Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts on pet cats roaming free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bizzum wrote: »
    How are the ISPCA at repairing silage?

Our farming friends are a fickle lot. Most farmers want cats to control rats.
    cats in fields i consider vermin and treat accordingly but its different in the housing estate

Amazing how anyone can be dog lover & hate another animal species.
    Would consider calling the warden, but I'd never catch the offending felines in question...

What warden ? The dog warden deals with dogs not cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

It's irresponsible ownership to allow cats roam freely causing damage, and trying to justify it is worse.
    Can you imagine the mayhem if farmers behaved like this with livestock.

Yeeeeaaaahh.... cows are quite big though, aren't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

planetX wrote: »
    not again:(
    cats are not the same as dogs.
    I hate when my neighbours play music outside on a sunny day.
    I hate the revving engines as they play with their cars.
    I put up with it.
    I hate the idea that there are people out there that are so hateful to cats.
    Live and let live.

You must have very big attractive flower pots...

I dont like noisy neighbours.....kids cars or music but thankfully there is a fence between me and them!
    It would be great if there was a fence between the neighbours choice of pet and me also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Discodog wrote: »

Fickle is it?
    So it's Fine that I foot the bill? That I repair any damage?
    That the irresponsible owner takes no responsibility for the situation?

I control rats, cats and anything else that effects my livelyhood.

gufnork wrote: »
    Yeeeeaaaahh.... cows are quite big though, aren't they.

So it's a size issue then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

any farmers i know hate cats being around and have a resident terrier or 2 around the yard to control vermin

Amazing how anyone can be dog lover & hate another animal species.
    I dont hate them i hate the way the owners go on. i dont hate any animals. i hate them coming into my house and my garden uninvited

So it's a size issue then?

isn't it always the way...?

Fickle is it?
    So it's Fine that I foot the bill? That I repair any damage?
    That the irresponsible owner takes no responsibility for the situation?
    No its not fine at all. If someone claims they own the cat it should be their responsability, if no one owns it its feral, treat it the same as an unwelcom fox or grain field full of rabbits

I dont hate them i hate the way the owners go on. i dont hate any animals. i hate them coming into my house and my garden uninvited
    cats in fields i consider vermin and treat accordingly

:confused:

No its not fine at all. If someone claims they own the cat it should be their responsability, if no one owns it its feral, treat it the same as an unwelcom fox or grain field full of rabbits

How do you tell if it is vermin or someone's pet or do you just shoot it ?

• Advertisement

isn't it always the way...?

No it isn't.
    This has nothing to do with the debate.

simple. If its a cat its not vermin. Glad I could help there.

simple. If its a cat its not vermin. Glad I could help there.

The question was not directed to you & judging by your recent comments in this thread, I would suggest that you have nothing of value to add to the discussion.

I didnt say i hated them, i dont hate foxes, rabbits, duck, pheasent, ect ether
    if it has no collar, is out where there are no houses and is hanging around livestock or bales its vermin. lots of feral cats around my way

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I have 3 cats which I allow to roam. I let the cats decide and one of them likes to go outside. He only ever goes at night, I have a cat flap, the rest haven't roamed yet.

I am hoping he doesn't annoy anyone he is a big scaredy cat. I tried keeping him indoors but he was miserable. It wasn't fair. I don't believe it is irresponsible of me to do this. No animal can be locked inside. That would be like never walking a dog!!! I hate the idea of such intolerant people out there, it scares me!

Kids cry at all hours but I don't expect my neighbour to be able to control it. My cats are my kids and I hate the idea of them crossing paths with some of the people on this thread!

audreyp wrote: »
    I have 3 cats which I allow to roam. I let the cats decide and one of them likes to go outside. He only ever goes at night, I have a cat flap, the rest haven't roamed yet.

I am hoping he doesn't annoy anyone he is a big scaredy cat. I tried keeping him indoors but he was miserable. It wasn't fair. I don't believe it is irresponsible of me to do this. No animal can be locked inside. That would be like never walking a dog!!! I hate the idea of such intolerant people out there, it scares me!

Kids cry at all hours but I don't expect my neighbour to be able to control it. My cats are my kids and I hate the idea of them crossing paths with some of the people on this thread!
    I really wish people would stop comparing cats to kids....

noise is not the problem!!! You dont need to keep them inside the hous just in your garden, cant you get cat proof fencing to stop them getting out?

