Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The installer did this trick for me, ie. I now have all ITV's Ch5 Ch5USA etc, but yes I'm seeing weird things on the EPG, ie. when I set up my favourites, I noticed I couldn't advance to the next station by pressing Ch+(on some channels), but it would advance if you pressed the 'what's on next' blue button and then pressed the Ch+ or Ch-.
    After further investigation, when I went into Options and then Favourites, I see that there's 5 of some channels !! eg. 5 * SkySportsNews, 5 * Eurosport1 etc :confused:

Note: He didn't add C4HD, so I added that one myself, but while it's on 'other channels', it isn't on the EPG, damn as I would love to be able to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ALO34

If i perform the card trick will i loose programes that i have already recorded onto my sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

ALO34 wrote: »
    If i perform the card trick will i loose programes that i have already recorded onto my sky box.

No you won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have a Newcastle FTV card and a new amstrad box with the very latest EPG so let me explain.

Basically I remove my Irish sub card and power off the box, insert FTV card and reboot.

Once I have this done I get all the typical UK channels as per the card.

I then went into lyngsat.com and got the tuning frequencies for the particular channels I was interested in keeping; in my case ITVHD and CH4HD, ITV1,2,3 +1's etc. and tuned them and saved them in "other channels", I then went to favourites and saved them and removed the card whilst the box was still running, the box reverts to the Irish EPG and all the channels from the FTV card have been wiped out from the EPG, but they still remain in the blue button favourites and most critically are recordable, with live pause rewind etc. Ok it is a little inconvenient for scheduling as they are not in the EPG but series link works too and it is now far handier than viewing them via "other channels".

My card is from Newcastle and the ITV1HD variation for it is Granada so for the trick to work you must be first off be able to tune the channels into other channels so be careful as not all regional variations allow this as some have 29000 frequencies which cannot be tuned in.

I am delighted and my main aim was to get ITV1HD and CH4HD on the Sky box and I can now record stuff from them using the Sky+ facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

muffler wrote: »
    Are many people experiencing problems with the box after doing "the trick"?

My sister tells me that her box, which had the software updated a couple months ago, is now freezing a few times a week. She is using a Granada region card and records quite a bit from the ITV1 channel.

Im using the same card and apart from one or two reboots over the last few months I never had any issues myself but then again I seldom record the UK channels.
    Just a wee bump on this with a follow on question. I was on to Sky about a different issue and happened to mention about the box freezing fairly often. They suggested doing a planner rebuild and emailed the instructions on that. But if she does the rebuild will it affect the card trick in any way? Will she loose channels stored in Other channels" and "favourites"? Is there any disadvantage to doing the planner rebuild?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

I haven't tried this but here are the instructions for the planner rebuild and a system reset

Planner Rebuild

Press Services on your Sky Remote and move across to Settings and press select.
    Access the Installer Set Up by pressing 0 (zero) 1 and then select.
    Use the left or right arrows to scroll along and highlight Rebuild (this will change to Planner Rebuild when you’ve reached it) and press select.
    You’ll receive an on screen message saying "This will take a few minutes to complete. The rebuild will stop all recordings and reboot your Sky+" Press select to continue.
    An on screen message saying “Housekeeping Please Wait” will appear. This should only show for 2 minutes. If it stays on your screen for longer than 2 minutes please take your viewing card out and reset your box.
    When the housekeeping message has disappeared your box with automatically turn off and on again and be in the stand-by mode (showing a red light).
    Wait 3 minutes and press the Sky button on your remote to turn the box back on out of stand-by mode.

Full System Reset

Should the above steps fail to clear the System Fault message then a Full System Reset may be required to clear the issue. A Full System Reset will delete all existing and planned recordings from your planner.

1. Press the services button to access the menu with Options highlighted.
    2. Press the right arrow button to highlight the Settings menu and press. You will now be highlighted on Picture on the middle menu bar.
    3. Press 0, 1 and select to access the hidden Installer menu.
    4. Using the left /right arrow buttons highlight System Reset and press select .
    5. The warning OSM “This option will delete all existing and planned recordings. Press Select to continue or Backup to cancel”. Press Select.
    6. The on screen message: Housekeeping, please wait will appear. If the on-screen message does not clear after 2 minutes or more, check our “Housekeeping – please wait” article
    7. Once complete your Sky box will switch itself off and then back on automatically displaying the red standby light.
    8. Wait for 2 to 3 minutes after the red light has appeared.
    9. Press the Sky button on the remote control to return your Sky box to full power, confirming there is a green light illuminated on the box.

Thanks Dymo. I have the instructions for the planner rebuild and while Sky have indicated that it wont affect recordings Im wondering is there anything else that could be lost or changed after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

No nothing changes after the planner rebuild, I did it after posting the instructions where as the system reset I think wipes everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Can anyone confirm if a white NI card will bring the uk channels on epg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

I have a NI card and it does not bring the channels onto the EPG. My understanding is that it is also box dependent. My version number is 4f31d5 and no matter what region card I use, or how many times I reboot (twice a week at the moment.... Long story!) I cannot get the channels on the EPG. Contract is up with Sky in a couple of months so Freesat here I come!

