Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fage 0% Greek Yogurt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

had my first one today, hardly amazing like what everyone on here seems to rave about :rolleyes:

I prefer the DANONE at 1euro less and same amount of protein and taste

maybe its cool to like fage as people on the internet said so :rolleyes:

What Danone product is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

What Danone product is it?
    Wondering the same. I just looked at their website and couldn't see a Greek style yoghurt listed that is plain (without added fruit).

Wondering too about laws regarding labelling on some of these yoghurts. Was in Aldi yesterday and looked at the label on their Greek style yoghurt - ingredients just said yoghurt! Not very helpful.

I know Fage is expensive but at least you know what you are getting. My impression is that the many of the Greek style yoghurts out there are artificially thickened using dried milk powder or starch. It took a while for my taste buds to get used to Fage as I was used to eating yoghurt which was much sweeter due to added sugar and/or fruit. Also if you can find the full-fat version it has a much more satisfying taste and texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Sorry, its called liberte but a Danone product

same cals per 100g as fage, same fat content, sugars and 9.6g protein per 100g compared to fages 10g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Patww79 wrote: »

Fat isn't the problem with most yoghurts. It's the sugar.

• Advertisement

both have the same sugar content per 100g

fage is 58cals per 100g
    liberte is 57cals

fage has 0.5g per 100g more in protein than liberte

I don't think Alf Veedersane is saying that you should be eating Fage instead of Liberte. He just means that the fat content shouldn't be your biggest concern, it should be sugar.

same cals per 100g as fage, same fat content, sugars and 9.6g protein per 100g compared to fages 10g

It's a Yoplait product and yes it's comparable in macros. That's why it turns up a lot in threads on Fage.

• Advertisement

Is Liberte a Danone product?

Fage_vs_Liberte.jpg

I prefer the texture of Fage but I'll have either. Today, I will mostly be eating Liberte.

Yoplait.

Low-fat typically has sugar to make up for the lack of taste due to fat removal.

Sugar is a far bigger problem than fat for anyone.

Yoplait.

Yeah I was 99% sure myself that it is manufactured by Yoplait, but power pants seems to think it's Danone.
    had my first one today, hardly amazing like what everyone on here seems to rave about :rolleyes:

I prefer the DANONE at 1euro less and same amount of protein and taste

maybe its cool to like fage as people on the internet said so :rolleyes:

no, made a mistake. its actually nike

That's a fair enough reply, whatever works for you :)

I prefer the taste of Fage 0% compared to Liberte, but not by much. And as such, I regularly eat both :)

Be that as it may but it's not likely that the low-fat choices in your diet make or break it.

But in moost cases, people with an issue would be better off making choices that reduce the sugar content of their diet rather than the fat content. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 USD Inflation Swap

My local supermarket sells the full fat Fage, Love the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I don't like Liberte anymore. Much prefer fage.

No, as another poster said, Liberte is a Yoplait product and so is owned General Mills.

It's very hard to see who owns who these days with all the multinational food companies. But as far as I can see there is no link between Danone and Liberte.

From Wikipedia:
    Liberté originally entered the market in 1936 as a manufacturer of cream cheese and cottage cheese centered in Montreal, Quebec...At the end of 2010, Pineridge Group sold Liberté Natural Foods to the multinational yogurt producer Yoplait. In 2011 controlling interest of Yoplait was sold to General Mills. Liberté Natural Foods was subsequently renamed Liberté Inc.

Groupe Danone is a Spanish-French food-products multinational corporation based in Paris. It was founded in Spain in 1919. It produces dairy products, bottled water, cereals, baby foods and yogurts. In the United States it is marketed as the Dannon Company. Brands include: Actimel, Activia, Brown Cow yogurt, YoCrunch, Dannon (United States), Danone, Dann-o-nino, Danimals, Stonyfield Farm, Nutricia, baby food brands including Cow & Gate, Evian, Volvic.

Fage S.A. is a Greek dairy company and one of the major dairy brands in the country. Founded 1926. It manufactures dairy products including milk, yogurt and ice cream. In 1981 exports to the European market began. In October 2012, the company announced that it would be moving its headquarters out of Greece to Luxembourg. Today, FAGE owns and operates three production facilities in Greece (for yogurt, dairy desserts, milk, cream and cheese production) and one yogurt production plant in Johnstown, New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

After a week of eating Fage 0%, have to say I am not impressed! I know its is much better for me than greek style, but have to say there is not much of a taste from it, and its very thick. I much prefer the Lidl Greek Style one, could eat that all day, but suppose I had best persist with the Fage now I have found it!!

Mimojo wrote: »
    After a week of eating Fage 0%, have to say I am not impressed! I know its is much better for me than greek style, but have to say there is not much of a taste from it, and its very thick. I much prefer the Lidl Greek Style one, could eat that all day, but suppose I had best persist with the Fage now I have found it!!

If you don't like it, don't eat it.

If the difference between it and the Lidl one isn't going to make/break your diet then it makes no sense to persist eating something for the sake of it.

My local supermarket sells the full fat Fage, Love the stuff.
    What supermarket is that? Dunnes and Tesco around here only ever seem to sell the 0% type. The full-fat, or even the 2% taste so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

Mimojo wrote: »

Put a sachet of Stevia in it. I couldn't eat the Lidl Greek Style one without it, but on Tuesday I tried Fage for the first time and it's much nicer. Today, I tried Liberte and it's nicer, too. I won't be going back to the Lidl one because I noticed Liberte has much less carbs, even though it's more expensive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

leck wrote: »
    What supermarket is that? Dunnes and Tesco around here only ever seem to sell the 0% type. The full-fat, or even the 2% taste so much better.

I've seen the smaller tubs of full fat in Centra on Westland Row in Dublin, so maybe try other bigger Centra's?

jenizzle wrote: »
    I've seen the smaller tubs of full fat in Centra on Westland Row in Dublin, so maybe try other bigger Centra's?

They had the 500ml tubs there before Christmas at €3.99 a pop.

• Advertisement

was in tescos today

had fage and liberte beside each other in the fridge

I chose liberte. **** you fage !

Advertisement