Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

just waiting on a tweet to be shared from ocho to the pack ha!

Also like to give a big well done to the D. Played a stormer, especially Aj Hawke. 10 tackles, 3 sacks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Arawn wrote: »
    Also like to give a big well done to the D. Played a stormer, especially Aj Hawke. 10 tackles, 3 sacks

That third sack by Hawk was savage - it looked for all the world like Matthews!

Looking at our schedule (without getting too ahead of ourselves) its not beyond the realms of possibility that we could go 6-0 the next six games. Although all the injuries are going to take their toll of course.

Also looks like we made a play for one of Denvers practice squad guys but he was added to their roster just before we got the chance. And Johnson was taken by the Browns just hours before our game Sunday. Not getting much luck!

That third sack by Hawk was savage - it looked for all the world like Matthews!

Looking at our schedule (without getting too ahead of ourselves) its not beyond the realms of possibility that we could go 6-0 the next six games. Although all the injuries are going to take their toll of course.

Also looks like we made a play for one of Denvers practice squad guys but he was added to their roster just before we got the chance. And Johnson was taken by the Browns just hours before our game Sunday. Not getting much luck!

We will make play-offs. That's what I'm sure of.

It will be interesting to see the team this weekend if James is unavailable. I know we activated a guy off the practice squad yesterday, will more than likely be covering kick and punt returns

We will make play-offs. That's what I'm sure of.
    It's certainly not getting any easier... Nick Perry has broken his foot. Certainly need Hawk to maintain the level of performance he had last week now.

I know the nature of the business means teams suffer injuries but christ we're suffering!

Potential starters that are injured: Perry, Matthews, Harris, Cobb, Hayward, Bulaga, Brad Jones, Starks, James Jones (albeit for a short period) - although Harris nor Starks probably wouldn't be starting now given Lacy's performances.

That's without factoring in the likes of Franklin, Lacy, Burnett, Bakhtiari etc who all had injuries at some point of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

In a bizarre turn of events, promising rookie WR Charles Johnson, who was lost to the Browns last weekend, may be lost to a knee injury for the season! The Browns did an MRI on Johnson's sore knee, which he may have injured in the Packers' training camp, and found he had a torn ACL. This may render the Packers' liable for his rehab, which would mean he would revert to the Packers' roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Injuries aside..... Good win yesterday for the 'Acme Packers'.

They could put a good run together now.

Finlay spent the night in icu. Not a good sign tbh

Finlay released from hospital yesterday, bruised spinal cord. Cannot see him returning this year. Has said he wishes to continue his career. He was flashing the talent we know he has. Would like to see him resigned for less money

Finlay released from hospital yesterday, bruised spinal cord. Cannot see him returning this year. Has said he wishes to continue his career. He was flashing the talent we know he has. Would like to see him resigned for less money

Can't catch a break this year. Another huge loss. Agree with resigning him at a lower price although I'd imagine we might have some competition.

• Advertisement

Can't catch a break this year. Another huge loss. Agree with resigning him at a lower price although I'd imagine we might have some competition.

OH he'll have money offers alright, but I don't think anyone will match his wages he's currently on so I imagine we will resign him. But yeah. We are getting decimated with injuries, IIRC the worst in the league this year per players being out. That's 2 gone for the season and loads sill injured.

Casey Heyward returns this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

What station is this on later, haven't watched any of the late Sunday games.

Channel 4 still showing them?

Channel 4 aye

Channel 4 aye

Thanks. A nice change from streaming the games.

aye! get to see ap rush for 300 yards and 2 tds and still not be enough to beat us.

This prediciton has nothing to do with all day being on my FF team :P

aye! get to see ap rush for 300 yards and 2 tds and still not be enough to beat us.

This prediciton has nothing to do with all day being on my FF team :P

Can't see him having the success he had against us last year. Rush defence has improved quite a bit.

Expect a lot more running of the ball from us as well with Finley now gone.

seiphil wrote: »
    Can't see him having the success he had against us last year. Rush defence has improved quite a bit.

Expect a lot more running of the ball from us as well with Finley now gone.

aye I know. ANyone know if freeman passed the concussion test cos if he did we can just stuff the box

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

aye I know. ANyone know if freeman passed the concussion test cos if he did we can just stuff the box

I think Ponder is starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Hard not to get excited by this Packer team.

We have improved in so many areas - O-line, D-line, run game, LB's, kicking.

How good is Aaron Rodgers :eek: just phenomenal with such a depleted receiver corps.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Hard not to get excited by this Packer team.