I really wish people would stop comparing cats to kids....

noise is not the problem!!! You dont need to keep them inside the hous just in your garden, cant you get cat proof fencing to stop them getting out?

Why can't I compare my cats to kids? They mean the same to me! They are my babies, I stay up with them when they are sick and love them so much. If you can't understand it that's ok but don't criticise it. I can't cat proof my garden. I have a townhouse, couldn't do it unless my neighbours did too. Thankfully they like my cats so don't mind the odd visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'd rather live next door to 20 cats than one man with a gun.

Why can't I compare my cats to kids? They mean the same to me! They are my babies, I stay up with them when they are sick and love them so much. If you can't understand it that's ok but don't criticise it. I can't cat proof my garden. I have a townhouse, couldn't do it unless my neighbours did too. Thankfully they like my cats so don't mind the odd visit!
    ok so ill put it a different way then. how would you like it if the neighbours kids came into your garden the whole time and did their business???? I love my dogs but i love my human kids more

planetX wrote: »
    I'd rather live next door to 20 cats than one man with a gun.

• Advertisement

ok so ill put it a different way then. how would you like it if the neighbours kids came into your garden the whole time and did their business???? I love my dogs but i love my human kids more

I use gloves in the garden! And cats bury theirs so not the same thing. Anyway rats, birds and other assorted creatures probably poo there too!

If they annoy you, try deterrents!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Why can't I compare my cats to kids?

Kids will not cr@p in your garden as a habit.
    Kids will not "spray" their sent all over your property.
    Tell a kid not to come back onto your property and they will probably listen.
    Kids will not stalk and attack/kill birds feeding on your bird feeder.

Cats are simply animals, yes they are some peoples companions but you would be delusional to compare them to a human.

I use gloves in the garden! And cats bury theirs so not the same thing. Anyway rats, birds and other assorted creatures probably poo there too!

Maybe your cats bury it but not all cats do. deterents only work for a while and any iv seen recomended on here someone else comes on to say they have used it and it only worked for a while so spending my money on them is not an option

Read my original post and suggest deterrents please.

Then tell me why it is up to ME to control YOUR pest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I personally hate cats being allowed to roam freely, I've had cats all my life and the way we deal with is to only allow them out the back when their is someone home or out the front whem we are out in the garden.

This has always worked fine for us as the cats get out but we know where they are so we kknow they are not in the anyone else's garden.

The argument that the cat pooing in your garden is wormed or that they bury it in moot as they their crap could be made of gold and I still don't want anything or anyone roaming over my property.

I don't have a dog but I think it's unfair that people would go mad if a dog was roaming but if it's a cat than its just being an animal.

We have a number of cats that roam in our estate and they are always try and get in the windows and doors of OUR house....so our their owners being responsable.

IMO if you want to call yourself a responsable pet owner than you should know exactly where your pet (whatever type of animal) is at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cats are independent animals which still posses most of their wild instincts. You cannot stop them from going outside neither can you only let them out on a leash like you would take a dog out. You can't make all cat owners to keep their cats as indoor pets because that's not going to happen either. Cats are still mostly wild animals and they will want to go out and explore. Its what cats do. Neither can you know where your cat goes and what it does because you can't be following your cat 24/7 and neither can you tell it to not go somewhere.

So you can either moan about how cats poo in your garden all the time. Or you can try to use some cat deterrents to keep them off your garden (there are many that can be found).

Because cats being cats will roam around and will enter people's gardens and property uninvited. Nothing will stop that. Its how they've lived for thousands of years and they're not going to change.

Cats are not kids. And if you wish to compare them, how about this - if my kid was to vandalise property (not that he could, being a year old!), I would most likely be expected to pay for the damages. Are you willing to pay for the damages your cats do to other people's property?

It's not about intolerance. It's about responsibility. To own a cat is fine, however that ownership implies responsibility. If you're not willing to accept this, you should not own the animals in the first place.

if it has no collar, is out where there are no houses and is hanging around livestock or bales its vermin. lots of feral cats around my way

Many pet cats do not wear collars & those that do can easily lose them.

Cats have a surprisingly long range so just because you can't see a house it doesn't mean that the cat is not a pet.

Any cat could be "hanging around livestock or bales".

There is no way of knowing for sure that you are not killing someone's pet.

What warden ? The dog warden deals with dogs not cats.

Even worse, so where do people harassed by these animals go? Take matters into their own hands? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ElleEm wrote: »

Boys will be boys and cats will be cats!

Great - The rioters in London will love that logic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement