Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts on pet cats roaming free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bizzum wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the advice the FJ gives out. Come on over to the farming forum and see real farmers opinions on it!

I do however note use of the word 'Ideally'. Look around the country and tell me where you see bales fenced off like this, practically nowhere.
    It's impractical and almost unworkable.

Ideally cats should not be allowed roam free.
    Perhaps microchipping should be compulsory to aid traceability. Any damage done can be accounted for.

The problem is that, according to the research, most damage is done by birds. So even if you eliminate the cats you are still likely to end up with damaged bales. Given the distinct possibility of another cold winter, bales are going to be precious. I can't see how it is that hard to run a bit of chicken wire or nylon fruit net over the bales - you don't need to build a fence.

At the end of the day you, as a Farmer, have to balance the cost of a bit of wire against the value of the bale. But evidence does suggest that Cats are trying to get in to kill the mice/rats that are already in there causing damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Discodog wrote: »
    But the really worrying aspect of this thread is some of the implied comment that it's OK to kill or harm a Cat. To me this sets a very dangerous precedent.

You are missing the fundamental point of this thread completely. This highlighted part is a decision that is made completely by the owner of the cat. It is completely unreasonable to expect that the world at large should take responsibility for someone else's pet especially if they are going to take absolutely none themselves. I have killed maybe 7 or 8 cats in my life-time, all death by car, at least 3 of them did not have an instant or painless death. I did not make any conscience decision to harm or kill any of them so why should I have that on my conscience? :confused:

When their owners decided they were going to let them wander the countryside and refuse to accept any responsibility for there whereabouts or what they were doing, they were the people who made the decision that it was fine by them for these animals to come to this gruesome end. There is no legal requirement to take responsibility for your cats, there is no legal responsibility for anyone else to round them up or keep them safe from harm.

So as I have already said, if you are a cat owner - make your decision, and live with the consequences because anything that happens to your cat due to your attitudes in how you chose to let it live it's life then you are responsible for whatever becomes of it as a result of your own choices.

<Edt> If you are going to quote law or shooting guidelines at least find information relevant to the country we actually live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

A cat can sleep for up to 18 hrs a day, it grooms for 2, eats for 1. So they have 3 hrs to spare in their day for play, watching birds or whatever they want to do.
    A lot of cats will not settle happily into an indoor only enviironment, the majority will.
    An indoor cat will have a much longer lifespan in general than a cat that is given freedom.
    I grew up in country environment were we got cats that never lasted beyond 3.
    When we bought our house we got some cats and decided to have them indoors only so as to keep them safe. The 2 kittens never went out and mommy ran away from the door if we opened it. We eventually built an enclosure in the garden, 20ftx30ft. We have the deck and BBQ in there too so we can spend time in it. Plants and trees and herbs and an overgrown spot for the cats to play and hide. We can have te wild birds visit on the other side of the garden and our neighbours never get a feline visitor from our house. It works really well for us. Some days the cats don't even step foot outside into the enclosure and sometimes they do, mainly to sleep on the deck tho!
    I don't understand that people think keeping them indoors is cruel! They slepp so Frickin much and even when we didn't have the enclosed garden we just played with them in the evening for a few hrs and then they slept again. IMO an indoor cat is a happy and safe cat.
    There are so many risks out there and I prefer to know my guys are safe and sound, the same with my dog.
    I would like sone form of laws to be introduced with regard to cat ownership. How it could be implemented I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So how about the practical rather than the theory. A lot of cats are owned by old people who cannot cope with the demands of a dog but love the company of a cat. Are these owner going to be able to build a big run ?
    How are they going to enjoy the company of this hypothetical cat if it's spending its days roaming the neighbourhood instead of in the house, or, worst case scenario, laminated across the road?

I know plenty of people who've kept cats very happily in an apartment. Is it too much to ask this hypothetical old person to keep their door shut and provide some cardboard boxes for the cat to play in? Why not direct them to a less high-maintenance pet like a rabbit if keeping a cat contained would be too much for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Personally I don't like cats... Sh!t in peoples gardens, stench the place out with their spray/piss/whatever, <snip>, one used to torment my dog, <snip>

They arent my pets, I shouldn't have to put up with the nuisance they create.

• Advertisement

Re-opening this thread under the following conditions:

No . . . advocating cruelty (or anything else forum mods deem inappropriate) . . .

It's all already in the forum charter so none of this should be a surprise!

Play nice and the thread will stay open, otherwise . . . infractions will be issued.
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Personally I don't like cats... Sh!t in peoples gardens, stench the place out with their spray/piss/whatever, <snip> one used to torment my dog, <snip>

They arent my pets, I shouldn't have to put up with the nuisance they create.

Yellow Carded.

<EDT> Wolfe Tone - spraying cats with a hose is not an acceptable method of control, such is the nature of the animal more than anything else.