We have improved in so many areas - O-line, D-line, run game, LB's, kicking.

How good is Aaron Rodgers :eek: just phenomenal with such a depleted receiver corps.

Agree.. it's actually savage to see the improvement on offense even with so many guys missing. Boykin looked like an experienced pro rather than a man of few starts. Apparently Rodgers said last year he expected big things from him going forward and he's done more than his bit with Jones, Finley and Cobb out.

Rodgers is Rodgers. Just the best in the league at moving the ball. He's a defensive co-ordinator's worst nightmare because you could get everything 100% right, and he will still beat you by putting the ball right on the money or using his feet.

Must say our offensive line is working really well at the minute and Bakhtiari looked good again up against Jared Allen. Fair enough he gave away a penalty for holding (IIRC) but other than that he was very assured. The fact Lacy is running so well helps too. He's given us the edge we needed at that position and Starks looks like he's liking the competition. They're two really powerful runners and it'll keep defenses honest for the season. It was so frustrating last year to see us being 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 8 all the time because we couldn't get the run game going. There's only so much Rodgers can do!

Bears next week at home should be another win although nothing is given easily of course. We've a nice run of games and really should be at least 7-2 from our remaining games as we gradually get guys back from injury and if we maintain the same level of performance.

Think this is a really big opportunity for us this year. I'm certainly optimistic!

• Advertisement

Agree.. it's actually savage to see the improvement on offense even with so many guys missing. Boykin looked like an experienced pro rather than a man of few starts. Apparently Rodgers said last year he expected big things from him going forward and he's done more than his bit with Jones, Finley and Cobb out.

Rodgers is Rodgers. Just the best in the league at moving the ball. He's a defensive co-ordinator's worst nightmare because you could get everything 100% right, and he will still beat you by putting the ball right on the money or using his feet.

Must say our offensive line is working really well at the minute and Bakhtiari looked good again up against Jared Allen. Fair enough he gave away a penalty for holding (IIRC) but other than that he was very assured. The fact Lacy is running so well helps too. He's given us the edge we needed at that position and Starks looks like he's liking the competition. They're two really powerful runners and it'll keep defenses honest for the season. It was so frustrating last year to see us being 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 8 all the time because we couldn't get the run game going. There's only so much Rodgers can do!

Bears next week at home should be another win although nothing is given easily of course. We've a nice run of games and really should be at least 7-2 from our remaining games as we gradually get guys back from injury and if we maintain the same level of performance.

Think this is a really big opportunity for us this year. I'm certainly optimistic!

IIRC the holding call stopped a sack that would of been pretty close to the same yardage so imo was worth it to protect AR. HE has been a revelation thought, granted he gives away a play like that a game, but I much rather that than him let people blow by for a free shot at #12

I am liking how we are so much less dependant on ball hawking this year. Yes turnovers are great motivation for a defence but look at how little first downs we gave up by making them play 3rd and 5+.

I'm not super confident this year because our first choice offence hasn't had a proper run of games together. When I see that then I'll prob be the one over estimating how good we'll do ha

What's the coverage like for MNF on Eurosport?

IIrc it's great on mute. When there is nothing happening in the game.

Another game another win tonight. Possibly the return of jones who has had to sessions under his belt

Well Jon Gruden believes that Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the league at the moment - let's hope that doesn't put the commentator's curse on him!

Looking forward to what should be another win tonight. Good to see Jones back too. Will be good to start gradually get players back over the next few weeks building up towards having almost everyone back for the playoffs.

Going for a 31-17 win tonight.

Looking forward to what should be another win tonight. Good to see Jones back too. Will be good to start gradually get players back over the next few weeks building up towards having almost everyone back for the playoffs.

Going for a 31-17 win tonight.

Is cutler still out?? if so I'd like to say 38-14.... I really hope we just plough through them

Is cutler still out?? if so I'd like to say 38-14.... I really hope we just plough through them

Yeah he's out.

Well, if its like other games, we'll own a couple of quarters.

And then in the final quarter, we'll cough up a TD, maybe 2, and suddenly it'll be a 1 score game, and it'll be a little nervy and the final score will be a little underwhelming.

And then we'll figure out just how many still have to come back from injury and realise that it's all about the winning, and plough on.

Given that the Bears run defense is one of the worst in the league and Lance Briggs absence means they have 2 rookie LB's starting I can see Lacy and Starks getting a lot of carries early on then Aaron will slice them apart through the air.

Half-way point in the season and this game should reveal whether we are developing into true Championship contenders.

• Advertisement

Gonna stay up for this one. Wrecked already though.

Advertisement