• Advertisement

smyths wrote: »
    Yup, got a UTV region card a couple of days ago and all the ITV channels are back on the EPG.

As stated above it is probably down to the type and version of box.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alanashe

Yup, got a UTV region card a couple of days ago and all the ITV channels are back on the EPG.

As stated above it is probably down to the type and version of box.

Is it a FTV card, I tried my parents old Sub card which didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Woodie40

alanashe wrote: »

The Card trick working perfectly for me for over a year now, (all on the main EPG) with a really old sky NI blue card, as someone already mentioned is box dependant. 4f3106 is the version I have.

Its a Sky freesat card (white) which is the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Has your parents old sub card been lying around and not been in a box for a while,if so it probably needs to be left in the box overnight to recativate itself. Should work for you then.

smyths wrote: »

Working fine here too.

eddiem10 wrote: »
    I have a NI card and it does not bring the channels onto the EPG. My understanding is that it is also box dependent. My version number is 4f31d5 and no matter what region card I use, or how many times I reboot (twice a week at the moment.... Long story!) I cannot get the channels on the EPG. Contract is up with Sky in a couple of months so Freesat here I come!

Have you tried a forced update. My model no went from R004.049.22.00P to R005.053.70.11P dont know why, it must have been an update and now the full card trick is working where before it wasn't. Maybe the version no has something to do with it too that stayed the same. Just found this: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd-supertelly/50699-new-firmware.html

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭alanashe

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Has your parents old sub card been lying around and not been in a box for a while,if so it probably needs to be left in the box overnight to recativate itself. Should work for you then.

I tried the card on the multiroom box upstairs, it added the UK channels to the EPG, however when I inserted my Irish card I got a message saying that the wrong card is inserted and to contact Sky. I left it in hope that it would sort itself out, but after an hour I got another message saying no satellite signal is being received. Had to ring Sky and get them to reactivate my Irish card.

Box upstairs is version number 4F3106 still on old EPG while the main one downstairs is 4F310A with the new EPG.

Ah well, seems like I have to put up with the blue button trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Are you using the blue button to record or have you the trick channels on the epg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

The box gets 'confused' if you're recording a trick channel and an epg channel at the same time, especially if you attempt to change channel too . I check my recordings to keep them separate

The box gets 'confused' if you're recording a trick channel and an epg channel at the same time, especially if you attempt to change channel too . I check my recordings to keep them separate

Yes thats right, it used to happen me when I tried recocording two trick channels or one trick channel and an ordinary channel while the box was on a third channel. The box wouldn't switch to either channels and would freeze and one of the recordings would fail. I got around it by making sure that the box was on one of the channels that was being recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

eddiem10 wrote: »

I think you could be right. I've tried everything but cannot get the channels on the epg, I also upgraded to HD.

jca wrote: »

I think you could be right. I've tried everything but cannot get the channels on the epg, I also upgraded to HD.
    Sky will be wondering when all us anoraks cancel our hd packs!!! I'd much rather have the trick epg than hd tbh.

The HD issue has only been mentioned once or twice. Personally I think its all to do with the region card. As stated previously I was using a Granada card up to and after the software update and I lost the ITV channels from the EPG.

A few weeks ago I bought a UTV region card and I now have all the UK channels back on the EPG.

The HD issue has only been mentioned once or twice. Personally I think its all to do with the region card. As stated previously I was using a Granada card up to and after the software update and I lost the ITV channels from the EPG.

A few weeks ago I bought a UTV region card and I now have all the UK channels back on the EPG.
    I think you're missing the point here. I used a London card and the trick stopped working after the epg was changed leaving me with blue button only. I then got a utv ftv card but it wouldn't work either. In the meantime I got the hd pack. I'm going to cancel the hd and try my utv card which will be the acid test. I hope it works.... Do you have the hd pack?

jca wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point here. I used a London card and the trick stopped working after the epg was changed leaving me with blue button only. I then got a utv ftv card but it wouldn't work either. In the meantime I got the hd pack. I'm going to cancel the hd and try my utv card which will be the acid test. I hope it works.... Do you have the hd pack?
    Ah sorry, I picked that up wrong. I dont have the HD pack myself.

I then got a utv ftv card but it wouldn't work either. In the meantime I got the hd pack.
    If Im reading that correctly you got the UTV card after the update and it wouldnt put the UK channels on the EPG. You then got the HD pack and the situation remained the same. If thats correct then getting rid if the HD isnt going to help.

• Advertisement

Ah sorry, I picked that up wrong. I dont have the HD pack myself.

If Im reading that correctly you got the UTV card after the update and it wouldnt put the UK channels on the EPG. You then got the HD pack and the situation remained the same. If thats correct then getting rid if the HD isnt going to help.
    I can't remember when I got the hd pack in. I'm going to cancel the hd and then try the trick with the utv card. Worth a bash eh?

Advertisement