Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In fairness there is very little left of what was Mallow-Dungarvan, to call it a disused or a closed railway is disingenuous. There is literally nothing left but fields for the most of its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Actually , there was a major gas pipeline project in cork a few years ago , the farmer consultation part was subbed out to farm relief services, payments for crop loss and and damage , loss of access ect were worked out in advance , and landowners concerns were dealt with ..

Thats not usually the case , so by the time you've payed for your solicitor, your engineer and gone through a potentially years long planning system for feic all , you may have a right to be pissed off , (certain state organization have a rep for being sneaky, or difficult to deal with )

And once this piece of infrastructure goes through your land your opportunities to change farming systems or expand may become limited, so there are very valid concerns .

That said , some people are just pains in the ass ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

High-value farmlands at that. Plus, what value does the rail alignment actually bring other than that the gradient is very low. The riverside road between Fermoy and Lismore is already very flat, so hugging near to the river to Cappoquin would seem like as good an opportunity as the railway IMO.

With that being said, it would be a shame to not use the blackwater viaducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

This came up in a conversation I had with a Danish gentleman I met at the base of the Red Bridge ( currently being renovated ) crossing the Liffey from Farmleigh. The end point on the southside appears to be a parcel of private land abutting Watertown Park at the edge of Palmerstown. For the scheme to work i.e. creating a continuous greenway from the Phoenix Park to Palmerstown and beyond the Council will have to buy it, if the owner agrees , otherwise its the CPO route and all that this entails. The Dane said there was legal concept of the "common good" in his country which overrides individual rights in such scenarios. How to define "common good" ? The legal eagles will coin it in the Four Goldmines untangling that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The ground work has to be put in. Going in all billy big balls and talking about compulsory purchase orders from the start puts peoples' backs up.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It would be the same for urbanites if a piece of their beloved garden or driveway were to be removed with little or no consultation.

• Advertisement

You only need to remove on-street parking (which nobody is entitled to) to cause outrage in urban areas!

But as has been said, you'll always still get one or two oddballs who can't be enticed no matter what you do. We see these people in almost every scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That is essentially what CPO is. Those seeking to CPO land have to prove that there is sufficient reason for the land to be bought against the owners wishes. A CPO request can be rejected by the courts, as happened previously with attemptsto CPO land for Intel to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

The Limerick-Cork greenway which is progressing as part of the M20 project is to run along the old railway alignment between Patrickswell and Charleville, with a new alignment next to the road for the southern half.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how "alongside" will it be. Who would want to cycle a greenway that's right beside a busy motorway? Surely it would be better to put it on the old N20.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Unless the M20 will be the old N20 (just expanded).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

Just looking at the map and a large swathe of that rail alignment has been completely subsumed into fields or even replaced with roads. It would almost be easier to build it alongside the new road

I'd agree. If it's not suitable for rail then why is it good for bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Theres some consideration into including a ferry to cross the Blackwater at Youghal due to how narrow the existing bridge is. A ferry seems a bit mad, but I have no idea how much a small pedestrian/cycle bridge from Ferrypoint would be. Not cheap anyway.

A small ferry would be kind of cool , and would then miss out the narrow part of the n25 .. and if you stay coastal as much as possible all the way to Ring , and another small ferry into Dungarvan ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

Interesting stuff. I thought Youghal to Dungarvan would be totally northward to meet the Mallow-Dungarvan Greenway at Cappoquin viaduct.

"He added 2024 would see the project move to design and "environmental planning", while construction would be undertaken and completed by the end of 2025."

🙄

Why do they come out with this rubbish? They seem to have a default of delivering projects late but maybe they should just set a realistic timescale in this instance.

A small ferry would appear to be a good idea, but they really need a public realm scheme in Youghal too, because the streets are really "car-first".

Going from the greenway onto R634 will be quite the change in experience!

Is there much navigation up the river at from the potential crossing point or is it only boats going out to sea? If nothing heading up the river, they could look at putting in a Reaction ferry across the river. It needs a fixed cable so would really limit the size of boat which could cross under the cable. A submerged cable is also possible but brings other difficulties.

It would use eco friendly propulsion (assuming the current is strong enough) which would be interesting and fit in with the overall concept. A unique ferry design could make for an "Insta moment" and it could be an attraction in itself.

Can a reaction ferry be reliablly driven by tides ?

There are quays upstream from ferry point but i dont know how often theyre used ..

I suppose a powered ferry would be cheaper than the hassle ,consultation and permission for nstalling the cable ..

Could even do a battery electric ferry.. ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

If only we had something like that here. Oh wait:

43.2.2: The State, accordingly, may as occasion requires delimit by law the exercise of the said rights [to private property] with a view to reconciling their exercise with the exigencies of the common good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Caquas

Indeed, and we are fortunate to live in a country where the power of the State to take private property is constrained by a duty to ensure that "the affected parties should be duly compensated for their loss/disturbance."

• Advertisement

Foreshore application for Broadmeadow Way Greenway;

• Registered Users Posts: 6 roc77

Athlone Greenway Bridge getting close to opening. Can't be more than a few weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

The reason they may go in with CPOs early is because it takes time. You could spend two years negotiating for someone not to sign / die / fall out with family at the last min.

Depending on the projects the CPO process can be started and they will also try and get an agreement in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dmattmc

Its a requirement now for all new major road projects to have a pedestrian and cycle route. I'm not sure if any new projects have been designed and built since that policy change came in so it's hard to tell what way they will design these greenways. If a road is being rerouted completely then they will build the greenway on the old route according to what I've read.

It gets a lot more complicated if the old road is upgraded instead of rerouted. That opens a whole can of worms of having to CPO additional lands for a greenway that runs near the upgraded road but separated enough that its safe and actually useable as a greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

I'm itching for this to be finished, will cut out the part of my commute where I am tightest with traffic, will be relieved when I can just cross there. This morning it looked like they were starting to tidy up (but that could be wishful thinking on my part).

I've past it a couple of times over the last week and yeah, I won't miss going over the main bridge. Will 100% be using this as my primary option for crossing the river.

Now if they could add 2 more walking/cycling crossings at roughly the locations marked below in blue, that would be sweet and would really assist with getting people to modal shift.....will be waiting a while though

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

Any updates on the works that were taking place on the grand canal towards Sallins?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RunDMC

As of yesterday, not much visible progress has been made in the last few weeks. The foundations have been laid from Ponsonby bridge to Sallins, witch cabling laid and manholes/access hatches installed. Foundation works are also completed beneath the bridges, including Henry bridge. The work underpinning the road at Sallins appears to be complete. It seems that the focus has moved on to the abutments for the new bridge in Sallins.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

I agree they would be awful handy but I wouldn't hold my breath, I think this bridge was first talked about in 2017 so turnaround time isn't exactly rapid on these things 🙂

• Advertisement
Advertisement