenway group and the planners report are well worth a look from the planning file.

For what it's worth I know the area well and am familiar with the route of the old railway line and personally find it hard to envisage the greenway ever going ahead, there is just too much of the old line lost or already built on, but you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

Latest Youghal greenway update

https://youtu.be/BPHD94gPNd0?si=BGENC53pQ3T105H7

Advertisement