You are missing the fundamental point of this thread completely. This highlighted part is a decision that is made completely by the owner of the cat.
    I did not make any conscience decision to harm or kill any of them so why should I have that on my conscience? :confused:

I have never denied the responsibility of the owner. I too have killed a cat on a road but I didn't intend to. But it wasn't on my conscience because I hadn't done anything wrong. There is a world of difference between someone shooting cats & accidentally running them over. I would not have a Cat because I am too close to a road.

I just do not agree with the argument that, if any owner fails to contain their pet, it becomes acceptable to kill the animal. The OP has stated that he has shot cats.

The reason why I quoted a UK link is because shooting a Cat would be seen as unacceptable by the majority in the UK. There have been a few exceptions such as in bird sanctuaries.

You spoke earlier about people going on rants. This thread is one big anti cat roaming rant & it will change absolutely nothing. I can't imagine that the lecturing here will persuade any Cat owner to change their ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

discodog your post above quoting the situation in England has nothing at all to do with this country and you are well aware of this. you also know full well if i shoot a cat, pet or feral, at the request of a farmer or trap one that keeps coming into my garden and take it off to dispatch it i am well covered to do so by the law in this country. If your going to argue a point at least make it relivent

I can't imagine that the lecturing here will persuade any Cat owner to change their ways.

Nor do I, as for the thread being a massive anti-cat rant, many posters have voiced their concerns over destruction to their property and have done so in a perfectly reasonable manner. If cats are going to act like pests then people have every right to dispatch in a humane manner of their choosing, the same as any other brand of pest. There are plenty of cat owners who will complain about their animals being controlled because they aren't doing it themselves, while happily setting traps and using not so humane methods on other types of pests themselves.

My neighbour incidentaly is completely dismissive of my issues with his cat, he doesn't give a hoot, nor do many who have posted in this thread who let their cats roam. Dispatching it or trapping and relocating it some how would be pointless as he'd just get another cat. I put up with it in the interests of good relations and the fact that I'll be moving soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Nor do I, as for the thread being a massive anti-cat rant, many posters have voiced their concerns over destruction to their property and have done so in a perfectly reasonable manner. If cats are going to act like pests then people have every right to dispatch in a humane manner of their choosing, the same as any other brand of pest. There are plenty of cat owners who will complain about their animals being controlled because they aren't doing it themselves, while happily setting traps and using not so humane methods on other types of pests themselves.

My neighbour incidentaly is completely dismissive of my issues with his cat, he doesn't give a hoot, nor do many who have posted in this thread who let their cats roam. Dispatching it or trapping and relocating it some how would be pointless as he'd just get another cat. I put up with it in the interests of good relations and the fact that I'll be moving soon enough.

How lucky for your neighbour that you are moving. Do your dogs never bark? Let us know where you are moving to so that your new neighbours can be prepared for for your opinions.

I have both cats and dogs and so have my neighbours. Its give and take in this world - hopefully!

• Advertisement

Mo60 wrote: »
    How lucky for your neighbour that you are moving. Do your dogs never bark? Let us know where you are moving to so that your new neighbours can be prepared for for your opinions.

I have both cats and dogs and so have my neighbours. Its give and take in this world - hopefully!

No my dog doesn't bark, though I have no idea how this is is either relevant to this thread or any of your business. As for give and take - perhaps then you would be happier if I was to let a few horses loose in my neighbours garden to use as a toilet and tell him its a gift of free fertilizer, then he'd really be lucky. Fortunately for him there are already regulations in place that prevent me from doing so and have decided to put up with his mess in my garden rather than talking some action that might result in breaking his daughters heart. He is extremely lucky also that someone is actually considering her in their actions. As I said he doesn't give a hoot about the cat, even less so than the pup he dumped in the pound as his daughter kept letting it in and he couldn't be bothered to house train it :rolleyes:

I manage to keep all my animals under control, it isn't asking much to be afforded the same courtesy by those that have the benefit of me doing this, how's that for give and take.

Thanks all the same for your interesting but otherwise completely pointless post.

have every one of your neighbours got a cat? If not are you sure the ones that dont like yours coming into their gardens? Maybe they hate your cat coming around but dont say anything! Im sure his dogs bark sometimes but thankfully barking doesn't spread **** on the neighbours. Have you not read the rest of the thread?

have every one of your neighbours got a cat? If not are you sure the ones that dont like yours coming into their gardens? Maybe they hate your cat coming around but dont say anything! Im sure his dogs bark sometimes but thankfully barking doesn't spread **** on the neighbours. Have you not read the rest of the thread?

Yes I have read the rest of the thread and cannot understand the obsession about cats. Would you rather have rats in your garden or should I send the ones my cat sometimes brings home back to where she got them?

I do speak to my neighbours, including those who do not have cats themselves, and none have objected to my cats.

No my dog doesn't bark, though I have no idea how this is is either relevant to this thread or any of your business. As for give and take - perhaps then you would be happier if I was to let a few horses loose in my neighbours garden to use as a toilet and tell him its a gift of free fertilizer, then he'd really be lucky. Fortunately for him there are already regulations in place that prevent me from doing so and have decided to put up with his mess in my garden rather than talking some action that might result in breaking his daughters heart. He is extremely lucky also that someone is actually considering her in their actions. As I said he doesn't give a hoot about the cat, even less so than the pup he dumped in the pound as his daughter kept letting it in and he couldn't be bothered to house train it :rolleyes:

I manage to keep all my animals under control, it isn't asking much to be afforded the same courtesy by those that have the benefit of me doing this, how's that for give and take.

Thanks all the same for your interesting but otherwise completely pointless post.

Completely pointless post - what have horses got to do with it?

You have dogs that never bark? How unusual

I'm not going to carry on an argument with a Troll any further. However if you need some advice on basic dog training and meeting the needs of one so it doesn't need to complain about its life, you can start a thread on the topic.

Yes I have read the rest of the thread and cannot understand the obsession about cats. Would you rather have rats in your garden or should I send the ones my cat sometimes brings home back to where she got them?

I do speak to my neighbours, including those who do not have cats themselves, and none have objected to my cats.

Just curious, if one of your neighbours did have a problem with your cat going into their garden what would you do?

I'm not going to carry on an argument with a Troll any further. However if you need some advice on basic dog training and meeting the needs of one so it doesn't need to complain about its life, you can start a thread on the topic.

What a great reply. So dogs only bark when they want to complain, not when they are happy.

Mod hat on:

One more trolling off-topic reply and you can have a holiday from the forum

kylith wrote: »
    Just curious, if one of your neighbours did haves problem with your cat going into their garden what would you do?

I have had cats and dogs for many, many years and no one has ever complained about either. Maybe I have been lucky with my neighbours, or maybe they were just not so narrow minded as some people are.

I have posted my experiences so I do not have to continue any further, I am not into point scoring.

If cats are going to act like pests then people have every right to dispatch in a humane manner of their choosing, the same as any other brand of pest.

Many people would regard stray dogs as an even bigger pest. Do you think that people should be able to dispatch them ?

As someone who works in gardens a lot dog mess is 100 times more of a problem than cats.

• Advertisement

I have had cats and dogs for many, many years and no one has ever complained about either. Maybe I have been lucky with my neighbours, or maybe they were just not so narrow minded as some people are.

I have posted my experiences so I do not have to continue any further, I am not into point scoring.

That's not what I asked.

IF one of your neighbours said that your cat had toileted in their vegetable patch and they didn't want it in their garden, what would you do?

Many people would regard stray dogs as an even bigger pest. Do you think that people should be able to dispatch them ?

As someone who works in gardens a lot dog mess is 100 times more of a problem than cats.

At least you can call the warden and get them to remove the dog. There is no such facility for stray cats.

there are laws in place that say you cant but you can call the dog warden to handle it.

Yes dog **** is worse but the only dogs that **** in my garden are my own which is picked upwhen they do it. Someone elses cat does it and i might not know its there till one of the kids steps in it and walks it all over the house!

That's not what I asked.

IF one of your neighbours said that your cat had toileted in their vegetable patch and they didn't want it in their garden, what would you do?

I have posted my opinion, I do not feel I have to drag it out any further as you seem to want. As I said I am not into point scoring!

I have posted my opinion, I do not feel I have to drag it out any further as you seem to want. As I said I am not into point scoring!

No one's looking to score points, I really do want to know what you would do if someone came to you with a complaint about your cat, and you have not answered that. In fact it seems like you would tell them to get stuffed.

This question is open to all owners of roaming cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Owners should be held responsible for their cats in the same way as they would for dogs.

I have never yet had a dog come in over my back wall and dig out my lettuce and carrots to cover a defecation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

There are some interesting bylaws regarding cat ownership in other countries, since some here feel Ireland is not up to par with other countries perhaps we should be bringing in some of the bylaws others have to adhere to
    http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/documents/health/cats_permit_application_kit_june_2011.pdf

No one's looking to score points, I really do want to know what you would do if someone came to you with a complaint about your cat, and you have not answered that. In fact it seems like you would tell them to get stuffed.

How do you know what I would say. As I said I have given my opinion, politely, as is my way.

No further comment is needed on my part.

mo60. 3 times you have been asked a simple question and 3 times you have avoided answering it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

As I said in an earlier post, if anyone came to complain to me about my cat causing damage, he would be kept in from there on, no problem. He was a stray before he came to us and semi-wild, and claws at the windows and doors if he doesn't get out for about an hour everyday, despite having run of the entire house. He is tagged and microchipped and comes home to use the litterbox.
    If he ever did cause damage, like I said, I would do everything possible to keep it from happening again by keeping him inside. I would hope that every other responsible cat owner would do the same, though unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen. As animals go, cats are second class citizens in this country; they really get a raw deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement