Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

Not sure if there is a better place for this as its not really a Greenway but will link with one eventually. The work that has been done between Glountaune and Dunkettle is really good, however a connection to major center of population and employment is needed (i.e Carrigtwohill and Little Island).

I wonder what the timeline is but I like the thinking that there is a need to do something quickly even if not perfect.

CORK City Council is expected to announce plans to connect Kent Station to Glanmire and Little Island with a new cycling route in the coming weeks.

The proposal will be part of the accelerated Pathfinder project to connect Cork and Waterford by a continuous greenway by 2025.

A section from Penrose Quay to Silver Springs will be delivered in an interim fashion and completed under BusConnects.

The plans were confirmed by City Hall and they will be put forward for public consultation in the next few weeks.

Cork City North-East Green Party councillor Oliver Moran said there will be many benefits for Lower Glanmire Rd residents.

“It will open up the area behind the Harbour Commissioner’s building for a new public space,” he said, adding that there is a need to improve access to water for amenities and transport along the developments, and that is “something that will be worked into plans for regeneration of the North Docks”.

The plan will contain “a bridge over the patent slip in the North Docks and the creation of a new pedestrian and cycling street between Horgan’s Quay and the Lower Glanmire Rd”.

The new pedestrian and cycle street will eventually join the boardwalk along the riverside. The section from Silver Springs to Dunkettle will pass through the Port of Cork Millennium Gardens and continue inside the Port of Cork at Tivoli.

This section will connect with new and planned cycling infrastructure at Dunkettle using a second bridge to pass over the railway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

They're mooting this one as a "Pathfinder" project, between Dunkettle Roundabout and Tivoli Millennium Garden, and accordingly are saying that it should be complete by 2025.

Carrigtohill section has been through Part 8, going from the IDA business park North of the Train Station to Adamstown. They're calling that "Phase A". Adamstown to Midleton will be a newer phase and has not yet been designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MindBent

I recently moved to Glanmire and was wondering doe's anyone know when the next Phase of the greenway that passes Ballinglanna will begin? I would have thought that when they finished the first phase they would have moved on to the next one to complthe link to Glounthane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭pigtown

The next round of consultation is open for the Limerick-Scarriff greenway. There's lots of detail on potential routes but it appears that the ESB won't allow a route through their lands.

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/Pages/Public-Consultation-on-the-Limerick-to-Scarrif-Greenway

No, nobody knows when the next phase of the Ballinglanna section will begin. It's awaiting its CPO hearing via ABP, and there's no guaranteed outcome, hence no guaranteed date. The money is available, but this needs to go through the motions unfortunately. They hope they'll get the CPO through this year. There's also all of the 15 or so Part 8 projects in Glanmire, tying the AIB through to the Glanmire Community College which are in a similar situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

Is there any news on when the carrigtwohill part of the Glounthaune link will advance?

Is there a CPO needed there. I expect it's a bit more complex to deliver with a bridge needed at the Elm Tree.

Nothing has been announced I'm afraid.

Definitely a CPO needed but I'm not sure of its state. I'll try and find out more when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

That would indeed be sweet but i cant see it happening because

1) Anyone living nearby won't want the sudden influx of slack jawed gawkers having easier access near their gaff.

2) The modal shift argument doesn't really hold weight. Car access to town and GI is already pretty dreadful. The stick is already there in force. If theyd just start building more high rise apartments closer to the town centre, the greens would be sorted.

Bridges are expensive craic too

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Article with video and map of progress on the Dodder greenway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 roc77

Finally have a date for Athlone Bridge opening.....8th August.

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2023/07/12/bridge-opening-date-plan-is-revealed/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That could be a brilliant routeway ,ringaskiddy to waterford

say a short ferry at youghal , as much coastal path as possible all the way to ring , and another crossing ferry from the sand spit in ring to dungarvan.

Even if it was just improved road surfaces and signage in places,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

DroneHawk at Midleton-Youghal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

has the limerick greenway been extended from abbeyfeale to listowel yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭RonanG86

• Registered Users Posts: 2 odax

Hello dear locals!

I have one question, sorry if this question is double something same Q

First question; Is Greenway Limerick [Rathkeale to Listowel] open for people-own bikes, or, i have to rent bike in Rathkeale?

And second question is: Is there a bus from Limerick wich back storage I can use for transport my bike? I know that some bus in countryside area allow to transport bikes or e-bike. What going from Limerick City to Rathkeale?

Go riabh maith agat!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭RonanG86

1 - Yes you can cycle your own bike.

2 - I don't know. Bus Eireann lets you bring folded ones afaik.

Yeah it's kinda treated as luggage if its a foldable and the storage area fits it(which it does 99.999% of time). Obviously have it folded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's been a while but I used to be able to put my bike in the luggage area underneath the bus. Loads of room.

Greenways are public infrastructure for everyone. You can walk it if you want.

• Advertisement

New bridge over the Shannon in Athlone is now opened, here's some pics

Lovely looking. Seems strange to have shared pedestrian/cycle infrastructure in a urban setting like that though, any idea why they wouldn't want to segregate?

I honestly don't think there's a need for separation. There won't be high speeds, too many sharp turns. It's very wide too so I don't foresee any conflict between the two modes. Separation is always better though, to your point

I don't know the area well so maybe there's very little footfall. I was just picturing a scene in the sunshine where people are milling about there!

Yeah I don't think many pedestrians will use it. Very few walking journeys from the army barracks to northgate st. Most would want to follow the main bridge route outside of the initial curiosity strolls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think DaCor is right, speed will be so limited that I really don't see a big issue with conflict. Bear in mind too that this is part of the Greenway rather than a standalone bridge, the Greenway is entirely shared use.

veryangyman is probably right too, if you're just walking through town the new bridge won't serve your needs as it would mean extending your walk to get to Church st.

All makes perfect sense, thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭cantalach

@hans aus dtschl - I noticed yesterday that work seems to have started on extending the Glanmire-Carrigtwohill greenway to the east of its current terminus at the Elm Tree but I've failed to find any details about this online. Do you know anything about this?

I heard they were marking out the field over the last few days between Elm Tree and the IDA industrial estate. I didn't see it myself.

What you're seeing in this area is one of a large number of schemes. What's actually moving is called the Cork Co Co Glounthaune to Carrigtohill greenway scheme. It's part of the Cork-Waterford greenway. Two cycle routes were simultaneously put up for Part 8 with both intended to progress:

First one hugging the road, to the North of the road. It requires a new 5m wide pedestrian and cycle bridge alongside the existing skew bridge over the railway line at Killacloyne. It continues to the front of Fota Business Park, with the existing path being widened to 5m (2m Pedestrian, 3m cycling). This continues North of the Cobh Junction roundabout, and on past the IDA entrance. It becomes one-way cycling at Aldi, where the junction will be signalised as part of a seperate scheme. That carries on North of the village towards the Train Station. Pretty reasonable overall but they kinda forgot/ignored that cyclists might want to go to the village.

The second one continues to the North of the railway line hugging the railway line itself, then when it gets to the Killacloyne road, it does a kind of jug turn across the road and into the IDA business park. From there it continues on the IDA's "greenway" straight past Stryker and out East towards the recently-published Carrigtohill development area. This is not so good, because what's been done in the IDA park in the name of "greenway" to-date is deplorable.

Overall, the area will have the attached. What's below the blue line is the scheme that's currently progressing.

For clarity for those not familiar with the area, the bottom right of this image where there's no plan for cycle infrastructure is where the village is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭cantalach

Thanks for that! They're doing more than just marking out the field. When I passed yesterday they had actually started excavating the corridor. Although the section in question is shared by both of the schemes you mention, I suspect the current work is part of the scheme remaining on the north side of the railway. I'm saying this based on the absence of any work on either side of the skew bridge.

Advertisement